Pit bulls are safe around children!

I agree. It's like saying you can keep a bomb in your house and as long as you treat it properly, there is no problem, but if something goes wrong k-boom and someone is dead or seriously injured. The love of pitbulls is completely irrational. The breed needs to be made extinct.

I don't agree. You cannot get rid of an entire breed simply because the dog MIGHT attack. You are tarring the entire breed with the same brush. You cannot do that people, so why is it okay to do it to animals?

Because they are not people. You can't 'reason' with them. They are a very dangerous breed. The numbers don't lie.

What numbers? The ones that rely on the news media to report only the facts? The ones that rely on untrained witnesses who claim it was a pitbull when it was, in fact, one of the dozen or so breeds that may happen to look sorta like a pit?

Someone posted a link to a story about a pitbull that killed a child. The headlines screamed out that it was a pit. Then halfway through the article they mention that a registered American Staffordshire lived there. Funny that the reporter had the info, but still they insisted that it was a vicious pitbull.

Pit bulls, like any dog, will release with a hard punch to the throat.

Crush their ears, pinch their neck or ass hard - that tells them you're the alpha dog.

Uh huh.....we're all in a CONSPIRACY to deprive you of your killer on a leash, right? :cuckoo: The figures are in. Responsible communities are saying enough is enough and demanding the breed be banned. I'm not for banning anything because I disagree with it. That's why I'm no "progressive". And I know banning something always results in a black market for it. And not all Pits are vicious, but each one can be and that's the issue. They're a breed you simply can't trust. There are other breeds like that....most of the German breeds in particular. I wouldn't trust a Rotty around a stranger...or a Dobie. Why do folks want these breeds around? Hell, buy a pistol and train with it. That way in the law's eyes you've taken responsibility for your safety instead of the coward's way out.

What figures?? The ones reported by the media? Even the CDC has said those are unreliable.

Pick the Pit - Can you find the Pitbull?

There is some actual information that stays away from the emotional frenzy.

And I have never expected a dog to provide for my household's safety. I do that. Having them as an alarm system works well, and even for keeping coyote away (when I lived in a very rural setting).

I got it on the first pick, mainly because I used to watch The Dog Whisper. Caesar has a pitt bull that he uses to help dogs socialize with other dogs.

But the overwhelming majority of people, if they saw an attck, would be quick to name the other dogs pictured as "pitbulls". And the media will report it as a pit, even when they have information saying otherwise.

Uh huh.....we're all in a CONSPIRACY to deprive you of your killer on a leash, right? :cuckoo: The figures are in. Responsible communities are saying enough is enough and demanding the breed be banned. I'm not for banning anything because I disagree with it. That's why I'm no "progressive". And I know banning something always results in a black market for it. And not all Pits are vicious, but each one can be and that's the issue. They're a breed you simply can't trust. There are other breeds like that....most of the German breeds in particular. I wouldn't trust a Rotty around a stranger...or a Dobie. Why do folks want these breeds around? Hell, buy a pistol and train with it. That way in the law's eyes you've taken responsibility for your safety instead of the coward's way out.

What figures?? The ones reported by the media? Even the CDC has said those are unreliable.

And I have never expected a dog to provide for my household's safety. I do that. Having them as an alarm system works well, and even for keeping coyote away (when I lived in a very rural setting).

I got it on the first pick, mainly because I used to watch The Dog Whisper. Caesar has a pitt bull that he uses to help dogs socialize with other dogs.

Those are just the ones that are purebreds. There are probably thousands of mix breed dogs that are called pit bulls all the time.

Crush their ears, pinch their neck or ass hard - that tells them you're the alpha dog.

According to the expert training I once received, grab and hurt a dog's feet. If you are not the one being attacked, grab the dogs back feet and pull it away, swinging it to keep its face away from you.

Those are just the ones that are purebreds. There are probably thousands of mix breed dogs that are called pit bulls all the time.

Exactly!

Bad idea. Some react by holding on tighter. If you have ever had a pit on your bare arm you would be in too much pain to do that.

Bad idea. Some react by holding on tighter. If you have ever had a pit on your bare arm you would be in too much pain to do that.

While it would be better to have the dog clamp down on your arm than on your throat, the arm will be useless. Watch a decent size dog crunch a bone, then consider the size of the bones in your forearm.

Exactly!

Here is another breed that was not in the photos. American Bully.

stock-photo-purebred-canine-blue-nose-american-bully-dog-standing-on-lawn-posing-looking-watching-76886266.jpg

As long as they let me know, I will handle the rest.

If you could "handle the rest" you'd have a beagle...they eat less, are rarely a threat to injure an innocent, and alert as well as a Pit. Nah, you got a nasty dog because you got doubts about what you can handle. Not intended as an insult but that's how you'll take it.

As long as they let me know, I will handle the rest.

If you could "handle the rest" you'd have a beagle...they eat less, are rarely a threat to injure an innocent, and alert as well as a Pit. Nah, you got a nasty dog because you got doubts about what you can handle. Not intended as an insult but that's how you'll take it.

LOL! No insult at all. But before you make such accusations, you should find out if I actually own a pitbull. Wouldn't that make sense?

I had a beagle when I was a kid. Loud as hell and very head-strong. Good if you want a rabbit hunting dog, but I don't care for them.

And yes, I can handle the rest. When I was on the road, my wife (now ex) was capable of handling things. But having warning is always a good thing.

I don't agree. You cannot get rid of an entire breed simply because the dog MIGHT attack. You are tarring the entire breed with the same brush. You cannot do that people, so why is it okay to do it to animals?

Because they are not people. You can't 'reason' with them. They are a very dangerous breed. The numbers don't lie.

What numbers? The ones that rely on the news media to report only the facts? The ones that rely on untrained witnesses who claim it was a pitbull when it was, in fact, one of the dozen or so breeds that may happen to look sorta like a pit?

Someone posted a link to a story about a pitbull that killed a child. The headlines screamed out that it was a pit. Then halfway through the article they mention that a registered American Staffordshire lived there. Funny that the reporter had the info, but still they insisted that it was a vicious pitbull.

Hey man, Darla Napor would probably argue right with you and be advocating for this extremely dangerous breed, using Pit advocate websites as 'sources'. Herein lies the problem. She is DEAD.

Darla Napora: Pregnant woman dies after being mauled by pet dog in living room | Mail Online

article-0-0D78D8B500000578-230_468x286.jpg

• Victim was member of 'Dog Lovers Responsible About Pit Bulls'

• Two-year-old pitbull terrier shot after charging at police

• Husband finds Darla Napora's body drenched in blood

• Victim suffered dozens of bites to her body and face

A pregnant woman who was mauled to death by one of her pet pit bull terriers belonged to group campaigning to convince people that the animals aren't dangerous, it has emerged.

Darla Napora, 32, was bitten dozens of times and found by her husband Greg covered in blood outstretched on their living room floor in Pacifica, California.

Police say the two-year-old unneutered pit bull believed to be responsible was hovering around the woman, who had major injuries to her upper body and face.

Read this, it is written by doctors who treat these horrible attacks.

Mortality, Mauling, and Maiming by Vicious Dogs

If you are going to love the Pitbull, you need to respect its Nature.

It's as simple as that.

Respecting its Nature means understanding what it's capable of and taking precautions when necessary. The same goes for many dangerous/ potentially dangerous animals.

Hey man, Darla Napor would probably argue right with you and be advocating for this extremely dangerous breed, using Pit advocate websites as 'sources'. Herein lies the problem. She is DEAD.

Darla Napora: Pregnant woman dies after being mauled by pet dog in living room | Mail Online

A pregnant woman who was mauled to death by one of her pet pit bull terriers belonged to group campaigning to convince people that the animals aren't dangerous, it has emerged.

Darla Napora, 32, was bitten dozens of times and found by her husband Greg covered in blood outstretched on their living room floor in Pacifica, California.

Police say the two-year-old unneutered pit bull believed to be responsible was hovering around the woman, who had major injuries to her upper body and face.

I have not said that pits never attack. I have simply argued that many pitbull attacks are other breeds that have been identified in error.

And that same contention works against the paper written by the doctors. I do not doubt their sincerity and respect what they have done. But they rely on untrained eyewitnesses and media reports for the number of pitbull attacks, just as the CDC did for their reports.

The main victim of fatal dog attacks is children, especially infants and toddlers. Infants and toddlers should never be unsupervised with any dog.

Is it true that a non neutered pit bull will tend to be more dangerous than one that is neutered? And this is probably true for all breds of dogs?

Is it true that a non neutered pit bull will tend to be more dangerous than one that is neutered? And this is probably true for all breds of dogs?

I missed the detail that they were not neutered. That does effect aggression.

It's as simple as that.

Respecting its Nature means understanding what it's capable of and taking precautions when necessary. The same goes for many dangerous/ potentially dangerous animals.

Why is your avatar pic croped? I have a good guess. I liked it the way it was!

It's as simple as that.

I just need to discuss with someone that there was no actual nudity and it should be up again.

It's as simple as that.

I just need to discuss with someone that there was no actual nudity and it should be up again.

I guess changing my avatar to the statue of David is not a good idea unless the pic doesn't show his junk.

I missed the detail that they were not neutered. That does effect aggression.

My pit that tried to kill me was neutered. And this woman leg is how my leg looked. My femur was exposed.

When any other dog has a bad day, somebody can get hurt; when a pit bull has a bad day, somebody can get killed. They do NOT stop once they start attacking.

Joggerattackedbypitbulls_zps97b8d844.jpg

2013 statistics

• 32 U.S. dog bite-related fatalities occurred in 2013. Despite being regulated in Military Housing areas and over 700 U.S. cities, pit bulls contributed to 78% (25) of these deaths. Pit bulls make up about 6% of the total U.S. dog population.2

• Together, pit bulls (25) and rottweilers (1), the second most lethal dog breed, accounted for 81% of the total recorded deaths in 2013. This same combination accounted for 74% of all fatal attacks during the 9-year period of 2005 to 2013.

• The breakdown between these two breeds is substantial over this 9-year period. From 2005 to 2013, pit bulls killed 176 Americans, about one citizen every 18.6 days, versus rottweilers, which killed 33, about one citizen every 99.5 days.

• In the year of 2013, the combination of pit bulls (25), rottweilers (1) and bullmastiffs (2) accounted for 88% of all dog bite-related fatalities. Notably, the two bullmastiff-mixes3 were littermates that inflicted death within a 6-month period.

• Annual data from 2013 shows that 56% (18) of the fatality victims were children 7-years and younger, and 44% (14) were adults, 25-years and older. Of the total children killed by dogs in 2013, 61% (11) were ages 4-years and younger.

Forum List

Back