Photo Shows McConnell In Front of Confederate Flag. So ?

Accepting an award from the "Sons of Confederate Veterans" is in itself an abomination.

Along with that comes the association with an organization that still celebrates the mass-murderous war to keep and expand slavery.

Compared to that, the lesser of McConnell's transgressions was publicly to pose for a photo before that flag, which like nothing else stands for White supremacy, and the subjugation, dehumanization, and brutalization of Black people. That's what enslavement really is.

If Northam has to go - and he probably should - McConnell deserves to be defenestrated.
It does not stand for any of those things, and neither does the Sons of Confederate Veterans. Do you not know what the word "Veterans" means ?

Your ignorance and prejudice is exploding off the page.

The sons of the confederacy do little to protect their "heritage" from appropriation by white supremacists. The reason is simple, they are all part of the same lousy bunch of haters.
Accusations like that require evidence in the form of source-links, which you have failed to provide.

The Confederate Flag is the flag of an enemy nation to the United States. There is no point in the short history of the CSA they were not an enemy.

Flying their flag is no different than flying the Rising Sun flag or the Nazi Germany flag
False! The Confederate flag was/is part of the United States. Same as the state flags of Texas, Georgia, Florida, Virginia. To call it an enemy flag, is to call 11 states of the US, and 100 million Americans, enemies. This is bigotry against a large region of the US.

The CSA was an enemy of the USA, no different than Germany or Japan in WWII.

The only difference is that the CSA never quit being an enemy of the USA

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Perfect right wing logic. Stupid and wrong, but perfect right wing logic.
upload_2019-2-4_10-54-52.jpeg
Now go ahead and address his question. Are you arguing that slavery under the U.S. flag wasn't done on purpose?

A photograph of Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) posing in front of a Confederate flag is making the rounds on social media. Why ? What does it matter ? The flag represents a regional kinship that many southerners have. Sure, it also once represented the Confederacy, and a defense of slavery, 154 years ago, but that was then, not now, and it was generations ago.

Also, it might be noted that many (if not most) of the southerners who fought in the Civil War did so only in self-defense, against an army that traveled hundreds of miles to their home towns, and was shooting at them, blowing up their building, burning down their churches. When asked of southern fighters why they were fighting, the common answer was almost always "Because you're here".

Few southerners, engaged in battle with or without the Confederate flag flying, knew much of anything about slavery, about the Confederacy, and few probably ever even heard of Jefferson Davis. In those days, there was no TV, no radio, no computers, and if southerners had a local newspaper at all, they probably couldn't read it anyway.

So did the veterans who died fighting in defense of their home turfs deserve to be remembered and honored for their courage, as much as the Union troops who attacked them ? I would say so.
So, is the Sons of Confederate Veterans (the group at which McConnell is shown in the picture) a legitimate organization, with a reasonable (if not honorable) standing ? I would say so. Is the Confederate flag a reasonable symbol for the group ? I think it is, as long as one isn't looking for negatives, and prospecting for dispute.

And if one is looking for adversity, might not the burden be on THEM, to justify what could be seen as a bigoted perspective, toward a region of the country inhabited by over 100 million people ?

Dya03YXUUAAAbIa

Photo of Mitch McConnell in Front of a Confederate Flag Resurfaces Amid Northam Yearbook Controversy

Can you expand on this "regional kinship" that this flag represents that is so important to these definitely not racist southerners?

I live here, and the dumbshits who "fly" it do it because they're ignorant and want to ignore what it stood for. And that includes YOU

The difference is apparently that if you are a dem and did the stupid, you are called on to resign. But if you are republican, you are in good standing. See Cindy Hyde Smith.

jmo, but so long as a pol (Justice) owns up to his/her mistakes and not only apologizes to anyone hurt, but also can show a pattern of serving all people and trying to made this country a better place, we need to move on
Ignoring the bad aspects of the Confederate flag is not ignorance. It is simply choosing to not ignore the courage and sacrifice of lives, by hundreds of thousands of southern soldiers. The descendants of those soldiers is perhaps who you could/should be apologizing to.

Its just a flag, its the job McConnell's Not doing to protect our country & the working person.
Supporting those who wish to own our government to gather wealth for them self's. that's what makes him a poor leader

I live here, and the dumbshits who "fly" it do it because they're ignorant and want to ignore what it stood for. And that includes YOU

The difference is apparently that if you are a dem and did the stupid, you are called on to resign. But if you are republican, you are in good standing. See Cindy Hyde Smith.

jmo, but so long as a pol (Justice) owns up to his/her mistakes and not only apologizes to anyone hurt, but also can show a pattern of serving all people and trying to made this country a better place, we need to move on
Ignoring the bad aspects of the Confederate flag is not ignorance. It is simply choosing to not ignore the courage and sacrifice of lives, by hundreds of thousands of southern soldiers. The descendants of those soldiers is perhaps who you could/should be apologizing to.

I'll take "Things that Racists say to Justify Racism" for $100 Alex

Are you arguing that slavery under the U.S. flag wasn't done on purpose?

The U.S. chose to abolish slavery. The Confederacy chose to murder hundreds of thousands to keep and expand that crime against humanity.

Protectionist and his ilk cannot see the difference.

Boggles the mind.

It's history. It happened. It was one of our most shameful periods. We should be ashamed of it. Not celebrate it.
Part of what should be ashamed of, was the Union invading many areas of the South, that had no slavery, and never even heard of the Confederacy. It was similar to US troops invading backward areas of South Vietnam, whose people never heard of the USA, much less ever attacked or threatened us.

Exactly where would that be?

Are you arguing that slavery under the U.S. flag wasn't done on purpose?

The U.S. chose to abolish slavery. The Confederacy chose to murder hundreds of thousands to keep and expand that crime against humanity.

Protectionist and his ilk cannot see the difference.

Boggles the mind.

Slavery was not abolished until AFTER the Civil War.

As I said, to call it an enemy flag, is to call 11 states of the US, and 100 million Americans, enemies. This is bigotry against a large region of the US, and you are the bigot.

So Germans should display the Nazi flag because it's history? They should keep statues of Hitler in the town square?

Museums are the appropriate place.

No. But it can also be argued that the swastika should not be saddled as a Nazi symbol.
The Nazis appropriated the swastika for their symbol and now it means horror rather than good fortune. Who's to blame? Certainly not those who still see it as a symbol of hatred.

Actually, you are to blame for your own stubborn, tunnel visioned insistence on maintaining such a narrow view.
The nazis and white supremacists still use it therefore it still means the same thing.

This is typical white westerner thinking. Some white guys start using a symbol in a corrupted manner, it now only and evermore means exactly that. Everyone else must stop using it's true, original meaning because only the white man's corrupted version matters.
confederate-flag-jfk-e1436399376140.jpg

6rj593.jpg

Button-296x300.jpg

What seems weird to me is that I don't see how you call either the Turtle of the Va Gov a racist. but then I didn't see that Al Franken was guilty of more than bad taste and not funny, and his comedic career already showed that. LOL

As I said, to call it an enemy flag, is to call 11 states of the US, and 100 million Americans, enemies. This is bigotry against a large region of the US, and you are the bigot.

The fact some states added it to their flags does not remove the fact that the CSA was an enemy to the USA. This fact you can not deny.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Forum List

Back