Pit bulls are safe around children!

So says the person who wants invented statistics to count.

Uh huh.....we're all in a CONSPIRACY to deprive you of your killer on a leash, right? :cuckoo: The figures are in. Responsible communities are saying enough is enough and demanding the breed be banned. I'm not for banning anything because I disagree with it. That's why I'm no "progressive". And I know banning something always results in a black market for it. And not all Pits are vicious, but each one can be and that's the issue. They're a breed you simply can't trust. There are other breeds like that....most of the German breeds in particular. I wouldn't trust a Rotty around a stranger...or a Dobie. Why do folks want these breeds around? Hell, buy a pistol and train with it. That way in the law's eyes you've taken responsibility for your safety instead of the coward's way out.

What figures?? The ones reported by the media? Even the CDC has said those are unreliable.

Pick the Pit - Can you find the Pitbull?

There is some actual information that stays away from the emotional frenzy.

And I have never expected a dog to provide for my household's safety. I do that. Having them as an alarm system works well, and even for keeping coyote away (when I lived in a very rural setting).

I've seen this pick the pit bull thing before. Most of those dogs, almost all of them, are obviously not pit bulls. The one that is a pit bull is a not fully mature animal, a puppy, shown from a side view. How funny. It's purposefully misleading. Truly dishonest.

If there are any dogs that are mix breeds and part pit bull, they should also be sterilized. The pit bull gene needs to be eliminated from the planet. Already, there are countries that ban these dogs. There will come a time when all countries ban them, except maybe not the US because there are so many people who are irrational about this horrible dog. Just like they are irrational about guns. It's the same thing. They don't care about the damage and death these dogs cause. Even if one person dies because of a pit bull, that is too many. There are over 300 breeds of dogs. We do not need pit bulls.

Last edited:
Uh huh.....we're all in a CONSPIRACY to deprive you of your killer on a leash, right? :cuckoo: The figures are in. Responsible communities are saying enough is enough and demanding the breed be banned. I'm not for banning anything because I disagree with it. That's why I'm no "progressive". And I know banning something always results in a black market for it. And not all Pits are vicious, but each one can be and that's the issue. They're a breed you simply can't trust. There are other breeds like that....most of the German breeds in particular. I wouldn't trust a Rotty around a stranger...or a Dobie. Why do folks want these breeds around? Hell, buy a pistol and train with it. That way in the law's eyes you've taken responsibility for your safety instead of the coward's way out.

What figures?? The ones reported by the media? Even the CDC has said those are unreliable.

Pick the Pit - Can you find the Pitbull?

There is some actual information that stays away from the emotional frenzy.

And I have never expected a dog to provide for my household's safety. I do that. Having them as an alarm system works well, and even for keeping coyote away (when I lived in a very rural setting).

I've seen this pick the pit bull thing before. Most of those dogs, almost all of them, are obviously not pit bulls. The one that is a pit bull is a not fully mature animal, a puppy, shown from a side view. How funny. It's purposefully misleading. Truly dishonest.

If there are any dogs that are mix breeds and part pit bull, they should also be sterilized. The pit bull gene needs to be eliminated from the planet. Already, there are countries that ban these dogs. There will come a time when all countries ban them, except maybe not the US because there are so many people who are irrational about this horrible dog. Just like they are irrational about guns. It's the same thing. They don't care about the damage and death these dogs cause. Even if one person dies because of a pit bull, that is too many. There are over 300 breeds of dogs. We do not need pit bulls.

Of course the witnesses always see the attacking dog posed in the proper position, right? And only mature dogs attack, right? lol

I picked the right dog, as did BobPlumb. Perhaps knowledge of the breed helps?

As for "Most of those dogs, almost all of them, are obviously not pit bulls", you are wrong. Dogo Argentinos, Cane Corsos, American Bulldogs, Alapaha Blue Bloods (somewhat rare), and Presa Canarios have all been mistakenly called pitbulls.

What we don't need is someone who will state "You will be singing another turn when it, for no reason, goes berserk one day and tears off the face of one of your grandchildren", as if it is a fact that the dog will go berserk one day.

Last edited:
Is it true that a non neutered pit bull will tend to be more dangerous than one that is neutered? And this is probably true for all breds of dogs?

I missed the detail that they were not neutered. That does effect aggression.

My pit that tried to kill me was neutered. And this woman leg is how my leg looked. My femur was exposed.

When any other dog has a bad day, somebody can get hurt; when a pit bull has a bad day, somebody can get killed. They do NOT stop once they start attacking.

Joggerattackedbypitbulls_zps97b8d844.jpg

2013 statistics

• 32 U.S. dog bite-related fatalities occurred in 2013. Despite being regulated in Military Housing areas and over 700 U.S. cities, pit bulls contributed to 78% (25) of these deaths. Pit bulls make up about 6% of the total U.S. dog population.2

• Together, pit bulls (25) and rottweilers (1), the second most lethal dog breed, accounted for 81% of the total recorded deaths in 2013. This same combination accounted for 74% of all fatal attacks during the 9-year period of 2005 to 2013.

• The breakdown between these two breeds is substantial over this 9-year period. From 2005 to 2013, pit bulls killed 176 Americans, about one citizen every 18.6 days, versus rottweilers, which killed 33, about one citizen every 99.5 days.

• In the year of 2013, the combination of pit bulls (25), rottweilers (1) and bullmastiffs (2) accounted for 88% of all dog bite-related fatalities. Notably, the two bullmastiff-mixes3 were littermates that inflicted death within a 6-month period.

• Annual data from 2013 shows that 56% (18) of the fatality victims were children 7-years and younger, and 44% (14) were adults, 25-years and older. Of the total children killed by dogs in 2013, 61% (11) were ages 4-years and younger.

I did not say that neutering removes all aggression. I simply stated that not being neutered does effect aggression.

Once again, I question the way in which they get the percentage of dogs being pitbulls. The link you gave refers back to another paper. Which obtained it's "guess" as to the percentages through a unique method.

"The ‘%/dogs” column states the percentage of each breed of dog among 168,534 classified ads listing dogs for sale and adoption at web sites during June 2013, screened to eliminate duplicates. "

Classified ads used to determine how what percentage of dogs in the US are pitbulls?

And yes, a greater majority of the victims are children. The parents should not have left the small children unsupervised with any dog.

Last edited:
If they are so safe, why is it that every time we hear about a toddler being mauled to death, a pit bull is always involved?

I feel that's not accurate, for different reasons. The first reason is when you mention "every time we hear about a toddler being mauled...," and I'd like to take some time explaining it with you. The media and people in general are under the false impression that it is usually pit bulls that do the mauling. Rarely do they mention when Labradors maul or kill toddlers. In this story a Labrador mauled a toddler, and bit another child the previous week. Another story entails a Labrador that killed a 2-month-old child, and ripped its legs off, killing it. Also, if you check this link, you'll find that it's not just pitbulls who attack and kill, but many kinds. Even the little Daschund has killed. A 6-year-old daschund chewed off the legs of a 2-week-old infant; it was described in the Wiki page and cited here that it was well-behaved by neighbors and friends. Pit bulls have been maligned by vicious rumors and lies, including the falsehood that their jaws lock.

You cannot castigate a whole breed for the actions of some. If you can, then let's kill all breeds that have taken lives.

In summary, a pit bull is not always involved when a toddler is mauled to death. If you say that is not true, then you are calling Wikipedia, and the family members of the deceased... all liars.

Last edited:
When any other dog has a bad day, somebody can get hurt; when a pit bull has a bad day, somebody can get killed or maimed. Pit bulls don't 'bite', they attack.

By 1993 pit bulls kept as pets, exclusive of dogs trained to fight, already accounted for more than half of all life-threatening dog attacks. Rottweilers accounted for 20%. Over the past decade the number of life-threatening pit bull attacks was up 789%; attacks on children were up 876%; attacks on adults were up 490%; fatalities were up 388%; and maimings were up 1269%. The percentage of total life-threatening dog attacks committed by pit bulls did not go up only because the number of life-threatening Rottweiler attacks leaped 2000%; attacks on children were up 1000%; attacks on adults were up 1700%; fatalies were up 2500%; and maimings were up 2500%. Rottweilers now account for 25% of all life-threateningdog attacks.

No other common breeds present an even remotely comparable actuarial risk factor. Yet among all the major U.S. animal advocacy groups, only PETA has favored a breed-specific approach to dog regulation.

The list for why pitbulls are dangerous, in numbers:

$92.7 million – Dog bite claims totaled $92.7 million for 2,400 claims in California (Insurance Information Institute, 2011). Source.
$500,000 – The typical cost of settlements in attacks by pit bulls and Rottweilers causing death or serious injury is an average of a half million dollars. The amount of $29,396 was the average cost of a dog bite case in 2011. Source.

3000 % - Pit bulls and Rottweilers do three times more killing and maiming than all other dogs combined, meaning that their actuarial risk is approximately 3000% higher than that of the average dog. Source.

2,500 – More than 2,500 times higher risk of killing than Labradors. Source.

789% – Over the past decade, there was an increase of 789% in the number of life-threatening pit bull attacks (attacks on children were up 876%; attacks on adults were up 490%; fatalities were up 388%; and maimings were up 1269%.). Source.

66% – 80% – Over 2/3 (66% – 80%) of the pit bulls who end up at the shelter are surrendered by their owners. Source.

65% – Pit bulls are responsible for 65 percent of all fatal dog attacks nationally. Source.

58% – Fifty eight percent of dogs euthanized at shelters are pit bull types.

44% – Forty four percent of Seeing Eye teams have reported being attacked by other dogs. Source.

25% – A fourth of all dog bite claims were by due to pit bull bites. Source.

14 – Every fourteen days, someone in the U.S. is killed by a pit bull.

14 – Pitbuls are fourteen times more likely to escape their confines. Source.

11th – Eleventh in popularity – *American Pit Bull Terriers, American Staffordshire Terriers and Staffordshire Bull Terriers, ranked 11th in popularity among 16 AKC-registered breeds and had by far the highest risk of killing — more than 2,500 times higher than Labs. Source.

9 – Owners of dangerous breeds are more than 9 times more likely to have been convicted for a crime involving children and more than Source.

8 – Eight times more likely to have been charged with drug crimes than owners of low-risked licensed dogs. Source.

6 – Six times more likely to kill their owners. Source.

5.4 – Every 5.4. days, a body part is severed and lost in a pit bull attack . Source.

3 – Owners of dangerous dogs are more than three times more likely to have been convicted of domestic abuse. Source.

1/3 of all home insurance claims are dog bites (25% of them, pit bull bites). Source.

3 – It is estimated that pit bull type dogs represent 3% of the total population of dogs in the U.S.A.. Source.

1 - The Leading biters in 25 states. Source.

1 – The Leading biters, nationally. Source.

1 - Leading in deaths and serious disfigurements and maimings. Source.

(U.S. statistics only)

So, is there any way a decent person would deny that Pitbulls ARE dangerous dogs? No, there isn’t.

Quick statistics :

• In the 8-year period from 2005 to 2012, two dog breeds accounted for 73% of the attacks that resulted in death: pit bulls and rottweilers.

• 71% of the pit bull fatalities have occurred in the past 10 years; 42% in the past four years; 24% in the past two years.

• Over 600 U.S. cities have adopted breed-specific laws since the mid 1980s, just after pit bulls (fighting dogs) began leaking into the general population.

• By 2016, pit bulls are projected to maul 275 Americans to death since 1998, the year the CDC stopped tracking fatal dog attacks by breed.

• In the 8-year period from 2005 to 2012, pit bulls killed 151 Americans, about one citizen every 19 days.

• In 2012, roughly one-third, 32%, of all dog bite fatality victims were either visiting or living temporarily with the dog's owner when the fatal attack occurred.

• In the 3-year period of 2006 to 2008, 18% of all fatal dog attacks occurred off owner property. Pit bulls were responsible for 81% of these attacks.

• In the first eight months of 2011, nearly half of the persons killed by a pit bull was the dog's owner and primary caretaker.

• Over 30 countries across the world regulate dangerous dog breeds with breed-specific laws including: France, Norway, Spain, Portugal and Great Britain.

• In 2011, adult victims of fatal pit bull attacks more than doubled the number of child victims.

• A study published in 2010 showed there were 4 times as many dog bite-related ED visits and 3 times as many hospital stays in rural areas than in urban areas.

• Pit bull terriers were selectively bred for a violent activity that is now a felony in all 50 U.S. states: dogfighting.

• Over 260 U.S. military bases governed by the U.S. Air Force, Air Force Space Command, U.S. Army, U.S. Marine Corps and Navy regulate dangerous dog breeds.

• Dog attack victims suffer over $1 billion in monetary losses annually. JAMA reports this estimate to be as high as $2 billion.

• A 2010 study showed that the average cost of a dog bite-related hospital stay was $18,200, about 50% higher than the average injury-related hospital stay.

• Dog bites occur every 75 seconds in the United States. Each day, over 1,000 citizens need emergency medical care to treat these injuries.

• Dog bites are the fifth highest reason why children seek emergency room treatment due to activities they voluntarily engage in, such as playing sports.

Are Pit Bulls Really Dangerous?

pit-bulls.jpg

Police in Nassau County, N.Y., are searching door-to-door for two pit bulls that went on a bloody rampage, attacking a teenage boy and three women during a 30-minute period Wednesday (Feb. 13).

"One literally went for my leg and [the] other was trying to jump on top of me, but I was hitting them, and I was punching them," Janelle Manning, 24, told CBS New York. "They both weren't letting go, once they got a hold of my leg."

Because of her leg injuries, Manning now struggles to walk up and down stairs, CBS reports. "These dogs were, like, trained to kill; trained to hurt and viciously attack people," she said.

But do pit bulls deserve their reputation as vicious "attack" dogs? An overwhelming amount of evidence suggests they do.

A five-year review of dog-bite injuries from the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, published in 2009 in the journal Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, found that almost 51 percent of the attacks were from pit bulls, almost 9 percent were from Rottweilers and 6 percent were from mixes of those two breeds.

In other words, a whopping two-thirds of the hospital's dog-attack injuries involved just two breeds, pit bulls and Rottweilers.

Other studies confirm these statistics: A 15-year study published in 2009 in the American Journal of Forensic Medicine and Pathology revealed that pit bulls, Rottweilers and German shepherds were responsible for the majority of fatal dog attacks in the state of Kentucky. [See What Your Dog's Breed Says About You]

And a 2011 study from the Annals of Surgery revealed that "attacks by pit bulls are associated with higher morbidity rates, higher hospital charges and a higher risk of death than are attacks by other breeds of dogs."

The authors of that 2011 study go on to say, "Strict regulation of pit bulls may substantially reduce the U.S. mortality rates related to dog bites."

Paying the price for pit bulls

As a result of the overwhelming evidence against pit bulls, home owners and landlords often must pay significantly higher insurance premiums if they have a pit bull or other recognized "bad dog" breed on their property. [Infographic: Dog Bite Incidents]

Fans of pit bulls are quick to assert that a dog's propensity for attack depends in large part on its owner and how it is raised, and there's considerable evidence that owners of pit bulls and other high-risk dogs are themselves high-risk people.

A 2006 study from the Journal of Interpersonal Violence revealed that owners of vicious dogs were significantly more likely to have criminal convictions for aggressive crimes, drugs, alcohol, domestic violence, crimes involving children and firearms.

These findings were confirmed in a 2009 report published in the Journal of Forensic Sciences. The authors of that report wrote, "Vicious dog owners reported significantly more criminal behaviors than other dog owners," and they were ranked "higher in sensation seeking and primary psychopathy."

And a 2011 study, also in the Journal of Forensic Sciences, found that "vicious dog owners reported significantly higher criminal thinking, entitlement, sentimentality and super-optimism tendencies. Vicious dog owners were arrested, engaged in physical fights, and used marijuana significantly more than other dog owners."

Are Pit Bulls Dangerous | Dog Bite Statistics | LiveScience

Youre and idiot as well as a liar. Pull you head out of your ass chump. The majority of Pits like fighting other dogs not killing humans. From what I've seen they only like to fight once they get into one. After that they will look to fight. German Shepherds, though originally bred for sheep herding, are guard dogs. They and certain other dogs are meant to attack humans. Your story would be more believable if the police used pits instead of other breeds of dogs.

Ah, the ugly white boy pops up again with his usual bullshit on every topic discussed in USMB....no time for you today, Snowflake. Go pretend you're a brotha someplace else....this thread is for real people.

Why don't the police and military use Pits if they are so ferocious? Cant answer that can you?
They dont use them because they are dangerous and unpredictable. You used the military as an example of a group that should know what theyre doing, so im assuming you now agree that putbulls are dangerous, right?

Ah, the ugly white boy pops up again with his usual bullshit on every topic discussed in USMB....no time for you today, Snowflake. Go pretend you're a brotha someplace else....this thread is for real people.

Why don't the police and military use Pits if they are so ferocious? Cant answer that can you?
They dont use them because they are dangerous and unpredictable. You used the military as an example of a group that should know what theyre doing, so im assuming you now agree that putbulls are dangerous, right?

The reason they don't use them is because its harder to train them to attack humans and public perception. Ask a K-9 cop. No where does it say in the description of the breed that they are dangerous and unpredictable. I think I will trust my experience and experts over yours.

United Kennel Club: American Pit Bull Terrier

The essential characteristics of the American Pit Bull Terrier are strength, confidence, and zest for life. This breed is eager to please and brimming over with enthusiasm. APBTs make excellent family companions and have always been noted for their love of children. Because most APBTs exhibit some level of dog aggression and because of its powerful physique, the APBT requires an owner who will carefully socialize and obedience train the dog. The breed’s natural agility makes it one of the most capable canine climbers so good fencing is a must for this breed. The APBT is not the best choice for a guard dog since they are extremely friendly, even with strangers. Aggressive behavior toward humans is uncharacteristic of the breed and highly undesirable. This breed does very well in performance events because of its high level of intelligence and its willingness to work.

Last edited:
They use those K9 units primarilly for bomb sniffing. They arent sicking dogs on people on battlefields.:lol:

Last edited:
They use those K9 units primarilly for bomb sniffing. They arent sicking dogs on people on battlefields.:lol:

Yes they do that too if that's what their primary job is dummy. I didnt know tracking and apprehending criminals was bomb sniffing. You cant be that stupid and still breath correctly.

Police K-9 found dead after shootout in SW Portland - KPTV - FOX 12

That isnt their primary job you dolt. Furthermore, why are you posting a story about a civilian K9 unit? How fucking dumb are you?

The military isnt buying attack dogs, and even if they were, they wouldnt buy unpredicable pitbulls. Get a clue. :lol:

Yes they do that too if that's what their primary job is dummy. I didnt know tracking and apprehending criminals was bomb sniffing. You cant be that stupid and still breath correctly.

Police K-9 found dead after shootout in SW Portland - KPTV - FOX 12

That isnt their primary job you dolt. Furthermore, why are you posting a story about a civilian K9 unit? How fucking dumb are you?

The military isnt buying attack dogs, and even if they were, they wouldnt buy unpredicable pitbulls. Get a clue. :lol:

You cant be this stupid can you? If they want bomb sniffing dogs that's what they train them for. If they want dogs that apprehend people (military or civilian) that's what they train them for. Stop embarrassing yourself dumb ass. :lol:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsAdb-7v8nI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsAdb-7v8nI[/ame]

Last edited:
U.S. Marine Corps Bans Pit Bulls and Other Breeds; Policy Affects All Privatized Housing
Marine Corps Pet Policy

Virginia - Following the April action of Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, which banned pit bulls, rottweilers, wolf hybrids and their mixes from base housing and prohibited visitors from bringing them onto base, the U.S. Marine Corps recently adopted the same policy for all U.S. and overseas Marine Corps installations.

U.S. Marine Corps Bans Pit Bulls and Other Breeds; Policy Affects All Privatized Housing

U.S. Army Adopts Breed Restriction Policy for RCI Privatized Housing

Pet Policy Adopted for RCI Privatized Housing
In January, the U.S. Army standardized its pet policy, banning breeds deemed "aggressive or potentially aggressive." The breeds (and their mixes) include: pit bulls, American staffordshire terriers, bull terriers, rottweilers, doberman pinschers, chows, wolf hybrids and any others that display a dominant or aggressive behavior. The U.S. Army enacted the new policy to prevent pet owners from encountering uneven policies when moving between installations.

Marine Corps Pet Policy

Virginia - Following the April action of Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, which banned pit bulls, rottweilers, wolf hybrids and their mixes from base housing and prohibited visitors from bringing them onto base, the U.S. Marine Corps recently adopted the same policy for all U.S. and overseas Marine Corps installations.

In January, the U.S. Army standardized its pet policy, banning breeds deemed "aggressive or potentially aggressive." The breeds (and their mixes) include: pit bulls, American staffordshire terriers, bull terriers, rottweilers, doberman pinschers, chows, wolf hybrids and any others that display a dominant or aggressive behavior. The U.S. Army enacted the new policy to prevent pet owners from encountering uneven policies when moving between installations.

Hahahahahaha!!!!!!! Asslips, you put your foot in your mouth more than anyone ive ever met. I cant wait to see how you try to worm out of this one. This article is saying literally the exact opposite of what you claimed. :lol:

Marine Corps Pet Policy

Hahahahahaha!!!!!!! Asslips, you put your foot in your mouth more than anyone ive ever met. I cant wait to see how you try to worm out of this one. This article is saying literally the exact opposite of what you claimed. :lol:

You are getting desperate. :lol:

What was it I claimed?

This is from a politician. Politicians make a lot of decisions based on career objectives not common sense. When I was in the military things would come down from politicians all the time that had us shaking our heads in amazement. Basically they are saying "Look we hate pit bulls too" Look for the guy in the memo to be in the political arena in a few years if he is not already.

Last edited:
Marine Corps Pet Policy

You are getting desperate. :lol:

What was it I claimed?

This is from a politician. Politicians make a lot of decisions based on career objectives not common sense. When I was in the military things would come down from politicians all the time that had us shaking our heads in amazement. Basically they are saying "Look we hate pit bulls too" Look for the guy in the memo to be in the political arena in a few years if he is not already.

You claimed... "The reason they don't use them is because its harder to train them to attack humans"

The real answer is the exact opposite. They attack humans FAR TOO OFTEN, that's why they don't use them.

As for the rest of the nonsense in your post, you've been wrong about EVERYTHING so far, so why would you expect us to assume you have any fucking insight into why the military doesn't use pit bulls? You think a politician is responsible for this military regulation? Based on what? Where did you come up with this idea? Did you think you could get away with making up a bunch of bullshit and not be called out on it? Think again loser. :lol:

If you don't like Pitbulls... don't own one. I can't blame you. But when others choose to keep one, don't hate on them, because I can't blame these people either. Pitbulls are awesome dogs and can make great pets. But they can be potentially dangerous animals, especially to the irresponsible.

If you don't like Pitbulls... don't own one. I can't blame you. But when others choose to keep one, don't hate on them, because I can't blame these people either. Pitbulls are awesome dogs and can make great pets. But they can be potentially dangerous animals, especially to the irresponsible.

Why would I like someone and not blame them for owning a vicious "potentially dangerous animal"? The animal isn't just potentially dangerous to the owner, it is dangerous to anyone who is anywhere near it -- to family, to neighbors, to people it encounters in parks or on walks. It is dangerous to other animals, primarily in urban areas, to dogs and cats. Why should my pet be put at risk because some numbskull wants to own a vicious, potentially dangerous animal that cannot be controlled? Why should I rely on the responsibility of the owner to train and control the dog in the necessary way so it isn't "potentially dangerous"? For the very most part, pit bull owners do not have the ability, knowledge, understanding or motivation to keep these dogs in check and eliminate the danger to themselves or the community.
:cuckoo:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back