Pitbull love

Here is his other side. he is laying with my retired dog Chopper. The tan dog in that picture has attacked people twice. He is waiting for his third strike. But he is a good dog to.

photo.JPG

Aw, he looks a little anxious. i love that they haven't eaten your couch. I'm afraid to get leather.

Lab, family pet for 7 years, attacks boy:

Boy attacked by Labrador Retriever | 9news.com

Any dog can be a danger to humans. It is important to never completely trust any dog or pet.

But, here is the big difference in regard to pit bulls vs. other breeds.

Again, from the April 2011 edition of Annals of Surgery, Volume 253, Number 4, and is entitled "Mortality, Mauling, and Maiming by Vicious Dogs."

• "Pit bulls not only are notorious for their indiscriminate attack pattern but also as well known for the tenacity with which they continue to attack.

• "The inbred tenacity of pit bulls, the unrelenting manner in which they initiate and continue their attacks, and the damage they cause are the result of both genetics and environment. Therefore, this breed of dog is inherently dangerous."

• "As stated by one author, 'Temperament is not the issue, nor is it even relevant. What is relevant is actuarial risk. If almost any other dog has a bad moment, someone may get bitten, but will not be maimed for life or killed, and the actuarial risk is accordingly reasonable. If a Pit Bull Terrier or a Rottweiler has a bad moment, often someone is maimed or killed, and that has now created off-the-chart actuarial risk, for which the dogs and their victims are paying the price.'"

• "If the risk of a fatal attack is normalized to Labrador Retrievers and Labrador-mix breeds (the most common registered dog in the United States), the relative risk of death related to pit bull attacks is more than 2500 times higher."

lol...which one is klaus?

The big brown and white saint bernard..not the one sitting up in the chair in my pics, that was a friend's. Mine is the beautiful one who looks super intelligent.

Any dog can be a danger to humans. It is important to never completely trust any dog or pet.

Again, from the April 2011 edition of Annals of Surgery, Volume 253, Number 4, and is entitled "Mortality, Mauling, and Maiming by Vicious Dogs."

• "Pit bulls not only are notorious for their indiscriminate attack pattern but also as well known for the tenacity with which they continue to attack.

• "The inbred tenacity of pit bulls, the unrelenting manner in which they initiate and continue their attacks, and the damage they cause are the result of both genetics and environment. Therefore, this breed of dog is inherently dangerous."

• "As stated by one author, 'Temperament is not the issue, nor is it even relevant. What is relevant is actuarial risk. If almost any other dog has a bad moment, someone may get bitten, but will not be maimed for life or killed, and the actuarial risk is accordingly reasonable. If a Pit Bull Terrier or a Rottweiler has a bad moment, often someone is maimed or killed, and that has now created off-the-chart actuarial risk, for which the dogs and their victims are paying the price.'"

• "If the risk of a fatal attack is normalized to Labrador Retrievers and Labrador-mix breeds (the most common registered dog in the United States), the relative risk of death related to pit bull attacks is more than 2500 times higher."

True enough I suppose.

I still don't believe they should be outlawed. Unless you're going to outlaw Rotts and the presarios as well and all the other dangerous dogs..because as soon as pits are made illegal, some other power breed will just move in to fill the vacuum.

Issues with the study you've posted are outlined here: http://nationalcanineresearchcouncil.com/uploaded_files/tinymce/Bini-Commentary-FINAL.pdf

study contains lots of misinformation and inaccurate stats. Further, most ER practitioners aren't able to knowledgeably identify dog breeds. They are relying upon second-hand reports from victims and witnesses, most of whom aren't experts.

If a significant percentage of our dogs are dogs of undocumented origin, what are we to make of
all the dog bite statistics we have been collecting that purport to correlate a bite incident with a breed
of a dog?6 We would be very surprised if documented ancestries are available for any of the dogs
involved in the 82 incidents described by Dr. Bini and his collaborators as containing reliable breed
attributions of the dogs involved.

Thus, while the authors may be able to quantify the severity of injuries suffered by the victims, an
understanding of the nature of the American dog population, combined with a reading of the most
recent research on visual breed identification shows that they cannot reliably correlate each incident
with a breed of dog, whether or not a breed attribution of the dog was available.
The authors glamorize their paper with a claim that one of every five child visits to an emergency room
is in consequence of a dog bite. Had they queried the publicly available database of the Centers for
Disease Control and Prevention, they would have learned that dog bite victims aged 0 - 14 constitute
less than 2% -- that is, less than one in fifty -- of the children aged 0 – 14 who go to an emergency room
as a result of an injury. And this does not include those who go as a result of illness
. 7

Last edited:
There is no legitimate reason for having a dog for which another breed is not a better choice than a pitbull.

It is tragic how many pitbulls are put down every year (to say nothing of other pets and children killed by them) because some asshole just had to have a pitbull.
yeah KG. Why did you choose that bred? Baby's daddy suggestion or because they're trendy?
I don't believe that. Everything I've read has them close to the top.

The point is...dogs are dangerous. When you have a bunch of douches breeding and abusing a particular breed like crazy, that breed is going to be the *most likely* to attack. Millions of idiots are treating them like shit, and people who have no business having dogs at all, let alone POWERFUL dogs, are getting them and letting them run willy nilly and not supervising them properly, and being stupid about how they treat them, and putting people at risk.

Pits are potentially really dangerous. If you aren't up for it, you shouldn't have one. BUT the breed itself is not the problem...it's the people who are fixated on it.

Dobermans were the evil breed a few decades ago. And at some point rotties were. it's a fad. it will pass.
I seriously doubt you could restrain that 110 lb pit that you pictured KG. What makes you "up for it"?

Last edited:
why do you say that......i can restrain a 100 lb doberman......i cant do it physically but he is well trained and listens to me.....when he is on leash he stays right by me...when he is off leash he is about 3 ft from me...unless he has gone out to terrorize kids getting on the damned bus....i still cant believe he did that....

why do you say that......i can restrain a 100 lb doberman......i cant do it physically but he is well trained and listens to me.....when he is on leash he stays right by me...when he is off leash he is about 3 ft from me...unless he has gone out to terrorize kids getting on the damned bus....i still cant believe he did that....

a lot of the weight of your dog accounts for the height & length. Did you see the pic that KG posted? The pitbull looks like a wound-up, spring of muscle. Incidentally, how was the name "pit bull" derived? Think about it.

I just hope KG knows what she's doing and didn't get that breed for the reasons I stated in my last post.

You shouldn't have powerful dogs if you don't respect them, and if you aren't ready to deal with their little foibles.

I knew a girl who had a fondness for big dogs; and she was an idiot. She loved on them like they were chihuahuas and couldn't control them. One was a rottie that she would let out in the mornings to let run..the other was one of those big curly black dogs, I can't remember, but another tough, dominant, kind of aggressive dog..oh yeah, a bouvier.

The rott got a bullet during one of his early morning forays. The bouvier bit a jogger, then someone else, and had to be put down.

She ended up with a yorkie...which is what she should have restricted herself to from the beginning.

I'm actually going to agree with you.

I've known several pit bull owners, and many of them treat those dogs like babies instead of powerful dogs that need a firm hand and strong guidance.

Forum List

Back