Pitbulls...

I took Karma to the dog park about a week after Gracie died. There was a hefty woman with two pits and boy did she have attitude. So did her dogs. I immediately got up and dragged Karma out of the fence area and into my car. As I was driving away, I saw the other people taking their dogs out as well. She had this smug look on her face all the while. I laugh about it now because there would have been no smug sarcastic look on her face without her back up. Chickenshit coward that she is.

The worst dogs I generally encounter have been Labs attached to clueless owners who think everyone loves their dogs. Several of my dogs are not keen on exhuberant puppies in adult bodies who get into their faces because "they're just being friendly". They aren't. They are rude. The owners don't get it.

We have four dog parks close to us and each has a different population (dogs and owners). Since we are retired we go in the morning, usually around 0930 and stay 'til about 1100. The owners during those hours are responsible, however some of the owners and some of the dogs in the late afternoon can be problematic.

Oh, Gracie was SOOO pissed off at Karma when I got her as an 8 week old. Gracie was about 6 months old at the time and karma latched on to her like a mama. Karma would want to play and pounce on Gracie and she would wake me up growling and biting Karma and nudging her to SLEEPY TIME LEAVE MOMMY ALONE KID! But were they close? Oh yes. We are short one in the pack now. I still miss Gracie very much. This coming weekend, it will be 18 weeks since she has been gone. Seems like 18 years. :(

btw..Gracie was australian shepherd.

There is a stretch of beach near us. About a 10 minute drive. I took Karma about a month ago so she could run free in the waves. That section of the beach is owned by Standard Oil company. They have signs all over the fencing but one section has been cut away..just wide enough for a dog or two, and an owner or two, to slide thru. On those signs it says "this is our beach. We are letting you use it. Pick up your dog poop. Keep the beach clean. Control your kids. Have your leash handy. Otherwise..enjoy".

There were dogs all over the place happily playing in the water, none with each other. The sea was keeping them occupied..and the waves. Karma wanted none of it and she LOVES water. She stayed right with me, off the leash. We stayed about 15 minutes and she wouldn't budge. Gracie was not there. She didn't want to be either. She wanted her yard where all Gracies balls are still where she last left them.

The worst dogs I generally encounter have been Labs attached to clueless owners who think everyone loves their dogs. Several of my dogs are not keen on exhuberant puppies in adult bodies who get into their faces because "they're just being friendly". They aren't. They are rude. The owners don't get it.

Labs and Goldies are "soft mouth" breeds.....seldom leave a tooth mark on a duck they swim back with and drop. But they can bite hard alright....my Golden got tired of a Doberman growling at her when she was at an adjoining food bowl. Finally she grabbed the thing by the neck and slammed in on the kitchen floor. We were all standing there with our mouths hanging open...She'd never displayed any kind of behavior like that before....I must say I was real proud of her and made sure she knew it.

Most dogs when they are allowed to interact with each other naturally - will inhibit their bites. It's the insecure or fearful ones that frequently need to posture or bite inappropriately.

My good friend had a wonderful Rottie, Jake, that she rescued. Jake had a wonderfull temperment - a very appropriate alpha. She had multiple dogs. He never went beyond what was necessary to make a point and almost never left a mark on the other dog. Some dogs - he knew were just kind of..."that boy ain't right" - and he cut them a break. Other dogs he knew that despite their attitude - were no threat (a certain chihuahua) and he let ignored them. When I was visiting her one time, when my dog Cowboy was younger - he really pissed off Jake by nipping him on the butt during a pack hike. I'll be the first to admit that aussies can be assholes (like may herding dogs) - Jake took him down and, her Pitt, Elwood also joined in (another dog with a steller temperment). When we seperated everyone (in this situation the biggest concern is other dog's joining in) - the only damage Cowboy had was basically from us pulling dogs off - a rip on his ear, and swellling on his cheek from the pressure of Elwood's bite. Not a single puncture or major wound. And that's a pitt and a rottie. Both are gone now sadly - but could have been poster children for their breeds.

There is a stretch of beach near us. About a 10 minute drive. I took Karma about a month ago so she could run free in the waves. That section of the beach is owned by Standard Oil company. They have signs all over the fencing but one section has been cut away..just wide enough for a dog or two, and an owner or two, to slide thru. On those signs it says "this is our beach. We are letting you use it. Pick up your dog poop. Keep the beach clean. Control your kids. Have your leash handy. Otherwise..enjoy".

There were dogs all over the place happily playing in the water, none with each other. The sea was keeping them occupied..and the waves. Karma wanted none of it and she LOVES water. She stayed right with me, off the leash. We stayed about 15 minutes and she wouldn't budge. Gracie was not there. She didn't want to be either. She wanted her yard where all Gracies balls are still where she last left them.

That's wonderful that you have a beach nearby! What kind of dog is Karma?

Moki is a rat terrier...he is an ornery cuss. Gracie was very gentle. She loved to herd but instead of doing that, she fixated on her tennis balls and would "herd" them all over the yard. One day, Moki decided to pick a fight with Gracie. They were elbows and assholes and drawing blood..moki hanging on to Gracies ear, gracie swinging moki around like he was a tether ball. I turned the hose on them. They both hate baths and water. Afterwards.....moki tentatively went up to Gracie, who gave him the stink eye but didn't move. Moki began to lick Gracies ear..then he washed her face and her eyes with his tongue. She in turn licked him back. From then on....when they got to where it wasn't play time any more and they began to get pissed off...or one yelped at a nip that hurt...they both would stop and lick the air then bellies down go to each other to lick each other. It was amazing to see. They made up in the only way they knew how. Kisses.

Karma is yellow lab. Moki rat terrier. Gracie was Australian sheperd. Pretties..well...she is a cat but thinks she is a dog.

I think I still have pics in the pet forum of them all. The one called Gracie is Seizing Again. Maybe it is in general. Not sure. I have not gone back for a long time to that thread. It makes me cry.

It is the ONLY beach that is leash free along the california coastline. At least, the only one I can find in google.

Actually, there are a few. I went to look again. This one I went to is closest to me.

Last edited:
I think there's ample evidence that Pits are a dangerous breed of dog.....all dogs can be made menacing with abuse or neglect. But I doubt you'll find hundreds of accounts of a collie or golden retriever ripping innocent bystanders or even family members apart for no apparent reason other than they were around when the thing went off.....to wit:

https://www.google.com/#q=pit+bull+attacks

That's because typically, ignorant, criminal people don't gravitate towards collies and golden retrievers.

If they did, then collies and golden retrievers would be the ones *going off*.

All animals are potentially dangerous, and the more powerful they are the more potential they have to be deadly.

But pits don't just explode for no reason. If a pit isn't safe, it's because it was raised wrong.

I would not trust a collie. Particularly a purebred one. They, like St. Bernards, have become too inbred. In some cases, breeding for the long muzzle has resulted in the dog's eyes being too far apart making them almost blind.

However, if you thought there was more to this story than a housepet going off, you were right.

Pit bull likely ate owner's hands - SFGate

WILTON, Conn. -- Two days after a dog bit off a woman's hand and her other arm, sources said her hands were likely eaten. And police said they had been to her home in the past for problems with the same dog.

Police have also come to Murray's home several times to arrest her 26-year-old son, Ian, according to state court records. Ian Murray was given a five-year suspended sentence after he was found guilty of a 2005 robbery and conspiracy to commit first-degree robbery. He was also found guilty of violating his probation in 2010 in connection with that case.

Bet the son was taking some kind of drugs and the dog got into the stash. Or, was generally mistreated by the criminal son and had enough.

I'm a Christian and believe our souls are delivered one place or the other when we pass over. But I also believe dogs are reincarnated....I bet Gracie is a wiggling puppy somewhere this evening...full of piss and vinegar and then sleeping like a rock. I bet you run into her again someday in her new body.....you'll know her and she'll know you if only for a moment. :eusa_angel:

I don't let my dog around other dogs. She does tend to bite dogs. She's blind and willing to be tail wagging friendly, she draws the line at sniffing. She will not permit another dog to sniff her that's when she's ready to fight.

When she was about six months old and still able to see, a rottweiler growled at her cat. Arwen was a white frenzy at that rottie. Every time he turned she was gone bite an ear, tail, foot, quick as could be until he stopped paying attention to the cat and got on his belly. She was nothing but a white blur.

I'm a Christian and believe our souls are delivered one place or the other when we pass over. But I also believe dogs are reincarnated....I bet Gracie is a wiggling puppy somewhere this evening...full of piss and vinegar and then sleeping like a rock. I bet you run into her again someday in her new body.....you'll know her and she'll know you if only for a moment. :eusa_angel:

I believe that my loved ones will be waiting for me so we can all be together again.

Pit bull chews off owner's arm, hand - Connecticut Post

A number of recent deadly attacks in that link...

What gives?...

:)

peace...

And that owner was probably one of the gazillions of people who say, 'punish the deed not the breed, my pit is a honey he wouldn't hurt a fly.' Pits and Dobermans have been bred to attack. And that's what they do. If you defend a pit, you deserve what you get.

They're terriers for sure...but no more likely to *go off* than any other terrier..and a lot less likely to go off than my PRT.

Anyone who says any dog would never hurt a fly is delusional...but that's not to say that pits are any worse.

And answer this...how many pit bosses have been killed by fighting pits? None that I've ever heard of. Because for all that pits fight ferociously, they fight ferociously FOR their owners. They overcome their fear of fighting (and they are afraid) for the sake of their owners. They are endlessly loyal.

But they are animals. Don't leave your baby closed up in a room with them, and don't expect them to act like pussy cats if they are running loose with other dogs, or chained in your yard, or in sniffing vicinity of bitches in heat.

Dogs are just dogs, ultimately, and if they aren't properly supervised, there are whole dozens of scenarios where they can put a serious hurt on someone.

That doesn't mean you eliminate all the scary breeds. A dachsund chewed off the legs of a baby and killed the baby...I mean, it's not just pits.

"Still, pit bulls, although they have legions of admirers, have killed and maimed countless times before. The most recent pit bull death occurred last week in Kernersville, N.C., when 25-year-old Katherine Atkins was set upon by her two dogs while she was attempting to feed them. She had owned the dogs since they were puppies, Kernersville police said.

And last month, 5-year-old Jason Ryan, of Baker City, Ore., was set upon by a neighbor's pit bull. He died in the ambulance. In September, two toddlers were mauled to death by pit bulls, one in Colton, Calif., the other in Gilbert, Ariz."

^That's what's troubling to me... And it's not just Pitbulls that I don't Trust around my kids, I don't Trust any Dogs around my Kids.

I have Personally known (2) Girls who have been Permanently Scared in the Face by Family Dogs and one of my Wife's Teammates a few years back had their German Shepherd attack their Baby...

Sick thing in that Case, the Police allowed the Dog to stay and the "Man" of the House won out of the Wife about the Dog staying... The dog remains in the Home.

I just don't Trust Animals... I understand the Appeal, but the Attacks I have seen in my Life leave me with little want or need to Expose Defenseless Children to them.

Hell, look what these Dogs have done to their Adult Owners?

To each their own, I just don't Trust Animals.

peace...

I came across pitbull attack videos while surfing the net one night. I cannot believe that anybody would want one of these beasts. Funny thing, almost every owner interviewed after their animal maimed or destroyed another animal or even a human...they just cannot believe how nice, kind Fifi could ever have done such a thing.
Dogs of different breeds have been selectively bred for generations (in some cases) to do a specific job. Pits were bred to be killers. You want to have one in the same house with your kids, good luck. You want to have one that comes and kills any of my animals, get your shovel.

"Still, pit bulls, although they have legions of admirers, have killed and maimed countless times before. The most recent pit bull death occurred last week in Kernersville, N.C., when 25-year-old Katherine Atkins was set upon by her two dogs while she was attempting to feed them. She had owned the dogs since they were puppies, Kernersville police said.

And last month, 5-year-old Jason Ryan, of Baker City, Ore., was set upon by a neighbor's pit bull. He died in the ambulance. In September, two toddlers were mauled to death by pit bulls, one in Colton, Calif., the other in Gilbert, Ariz."

^That's what's troubling to me... And it's not just Pitbulls that I don't Trust around my kids, I don't Trust any Dogs around my Kids.

I have Personally known (2) Girls who have been Permanently Scared in the Face by Family Dogs and one of my Wife's Teammates a few years back had their German Shepherd attack their Baby...

Sick thing in that Case, the Police allowed the Dog to stay and the "Man" of the House won out of the Wife about the Dog staying... The dog remains in the Home.

I just don't Trust Animals... I understand the Appeal, but the Attacks I have seen in my Life leave me with little want or need to Expose Defenseless Children to them.

peace...

I came across pitbull attack videos while surfing the net one night. I cannot believe that anybody would want one of these beasts. Funny thing, almost every owner interviewed after their animal maimed or destroyed another animal or even a human...they just cannot believe how nice, kind Fifi could ever have done such a thing.
Dogs of different breeds have been selectively bred for generations (in some cases) to do a specific job. Pits were bred to be killers. You want to have one in the same house with your kids, good luck. You want to have one that comes and kills any of my animals, get your shovel.

Pit's weren't bred to be "killers" - they were bred to fight other dogs.

I think there's ample evidence that Pits are a dangerous breed of dog.....all dogs can be made menacing with abuse or neglect. But I doubt you'll find hundreds of accounts of a collie or golden retriever ripping innocent bystanders or even family members apart for no apparent reason other than they were around when the thing went off.....to wit:

https://www.google.com/#q=pit+bull+attacks

That's because typically, ignorant, criminal people don't gravitate towards collies and golden retrievers.

If they did, then collies and golden retrievers would be the ones *going off*.

All animals are potentially dangerous, and the more powerful they are the more potential they have to be deadly.

But pits don't just explode for no reason. If a pit isn't safe, it's because it was raised wrong.

I would not trust a collie. Particularly a purebred one. They, like St. Bernards, have become too inbred. In some cases, breeding for the long muzzle has resulted in the dog's eyes being too far apart making them almost blind.

However, if you thought there was more to this story than a housepet going off, you were right.

Pit bull likely ate owner's hands - SFGate

WILTON, Conn. -- Two days after a dog bit off a woman's hand and her other arm, sources said her hands were likely eaten. And police said they had been to her home in the past for problems with the same dog.

Police have also come to Murray's home several times to arrest her 26-year-old son, Ian, according to state court records. Ian Murray was given a five-year suspended sentence after he was found guilty of a 2005 robbery and conspiracy to commit first-degree robbery. He was also found guilty of violating his probation in 2010 in connection with that case.

Bet the son was taking some kind of drugs and the dog got into the stash. Or, was generally mistreated by the criminal son and had enough.

This is absolutely disgusting. I get the point that many pitbull owners are low class people who don't train their dogs properly and don't manage them intelligently, but you just don't hear these kinds of stories about other dogs, and plenty of low class, unintelligent people have plenty of other breeds of dogs that don't do things like this.

From the link:
pit bull owners, swiftly defended the breed, saying that any breed of dog can become aggressive and that incidents involving pit bulls tend to be unfairly sensationalized
These pitbull owners are always defending these dogs and making excuses for them, but there have also always been many stories of pitbulls from normal, average homes who go off like this too: it isn't because they aren't raised in caring homes with responsible owners. They are just dogs that 'go off' and when they do, are deadly. IMO the whole breed should be put down and ended. Such animals are not something we need. It's like keeping sharks for pets.

peace...

And that aggressiveness carries over to other animals, as well. They were bred to kill or be killed.

Oh, I believe that myself. Which is why I waited before looking for new pack members when Charlie, Chooch and Fatty died. I was dogless. I hated it. Hated coming home. Hated waking up. Hated being in that cold empty apartment. No wet noses or wagging tails to greet me, no kitty to pat my face with claws sheathed and those claws as big as my palm. Nothing. just emptiness. So..I waited. I got LOTS of dogs out of the pound but none worked out so I found good homes for all of them. I had friends in rescue groups who helped too. I paid for neutering and spaying and adoption fees so much, I got in major trouble with my CC company. I was a walking zombie without my pack. And one gal I never met...she took a malnourished, bone rack of a dog I found at the pound and bottle fed it, took it to the vet (where I helped pay for whatever that dog needed), and turns out she was psychic. She didn't know about Chooch. She didn't know he was a black lab. She didn't know anything about him or me. I was visiting her and the rescued dog one day and out of the blue she said "I have a message for you. From...ChooChoo? Choochy? Black dog. Looked like a lab. He said to tell you he didn't want to leave...but someone else needed him more and he had to die". (He was hit by a truck when the idiot Sister In Law let him out one night without my knowledge, so he could run. He died on the way to the ER). I got goosebumps when she said that. Then I got angry. I yelled at her and said "well, you tell CHOOCH that I needed him MORE. I NEED HIM" and I burst into tears. She just hugged me and said to wait. He will return. And he did. Karma is Chooch. I tease Karma all the time. "Choochy. You came back yellow, and a girl". She just looks at me and smiles the way dogs do. Charlie came back too. He was Gracie. Moki....I don't know who he was or is. He is just Moki. FattyCat sent Pretties just to be ornery, lol.

So yes. I wait. She is not meant to be found yet. Gracie will come back. And if I am meant to find her, then we will be in the right place at the right time. But for now..she is safe, pain free, and in the care of someone I trust explicitly. She is with Jesus.

And that aggressiveness carries over to other animals, as well. They were bred to kill or be killed.

Not necessarily Gallant Warrier. Dog to dog aggression is very specific.

Now, I'll add that it is in the best interest of Pitbull lovers and breeders to breed away from dog aggression - dog fighting is illegal.

Most of the pits I know are in my friend's all-breed rescue and live in a large multi-dog and cat pack. The dogs range from a Rottie mix to Chihuahua and they get along just fine.

Forum List

Back