Pharmacist Denies Anti-Bleeding Medication Because Woman Might Have Had an Abortion

Second, in regards to Arkangel's post, I agree, the woman should simply have gone to another pharmacist. My guess is that there was another pharmacist in the very store she was in. If not, there was most likely another pharmacy within five miles.
I wouldn't count on that out in Idaho.
If I read the story correctly, the NP who issued the script refused to tell the pharmacist the reason it was issued due to patient privacy but asked the pharmacist where the next closest pharmacy could be found. The pharmacist's response was to hang up on the NP.

QUOTE=Immanuel;3213458]
Hi. I'm new to posting here, though I've lurked a bit. I didn't start a thread to introduce myself, because I always feel like that's saying 'come say hi to me'. To me, and for myself, anyway.

As to this thread, there are reasons for uterine bleeding beyond abortion and beyond IUDs. Several years ago, my period didn't stop. Every evening it would seem like it was going to, and every morning it would start up again. When this was going on into the 3rd week, I went to the Dr. Their explanation was that my body just sort of 'forgot' to turn it off, and prescribed medication to stop it. I'm glad I didn't run into a pharmacist who would take it upon herself to decide the reason I needed to stop uterine bleeding and refuse to give me the medication.

First off in response to the above post, welcome to USMB, Demon.

Second, in regards to Arkangel's post, I agree, the woman should simply have gone to another pharmacist. My guess is that there was another pharmacist in the very store she was in. If not, there was most likely another pharmacy within five miles.

Third, the pharmacist was wrong in what she did! Even if the woman attempting to have the prescription filled had an abortion, the abortion had already been completed. Regardless of what had caused the bleeding the life of the woman (whether or not she had had an abortion) is important to protect. IMHO the pharmacist was wrong not to fill that prescription.

Immie[/QUOTE]

Thanks, 'Immie' :eusa_angel:

If there was another pharmacist in the store, great. Sometimes, though, transportation may be an issue for some people, and going to another store 5 miles away might be a problem.

Agreed, the pharmacist was wrong. Not only in that if the bleeding was caused by an abortion, it had already been completed. But also in that she really had no clue about the reason the medicine was prescribed!

If a health care professional invokes a conscience right in a life-threatening situation where no other health care professional capable of treating the emergency is available, such health care professional shall provide treatment and care until an alternate health care professional capable of treating the emergency is found.
Thoughts USMB?

One could make a strong argument that if the patient was standing in a pharmacy waiting for an oral medication, she likely was not having life-threatening bleeding.

I think that the above clause would be invoked in a small Idaho hospital with one emergency room doctor working overnight, when a woman passing through from Washington to Montana comes in hemorrhaging. In that case, he would be compelled to save her as he would not be able to refer her to anyone else.

Another case of these holier than thou religious nuts passing judgement .

yes in a free country we should be able to chose what we sell or dont according to our beliefs .

but that is not the question here DOCTORS who run there own business can and do choose who they will take as patients .
and what services they provide.
so the answer to the question asked in a earlier post can a doctor refuse to perform or assist in an act of abortion ?

answer YES

that choice does not apply here in this case

the pharmacist was asked to provide a legally prescribed drug NOT participate in a abortion * if that ever happened *

she took a oath with that profession to provide that service not to make judgements according to her beliefs
she worked for a company *not a private practice*
that company wallgreens choice to provide medical equipment, drugs and other sundries to the GENERAL PUBLIC
they make the rules as to whom they serve , if the pharmacist didnt like there rules he /she should go and work somewhere else .
should be fired and sued for damages

The Pharmacist was wrong. I am pro life and a Christian and in this case it would be the womens life I am all for. If she had an abortion it is over and done and is none of the pharmacists business since she wouldn't be able to stop it after the fact. The medication to stop the bleeding was for the woman so she would not bleed out and since I have almost bled out twice in my life after the live birth of two of my children one minute you can be standing in a store and if not taken care of you can be in an ambulance on the way to the hospital near death it has happened to me. The pharmacist was just plain wrong.

Pharmacist Denies Anti-Bleeding Medication Because Woman Might Have Had an Abortion | Women's Rights | Change.org

A pharmacist at a Nampa, Idaho, Walgreens refused to dispense medication that stops uterine bleeding because she suspected the woman may have had an abortion. The pharmacist invoked the state's new so-called conscience clause that allows pharmacists to refuse to fill prescriptions for emergency contraceptives and abortifacient drugs, among other things, if they have a personal problem with it.
Last November, a woman took her prescription for Methergine, a drug that stops uterine bleeding regardless of cause, to Walgreens. The pharmacist, suspicious that the woman's uncontrolled bleeding may have been the result of an abortion, called the nurse practitioner who wrote the prescription to inquire why the patient needed it. When the nurse refused to answer because to do so would violate the patient's confidentiality, the pharmacist hung up on her and refused to fill the prescription.

Essentially, the pharmacist was saying that, while her conscience was just dandy with letting a woman bleed out, it would have a problem saving her life if it was even a possibility that the blood loss was connected to an abortion. The pharmacist's conscience being so fickle, apparently also prevented her from even referring the woman to a pharmacy who would fill her prescription, leaving her alone, bleeding, and lost. Someone care to explain to me how this qualifies as pro-life?
Original article:

Complaint targets Nampa pharmacist - Idaho Press-Tribune: News

All I can say is bullshit. There is no way a pharmacist would say something like that is if they were both crazy and negligent, and that does not happen in the real world. The woman is making it all up in an attempt to extort money from Walgreen's.

Let's go over a couple things real quick.

1.) She already had the abortion if she wants this medication (if she did have the abortion).

Remember:

So this has nothing to do with saving a fetus or a couple cells. In this case, this is about punishing someone for what the pharmacist considered wrong.

2.) The same law that the Pharmacist used to not fill the prescription may be the same law that the pharmacist broke.

Let's recall, shall we? Original article:

The nurse alleged that the pharmacist hung up when asked for a referral to another pharmacy that would fill the prescription.
The law itself:

http://www.legislature.idaho.gov/legislation/2010/S1353.pdf

If a health care professional invokes a conscience right in a life-threatening situation where no other health care professional capable of treating the emergency is available, such health care professional shall provide treatment and care until an alternate health care professional capable of treating the emergency is found.
Thoughts USMB?

My thought is that some people will believe the dumbest bullshit simply because it fits into their worldview that Christians are ignorant bigots who hate everyone. Other than that, nothing else makes any sense in this whole story.

Pharmacist Denies Anti-Bleeding Medication Because Woman Might Have Had an Abortion | Women's Rights | Change.org

A pharmacist at a Nampa, Idaho, Walgreens refused to dispense medication that stops uterine bleeding because she suspected the woman may have had an abortion. The pharmacist invoked the state's new so-called conscience clause that allows pharmacists to refuse to fill prescriptions for emergency contraceptives and abortifacient drugs, among other things, if they have a personal problem with it.
Original article:

Complaint targets Nampa pharmacist - Idaho Press-Tribune: News

All I can say is bullshit. There is no way a pharmacist would say something like that is if they were both crazy and negligent, and that does not happen in the real world. The woman is making it all up in an attempt to extort money from Walgreen's.

1.) She already had the abortion if she wants this medication (if she did have the abortion).

Remember:

So this has nothing to do with saving a fetus or a couple cells. In this case, this is about punishing someone for what the pharmacist considered wrong.

2.) The same law that the Pharmacist used to not fill the prescription may be the same law that the pharmacist broke.

The law itself:

Thoughts USMB?

My thought is that some people will believe the dumbest bullshit simply because it fits into their worldview that Christians are ignorant bigots who hate everyone. Other than that, nothing else makes any sense in this whole story.
um, do you have any proof the woman is making it up?

Of course not.

Never mind the fact this was in the original article:

“Planned Parenthood of the Great Northwest public affairs staff has since contacted Walgreens’ corporate office, and corrective action was taken with the Nampa pharmacist,” Kristen Glundberg-Prossor, Planned Parenthood of the Great Northwest’s director of public affairs, said.

Also, there's the fact that this woman's religion never came into question in the original post if I remember reading correctly. All that was mentioned was she denied the woman her medication due to her beliefs.

In a free country, a person is free to sell or not sell something as they see fit.

Don't get the product you want? Too bad, go somewhere else.

Like a firearm, pinko's want to restrict the sale of those constantly. Ya know, baby haters really hate the concept of self defense, after all if the almighty government determines you should die then the parasite pinko will preach to marx almighty on how such and such self defense must be forbidden from sale.

But step in the way of baby butchering, then the pinko comes out in full force hypocrisy.

Granted the woman could on some slim chance have been duped by pinko propaganda into killing her own baby (at a nice tidy profit for the pinko)...

Thank you for deducting reputation from this loser.

Remember:

The law itself:

Thoughts USMB?

typical CHRISTIAN SPIN
they dont believe everything they read unless it suits there voodoo beliefs
*the bible *

yes the story *could *have been made up very possible

things have been made up before to suit a perticular mantra .
example the bible .

christians dont think like that thou ,funny how if it goes against thier religious dogma they want PROVE ITS FACT .
Dont want to give us proof about the man in the sky thou
we are just supposed to take their word for it .

Remember:

The law itself:

Thoughts USMB?

I AGREE some folks will believe the dumbest bullshit SIMPLY GUS IT FITS INTO THERE VIEW
look at what christians believe none of that makes sence in the whole story either .

I REST MY CASE

The so-called "Partial Birth Abortion" procedure was created to kill full term babies. The glitch in the Manslaughter law allowed abortion technicians to turn a full term baby inside the birth canal and cause a "breach birth" where the feet appear first instead of the head. Anyone want to venture a guess as to why the abortion technicians want to add more discomfort to a woman by reaching in and turning the baby in the birth canal in a painful procedure? Technically the baby is not born if a portion of the head remains in the birth canal. The worst thing that can happen to a late term abortion technician is the living baby falling out to the table before it can be stabbed to death while it is inches from birth. What do you do with a living baby? Apparently it happened recently in a sleazy abortion "clinic" In Philidelphia Pa. A "doctor" named Kermit Gasnell is accused of tha stabbing to death of at least 7 babies. His wife and 9 employees have also been charged.

This pharmacist was wrong and severely overreacted in this situation. Ironically, most of the critics on this board are overreacting as well.

If the woman was in imminent danger of bleeding to death, why was she released without care from the Planned Parenthood location? Logical answer - she was not in imminent danger. If the woman was in imminent danger of bleeding to death, why did she drive over half an hour to this pharmacy passing several other pharmacies along the way? Logical answer - she was not in imminent danger.

Not only was she not likely in imminent danger, there were several pharmacies in the immediate vicinity of that walgreens - including another walgreens that was only seven minutes away. If she had the werewithal to get to a pharmacy over half an hour from the clinic, I'm 99% sure she could get to another pharmacy only seven minutes away.

However, none of this has any impact on the validity of the law. As the OP pointed out, the pharmacist was not acting within the limits of the law. Most everyone agrees that what she did was wrong, and the law says what she did was wrong. I fail to see the problem.

Was the pharmacist's reaction stupid? Yes. Are some of the reactions on this forum equally stupid? Yes.

Remember:

The law itself:

Thoughts USMB?

Nope, but if I posted a link about someone suing someone because they refused to serve them tofu at a steak house you would have no problem concluding the suit was BS. We have one side of a story, no reply form the defendant, and everyone wants to jump on the bandwagon because what is being said is so horrible, and it feeds into their own personal prejudices about Christians in general.

If it was anything else everyone in this thread would be pointing out exactly what I just said and cautioning against jumping to conclusions. Despite the lessons we just had in that as a result of the shootings in Tucson people are still jumping to conclusions and falling all over themselves to condemn someone without even wondering what she might say to defend herself.

Last edited:

Of course not.

Never mind the fact this was in the original article:

“Planned Parenthood of the Great Northwest public affairs staff has since contacted Walgreens’ corporate office, and corrective action was taken with the Nampa pharmacist,” Kristen Glundberg-Prossor, Planned Parenthood of the Great Northwest’s director of public affairs, said.
Also, there's the fact that this woman's religion never came into question in the original post if I remember reading correctly. All that was mentioned was she denied the woman her medication due to her beliefs.

Corrective action was taken? That is corporate speak for covering their ass to avoid a lawsuit, and anyone that takes it as proof of anything would believe anything at all.

typical CHRISTIAN SPIN
they dont believe everything they read unless it suits there voodoo beliefs
*the bible *

yes the story *could *have been made up very possible

things have been made up before to suit a perticular mantra .
example the bible .

christians dont think like that thou ,funny how if it goes against thier religious dogma they want PROVE ITS FACT .
Dont want to give us proof about the man in the sky thou
we are just supposed to take their word for it .

Nice try. Why don't you try pointing out all the times I have posted about the war against Christians and all that BS.

You know, I'm a little baffled...

If she was bleeding so badly she needed medication, why was she released from the clinic? I've gone with multiple women to get abortions (through work) and never once was any of them prescribed anti-bleeding medication...

The story is fishy.

There's only one source of information - Planned Parenthood (and anonymous at that).

Planned Parenthood is notoriously hinky about keeping records, so one assumes they aren't going to release the name of the woman or anything else. So we have only their word on this, and they're shady butchers; at best.

The reality is probably that they let somebody go home who was bleeding profusely, she died, and they're trying to find someone to blame.

Forum List

Back