Physicists Examine The Structure Of Time: Reality Could

• Banned
Quote:

'A new paper titled Time crystals from minimum time uncertaintythat was recently revised and re-published in The European Physical Journal marks just one example of the astonishing research being conducted on this subject.In it, the researchers have proposed that the shortest physically meaningful length of time might really be multiple orders of magnitude longer than Planck time. Planck time refers to the time required for light to travel, in a vacuum, which would be a distance of 1 Planck length. The unit is named after Max Planck, who was the first to propose the theory.

Nur Faisal from the University of Waterloo, one of the researchers involved in the study, told phys.org that it might be possible for the minimum time scale in the universe to actually be much larger than Planck time. He also said that this can be “directly tested experimentally.”

No experiment has ever come close to examining Planck time directly because it is so short. Nevertheless, as phys.org points out, there is a good amount of theoretical support for the existence of Planck time. Faisal explains: “In our paper, we have proposed that time is discrete in nature, and we have also suggested ways to experimentally test this proposal.”

So, how do they figure that time might be much larger than Planck time? They measured the rate of spontaneous emission of a hydrogen atom:'

Granny wantin' to know...

... if time is an illusion...

... den how come yer butt-cheeks get saggier...

... when ya get oldier?

Quote:

'A new paper titled Time crystals from minimum time uncertaintythat was recently revised and re-published in The European Physical Journal marks just one example of the astonishing research being conducted on this subject.In it, the researchers have proposed that the shortest physically meaningful length of time might really be multiple orders of magnitude longer than Planck time. Planck time refers to the time required for light to travel, in a vacuum, which would be a distance of 1 Planck length. The unit is named after Max Planck, who was the first to propose the theory.

Nur Faisal from the University of Waterloo, one of the researchers involved in the study, told phys.org that it might be possible for the minimum time scale in the universe to actually be much larger than Planck time. He also said that this can be “directly tested experimentally.”

No experiment has ever come close to examining Planck time directly because it is so short. Nevertheless, as phys.org points out, there is a good amount of theoretical support for the existence of Planck time. Faisal explains: “In our paper, we have proposed that time is discrete in nature, and we have also suggested ways to experimentally test this proposal.”

So, how do they figure that time might be much larger than Planck time? They measured the rate of spontaneous emission of a hydrogen atom:'

Fascinating.

images

Greg

Of course it's an illusion!
Sincere question for you Mr. Frank. You often gaze in wonderment, as I do, about the deeper implications of the Universe - albeit, we often dont share the same conclusions but thinking on this macro level leaves life in front of you seeming so micro, often. Why, then, do you lower yourself to partisan hackery? It all doesnt fucking matter, and being so cynical about mostly good people, or who a hack calls 'the other side,' is not only being a dick.....but in the grand scheme of things - its being a dick to no avail and no relevant outcome.

Sincere question for you Mr. Frank. You often gaze in wonderment, as I do, about the deeper implications of the Universe - albeit, we often dont share the same conclusions but thinking on this macro level leaves life in front of you seeming so micro, often. Why, then, do you lower yourself to partisan hackery? It all doesnt fucking matter, and being so cynical about mostly good people, or who a hack calls 'the other side,' is not only being a dick.....but in the grand scheme of things - its being a dick to no avail and no relevant outcome.
I like your comment. The question remains: why are people nasty to each other? Being a dick or being a kunt goes both ways. The spirit is yearning for freedom, but is imprisoned into the physical body. It is worthwhile to consider that this yearning manifests itself in the nature of mankind for desiring to be free. When freedom is oppressed in any way man becomes miserable. So in conclusion, it does matter in a sense. Think about it.

I always thought time was "man made" :dunno:
The measurement and definition is "man made." But the existence of it is an actualky measured 'thing.'
Time isn't a constant in reality. I have read that time is only "quantifiable" due to the position of the observer.

One of my favourite hypothesis:

Is the moon there when you don't look at it?

I liked his quote on that one too... "If a person, such as a mouse, looks at the universe; does that change the state of the universe?"

What is interesting in his arguments with Bohr, he was actually wrong. Einstein could not believe that the moon is not there until we look at it, and Bohr had to establish his argument. It's hard to believe it's been over 90 years ago.

Forum List

Back