Piss up a rope, question

miketx

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2015
Where or how did the phrase "piss up a rope" originate? And what is it supposed to mean? I know it means something like f--- off, but it just seems weird.

assell's Dictionary of Slang only mentions "originally US, 20th
century"; Chapman?s Dictionary of American Slang is a bit more
revealing:
"[...] by 1940s Go away and do something characteristically stupid;
=?get lost,? ?go fly a kite?: ?He asked for another contribution and I
told him to go piss up a rope.?"
(SOURCE: Answer by Ken Greenwald, "piss up a rope", Wordwizard,
December 21, 2002 <http://www.wordwizard.com/clubhouse/founddiscuss.asp?Num=3740>).

As for the usage in other English-speaking cultures (outside the US),
it should be noted, that all of the books listed in Amazon.com with
this term seem to be American or to quote Americans.

Where or how did the phrase "piss up a rope" originate? And what is it supposed to mean? I know it means something like f--- off, but it just seems weird.
Must be a regional colloquialism, an inbred region I've never been to..........

I've been using it for decades. I am not inbred and only moved to South Carolina six years ago (more than 34 years in SoCal, 3 n New Mexico).

I've been using it for decades. I am not inbred and only moved to South Carolina six years ago (more than 34 years in SoCal, 3 n New Mexico).
Well you're already strange so that doesn't count. :thup:

Well you're already strange so that doesn't count. :thup:

Honey? Is that you?

I always thought that by trying it, you'd be likely to piss into your own face.

To "piss up a rope" means to engage in an activity that is impossible/futile...but if you tell someone to Go piss up a rope, you're telling them the equivalent of get lost, go jump in a lake, take a long walk on a short pier ... go attempt this impossible task and don't come back until you succeed...since it can't be done, you'll never see them again.

Can't help with origin.

Forum List

Back