Pitbull love

What I'm wondering is who came up w/ the idea to get that breed :confused: Her BF :eusa_whistle: That is not the typical breed of dog that women get ;)

Last edited:
i assure you k/g isnt gonna endanger her kids.....simple as that.....

i am not a pit person.....several of my friends are....and the ones who keep pits for pets dont have any issues......its the ones who want to fight them or breed them to attack that have problems....

in all fairness i will say that dobermans have been breed for family pets over the last couple of decades...they are no longer breed for aggression....i think most people think of them as more a family watch dog now....you still dont wanna see one running at you with his teeth bared....

the few times i have heard of dobies turning and its short and sweet is when you are trying to put them asses out in the cold...they do not like that....

What I'm wondering is who came up w/ the idea to get that breed :confused: Her BF :eusa_whistle: That is not the typical breed of dog that women get ;)

My daughter and I adopted our staffordshire mix at a shelter, because she was the cutest, sweetest dog in the entire building.

You're such a fucking moron at times, dot.

Posts on the previous pages mention pits turning for no apparent reason. As you said, I read about a Dobie turning a few years ago too for no apparent reason. These are animals and, as such, are unpredictable. My point is why voluntarily take the risk, w/ a breed like that, ESPECIALLY when KG is basically going it alone. :dunno:

My daughter and I adopted our staffordshire mix at a shelter, because she was the cutest, sweetest dog in the entire building.

You're also married (as you have indicated numerous times, WITHOUT provocation I might add). :eusa_whistle: :eusa_hand: That changes the dynamic. THINK!!!

Last edited:
Lab, family pet for 7 years, attacks boy:

Boy attacked by Labrador Retriever | 9news.com

Any dog can be a danger to humans. It is important to never completely trust any dog or pet.

But, here is the big difference in regard to pit bulls vs. other breeds.

Again, from the April 2011 edition of Annals of Surgery, Volume 253, Number 4, and is entitled "Mortality, Mauling, and Maiming by Vicious Dogs."

• "Pit bulls not only are notorious for their indiscriminate attack pattern but also as well known for the tenacity with which they continue to attack.

• "The inbred tenacity of pit bulls, the unrelenting manner in which they initiate and continue their attacks, and the damage they cause are the result of both genetics and environment. Therefore, this breed of dog is inherently dangerous."

• "As stated by one author, 'Temperament is not the issue, nor is it even relevant. What is relevant is actuarial risk. If almost any other dog has a bad moment, someone may get bitten, but will not be maimed for life or killed, and the actuarial risk is accordingly reasonable. If a Pit Bull Terrier or a Rottweiler has a bad moment, often someone is maimed or killed, and that has now created off-the-chart actuarial risk, for which the dogs and their victims are paying the price.'"

• "If the risk of a fatal attack is normalized to Labrador Retrievers and Labrador-mix breeds (the most common registered dog in the United States), the relative risk of death related to pit bull attacks is more than 2500 times higher."

Issues with the study you've posted are outlined here: http://nationalcanineresearchcouncil.com/uploaded_files/tinymce/Bini-Commentary-FINAL.pdf

study contains lots of misinformation and inaccurate stats. Further, most ER practitioners aren't able to knowledgeably identify dog breeds. They are relying upon second-hand reports from victims and witnesses, most of whom aren't experts.

If a significant percentage of our dogs are dogs of undocumented origin, what are we to make of
all the dog bite statistics we have been collecting that purport to correlate a bite incident with a breed
of a dog?6 We would be very surprised if documented ancestries are available for any of the dogs
involved in the 82 incidents described by Dr. Bini and his collaborators as containing reliable breed
attributions of the dogs involved.

Thus, while the authors may be able to quantify the severity of injuries suffered by the victims, an
understanding of the nature of the American dog population, combined with a reading of the most
recent research on visual breed identification shows that they cannot reliably correlate each incident
with a breed of dog, whether or not a breed attribution of the dog was available.
The authors glamorize their paper with a claim that one of every five child visits to an emergency room
is in consequence of a dog bite. Had they queried the publicly available database of the Centers for
Disease Control and Prevention, they would have learned that dog bite victims aged 0 - 14 constitute
less than 2% -- that is, less than one in fifty -- of the children aged 0 – 14 who go to an emergency room
as a result of an injury. And this does not include those who go as a result of illness
. 7

WHO is the National Canine Research Council?

You're also married (as you have indicated numerous times, WITHOUT provocation I might add). :eusa_whistle: :eusa_hand: That changes the dynamic. THINK!!!

I adopted the dog several years before I was married.

I adopted the dog several years before I was married.

link... :eusa_hand: So you lucked out. Others aren't so lucky. I'm saying, why take the chance especially when you have smallish children @ and, as Unkotare pointed out, there are NUMEROUS other breeds to choose from?

Last edited:
People who aren't up for it shouldn't have pits.

And people with kids shouldn't let them roll around with multiple dogs, and monitor all their interaction with any dogs.

Don't let them approach strange dogs, don't allow them to go near dogs on chains, and don't leave them alone in a room or a house with any dog(s) unless you have a fool-proof safety plan.

Until literally just the last few weeks, if I left the house and my kids were in the house, I took the saint with me. Even if I was just going out into the yard to take the garbage out, Klaus went with me. Because he's big and young and kids behave inappropriately.

-Not the best choice as a companion animal

-Not the best choice as a service dog

-Not the best choice as a watch dog

-Not the best choice as a guard dog

-Not the best choice as a hunting dog

-Not the best choice as a sled dog

-Not the best choice as an agility dog

There is no legitimate reason to expose both humans and the poor dogs themselves to the increased risk involved. And when you look at how many of the humans mauled by these dogs have been children, no rational person should even consider it.

--Not the best choice as a companion animal-
This is BS. Take a good look at abused Pit Bulls. You wont ever find a breed that will endure the abuse and neglect thees dogs do, and still be so eager to love humans after. They only get the rep for big attitude, but none for their big hearts. For the right owner, Pits are the best companion dogs.

-Not the best choice as a service dog-
Only because they have never been looked at seriously as service dogs. This has been changing. Denver has breed bans on pits, yet they are exempt if they are service dogs. Read about it here-

7NEWS - Denver Allows Pit Bulls As Service Dogs - News Story

And service dogs for our disabled Vets-

Pit Bulls Used As Service Dogs For Wounded Veterans « CBS Chicago

And one more out of a billion-

What Happens When A Pit Bull is a Service Dog? - Technorati Lifestyle

-Not the best choice as a watch dog-
Any dog that barks makes a good guard dog. Pits bars, so they make fine guard dogs.

-Not the best choice as a guard dog-
Same as above.

-Not the best choice as a hunting dog-
Maybe not for upland birds, but Pits will hunt like crazy. You would not hunt pheasant with a shitzu. I grew up hunting pigs with Pit Bulls. Squirrel and rabbit were in this dogs skill set to.

Garcia_09_01_12_0002.jpg

This is not my dog, or my pic, but its a scene I have seen a thousand times. I dont hunt pigs with dogs any more. Its to gruesome for me. But a Pit will hunt, and will do so in a pack of mixed breeds to.

--Not the best choice as a sled dog-
Most likely not, but a Pit Bull will freeze to death trying to be the BEST sled dog if it knew that's what you wanted.

-Not the best choice as an agility dog-
Not super sexy like a Border Collie, but if you look, you can see the shame in the dogs body language for failing.

-There is no legitimate reason to expose both humans and the poor dogs themselves to the increased risk involved. And when you look at how many of the humans mauled by these dogs have been children, no rational person should even consider it.-
This is true about all dogs, as well as horses, cattle, etc, etc. The fact that children are mauled so much falls 100% on the shoulders of the owners and parents.

Yup.

I've watched boar hunting on tv, they actually have armor for the dogs.

It's a little rich for me, too.

You're either up for having certain types of animals..or you aren't. Truth is, people who shouldn't have animals at all often are responsible for the bad behavior of their dogs...by letting them run off leash, by encouraging (even inadvertently) dangerous behavior...

And often people are stupid around dogs. DON'T APPROACH DOGS IF THEY AREN'T YOURS. I don't know how much more simple to make it. I love dogs...and I don't, and I taught my children to never....walk up to a dog you don't know. Either let the owner bring the dog to you, or studiously ignore the dog. Don't walk up to it or crouch down and start flapping it's ears and making silly noises or dangle your child around them. It's just stupid.

Be aware of the dogs around you. If you see 2-3 powerful dogs off leash in an environment where you don't think there's any control being exerted, and you feel hinky, don't grab your kid and trot past them. Get the hell out of dodge and call the cops. Push for enforcement of leash laws. Push for prosecution of animal abuse/neglect. Report dangerous activities you see with dogs (if I see a group of people loitering with a bunch of loose dogs, and little kids on the ground and the dogs are not under control, I will call the authorities to report it. They might not do anything, but if enough people report this behavior, authorities will start talking to people about it when they are in the neighborhood).

Teach your kids to stay out of people's yards, to stay away from chained dogs (not just because chained dogs are potentially dangerous themselves...but because if they get the chain/cable/rope wrapped around a part of the kid and hit the end of it, it can have devastating consequences).

Never assume the world is a perfectly safe place for you and your children. It is not the responsibility of everyone else to make sure you are safe. Take some responsibility for your own safety. If you are nervous about certain animals, everyone who has one shouldn't be forced to get rid of theirs. Just stay away from them. And if dog attacks are an issue in an area..it's not the breed, it's the behavior...you need to deal with the environment that is leading to these attacks. Usually there are dumbasses involved who are careless with their dogs and their kids.

-Not the best choice as a hunting dog-

To suggest that a Pit can in any way compare to any type of hound as a hunting dog is beyond absurd. Perhaps you misunderstand the purpose of a hunting dog.

You are speaking on a subject of which you know little. from the age of 7 I rand our dogs after pigs with my Father, Grand Father, and brothers until I was 25. I strongly recommend you dont take my word for it, but anyone who is curious will very quickly see that you are just wrong all over the place.

Forum List

Back