Pitbull love

Pit bulls are fighting dogs. The last 30 years in the US, they have been bred largely for that purpose, if has influenced the bred as a whole.

Not in the sense your statement makes them out to be. And forget about the last 30 years in the US, its been longer in this country and all over the world. In those 30 years lots of work has been done to mellow the breed, just like it was with Roti's, Dobie's, and shepherds. looting back, I remember how my Mom would freak out if the neighbors German Shepherd even looked at me, yet it was completely fine with her if I layed on a pile of pit bulls and watched TV.

-Not the best choice as a watch dog-

Some breeds were bred specifically for that purpose and are therefore much better at it. Pit bulls were bred for another purpose.

watchdog - definition of watchdog by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

watch·dog (wchdôg, -dg)
n.
1. A dog trained to guard people or property.
2. One who serves as a guardian or protector against waste, loss, or illegal practices.

Any dog will fit this bill with little training.

Pit bulls are fighting dogs. The last 30 years in the US, they have been bred largely for that purpose, if has influenced the bred as a whole.

Not in the sense your statement makes them out to be. And forget about the last 30 years in the US, its been longer in this country and all over the world. In those 30 years lots of work has been done to mellow the breed, just like it was with Roti's, Dobie's, and shepherds. looting back, I remember how my Mom would freak out if the neighbors German Shepherd even looked at me, yet it was completely fine with her if I layed on a pile of pit bulls and watched TV.

By some people, of course, but you have far more breeders who are breeding them to fight, which means as a whole they are breeding in the traits that make the best pit fighters, it's as simple as that.

Which is why it's important that people don't pretend that pit bulls are the same as poodles, and that it's all about showering them with love. Pits need a firm hand, they need real training, and owners who understand that their dogs can kill them.

Some breeds were bred specifically for that purpose and are therefore much better at it. Pit bulls were bred for another purpose.
This is true.

By some people, of course, but you have far more breeders who are breeding them to fight, which means as a whole they are breeding in the traits that make the best pit fighters, it's as simple as that.

Which is why it's important that people don't pretend that pit bulls are the same as poodles, and that it's all about showering them with love. Pits need a firm hand, they need real training, and owners who understand that their dogs can kill them.

Thats what I was getting at earlier. They were bred to fight/kill in close quarters.

Last edited:

It does not take much breeding. They are called "game dogs " for a reason. This is where the owners being responsible comes in. Thee dog fight crowed also has contaminated the breed so badly that the things that are being passed off as pit bulls are definable NOT Pit Bulls. As far as not treating your Pit Bull like its a poodle, I have to agree. And showering them with love does nothing for you. They will always love you, but you have to know that you cant take them to the dog park, you cant let them be alone with kids, or company, etc, etc. Any dog can kill its owner, and some dogs sadly need to be euthanized because there is just no place for them. But, the fact remains, Pit Bulls have no magical killing powers or prowess, their jaws dont produce 2000 pounds of bite force, they dont just "snap" and they are no more likely to attack people then any other dog is.

Pit bulls are in the top 3 breeds in bite force, and not shockingly the other dogs are rots and shepherds, both bred for attack/defense purposes.

Honestly, I'm not attempting to demonize the breed, I'm just pointing out that ignoring nature and clinging to the nurture approach is one reason why so many people are mauled and killed by pits.

Pit bulls are in the top 3 breeds in bite force, and not shockingly the other dogs are rots and shepherds, both bred for attack/defense purposes.

Honestly, I'm not attempting to demonize the breed, I'm just pointing out that ignoring nature and clinging to the nurture approach is one reason why so many people are mauled and killed by pits.

With all respect, that is a myth. Pit bulls just do everything with a 110%X10 attitude. Its not he strength of their jaws, its how they are built, and how they use them. Now, look into this face and tell me this is a killer.-

normal_IMG_20121017_142713.jpg

Or this one here.-

1330589412984-1.jpg

The last one is his cartoon self.

With all due respect, it's not a myth.

Which Dog Has the Most Powerful Bite? | eHow.com

"The dog breed with the most powerful BFQ is the Rottweiler, followed closely by the German Shepherd and the Pit Bull. "

See, those were not facts. And they dont define "Pit bull" either. Their is no science in the article. Not trying to be a dick here but most folks dont know what a pit bull is, and truth be told, they are almost extinct.

See this here ?-

pitbull.jpg

Many call this abomination a pit bull. And the "thing" in that picture most surely has an amazing amount of force in its bite, and thats most likely what they refer to in the shoddy ehow article.

Now this dog here is pretty close to a true pit bull. Most likely half the size and muscle mass of what people with an agenda call a Pit Bull.-

PitBullHannahBone.JPG

Lots of confusion about this breed. The amazing 2,000 pound bite force is not confusion, its an untruth.

One of the reasons I was always uncomfortable with pits, aside from the fact that they're terriers, is that because of the structure of their heads, it's very difficult for me to read them. I can look at most dogs' and see by the way they're holding their ears, and eyes, and even their mouths, what is going on with them.

Pits have clipped ears (often) and their eyes are different than other dogs...and they have such massive jaws that even the way they hold their mouths is different. I can't looka at a picture of a dog's face and say "oh my gosh that dog would never attack".

But I can't look at a picture of a horse (usually) and tell you if it's a threat to life and limb, either.

People who ignore the fact that large animals have the potential ability to kill, and genetics definitely plays a part in their behavior, are fooling themselves. Be smart about your dogs and others, take responsibility for your actions and the actions of your kids, teach proper dog interaction techniques and avoid the breeds you aren't fond of.

The horse world goes through the same thing....you'll get people who like one breed demonizing another ("all Arabs are crazy! Morgans kick! Quarter horses buck! No, quarter horses love kids! Thoroughbreds rear!) and then you get the ones who say "it's all about how they're trained!" Well no, it's not. I mean, how they're trained influences how they turn out, but different breeds have different tendencies....

dogs are no different. They're bred to be different, and they are. And the breeds who are bred to put a hurt on things are going to know how to do that. So you better be up to training them, or stay the hell away.

But don't insist OTHER people avoid them as well. That's just asinine. And the retards are going to get them anyway.

It's exactly the same as the gun issue...whoever mentioned that was right.

"The dog breed with the most powerful BFQ is the Rottweiler, followed closely by the German Shepherd and the Pit Bull. "

See, those were not facts. And they dont define "Pit bull" either. Their is no science in the article. Not trying to be a dick here but most folks dont know what a pit bull is, and truth be told, they are almost extinct.

See this here ?-

pitbull.jpg

Many call this abomination a pit bull. And the "thing" in that picture most surely has an amazing amount of force in its bite, and thats most likely what they refer to in the shoddy ehow article.

Now this dog here is pretty close to a true pit bull. Most likely half the size and muscle mass of what people with an agenda call a Pit Bull.-

PitBullHannahBone.JPG

Lots of confusion about this breed. The amazing 2,000 pound bite force is not confusion, its an untruth.

The one on top looks like a staffordshire.

See this here ?-

pitbull.jpg

PitBullHannahBone.JPG

The one on top looks like a staffordshire.

Its hard to say. So many mix them with so many other breed that its almost impossible to say.

Here, try this out. Its pretty fun. Hit the link and ID the Pit Bull.

Pet Pitbull - Find the Pit Bull

Forum List

Back