"Physicists and Lyricists"

Quentin111

VIP Member
Oct 26, 2014
In the USSR in the 60s there was a dispute among representatives of the intelligentsia: who is more important: "physicists" or "lyricists"? "Physicists" meant representatives of the natural and technical sciences (mathematics, physics, biology, cybernetics). By "lyricists" we meant humanists, artists (artists, poets, writers, directors) and representatives of social sciences. So who is more valuable for human progress: representatives of the natural and technical sciences or the humanities and social sciences?
Nobel laureate in physics Richard Feynman said that "the invention of electricity has given humanity more than the entire French Revolution."
On the other hand, when I was at school, my literature teacher said that if Einstein had not been born, another scientist would have discovered the theory of relativity. And if such a poet as Pushkin had not been born (this is a great Russian poet like Emily Dickinson in the USA), then there would have been no one to replace him.

In the USSR in the 60s there was a dispute among representatives of the intelligentsia: who is more important: "physicists" or "lyricists"? "Physicists" meant representatives of the natural and technical sciences (mathematics, physics, biology, cybernetics). By "lyricists" we meant humanists, artists (artists, poets, writers, directors) and representatives of social sciences. So who is more valuable for human progress: representatives of the natural and technical sciences or the humanities and social sciences?
Nobel laureate in physics Richard Feynman said that "the invention of electricity has given humanity more than the entire French Revolution."
On the other hand, when I was at school, my literature teacher said that if Einstein had not been born, another scientist would have discovered the theory of relativity. And if such a poet as Pushkin had not been born (this is a great Russian poet like Emily Dickinson in the USA), then there would have been no one to replace him.
So we won't have any more great poets? What a tragedy!

Forum List

Back