Pissed off in America

bock2911 said:
First off, I am not sure if I believe that the Democrats are the only ones responsible for the horribly complex tax code we have right now. I have to say Republicans probably have some responsibility, since about half the time Republicans were the majority in the senate and house. Blaming one instead of both is like blaming everything in WWII to Hitler but ignoring what Japan also did.
Half the time? Not quite. Since we have had a tax code, the dems have controlled both houses the majority of the time.

However, I will grant you the GOP has had a hand in the tax code... primarily because if they didn't fight for some of the exemptions, etc. that make the tax code so complex, many of us would be paying a lot more in taxes and therefore, the economy would be hurting. The GOP was forced to introduce complex tax bills to try and offset the dem's penchant for trying to tax anything and everything.

xandy123 said:
It's the c ivil courts that have to change not the insurance companies

My point, which maybe was convoluted, was that b/c the payouts on civil cases was so high, malpractice insurance rates where ridiculously high, which drove my family doctor out of business.

freeandfun1 said:
Half the time? Not quite. Since we have had a tax code, the dems have controlled both houses the majority of the time.

However, I will grant you the GOP has had a hand in the tax code... primarily because if they didn't fight for some of the exemptions, etc. that make the tax code so complex, many of us would be paying a lot more in taxes and therefore, the economy would be hurting. The GOP was forced to introduce complex tax bills to try and offset the dem's penchant for trying to tax anything and everything.

I do admit, yes, generally the Democrats usually tax more than the Rep. But how is cutting taxes today when the deficit continues to grow a good idea?

In the end, I really believe that both sides want to simplify the tax code, but what will be fair to both individuals and coperations that will keep the gov't in the green? I really hope what ever the next incarnation of the tax code, and spending bills to come, will work on that little problem. As for the details of what to tax and what is exempt, I feel I don't know about the details of what works and what doesn't right now to chime in on specifics.

And btw, I did do a search on who controlled Congress since the last major attempted overhaul of the tax code, and it is really close to 50-50.

pegwinn said:
Hey Pale. You and I disagreed loudly on the drug war thing before. Oh well. IF friends cannot disagree from time to time.................... I find it hypocritical that Alcohol and Tobacco are dangerous and addictive (BTW I make my own beer, and still occasionally smoke) with long term health problems, yet are legal. Crack is dangerous and addictive but illegal. Alcohol can cause behavioral problems just as crack or heroin can. Innocents die due to the abuse of alcohol (drunkdrivers) right next to the victims of drivebys by the drug dealers turf wars.

Some links IRT deaths......
http://www.drugwatch.org/Alcohol & Tobacco_Gateway Drugs.htm
http://www.drugwarfacts.org/causes.htm

Those are only two. The search was Googled "alcohol and tobacco deaths". HTH

Yeah I know we've disagreed on this... politely, and we'll continue to disagree... politely.

I will give you that alcohol and tobacco can be, and are, dangerous when abused. They kill, and we all know it. But I think the thing is, many people are able to and do partake in alcohol and tobacco in small, non-addictive amounts simply for enjoyment. In contrast, the hard drugs are known to be NOT so controllable to those who use them. That's a major difference.

Pale Rider said:
Yeah I know we've disagreed on this... politely, and we'll continue to disagree... politely.

I will give you that alcohol and tobacco can be, and are, dangerous when abused. They kill, and we all know it. But I think the thing is, many people are able to and do partake in alcohol and tobacco in small, non-addictive amounts simply for enjoyment. In contrast, the hard drugs are known to be NOT so controllable to those who use them. That's a major difference.
I totally understand where you are coming from. I don't do hard drugs either. My point is, that you should be able to do as you please as long as you don't hurt anyone. I also think that random drug testing in the workplace has done more than the war on drugs has. I could be wrong on that, just my opinion.

Forum List

Back