Pharmacist Denies Anti-Bleeding Medication Because Woman Might Have Had an Abortion

Reading the law, it's very clear what treatment may be withheld for reasons of conscience, and under what circumstances. Whether the condition was serious enough to be life threatening is one question, but also medication to stop bleeding regardless of the reason doesn't fit any of the categories listed.

I'd say Walgreen's was right to take that "corrective action" in regards to the former pharmacist. Here's hoping she didn't go back to any position in the medical field. Its obviously not a good fit for her conscience - or lack thereof.

Pharmacist Denies Anti-Bleeding Medication Because Woman Might Have Had an Abortion | Women's Rights | Change.org

A pharmacist at a Nampa, Idaho, Walgreens refused to dispense medication that stops uterine bleeding because she suspected the woman may have had an abortion. The pharmacist invoked the state's new so-called conscience clause that allows pharmacists to refuse to fill prescriptions for emergency contraceptives and abortifacient drugs, among other things, if they have a personal problem with it.

Original article:

Complaint targets Nampa pharmacist - Idaho Press-Tribune: News

Let's go over a couple things real quick.

1.) She already had the abortion if she wants this medication (if she did have the abortion).

Remember:

So this has nothing to do with saving a fetus or a couple cells. In this case, this is about punishing someone for what the pharmacist considered wrong.

2.) The same law that the Pharmacist used to not fill the prescription may be the same law that the pharmacist broke.

Let's recall, shall we? Original article:

The law itself:

http://www.legislature.idaho.gov/legislation/2010/S1353.pdf

If a health care professional invokes a conscience right in a life-threatening situation where no other health care professional capable of treating the emergency is available, such health care professional shall provide treatment and care until an alternate health care professional capable of treating the emergency is found.

Thoughts USMB?

Regardless of what her personal feelings are, she took a job *requiring* her to dispense medicines, and such items that are meant to help people for a variety of reasons. If she can't do it, she should have gotten out of that line of work long ago.

This line is telling. I wonder if the state shouldn't be sued as well...........

"The pharmacist invoked the state's new so-called conscience clause that allows pharmacists to refuse to fill prescriptions for emergency contraceptives and abortifacient drugs, among other things, if they have a personal problem with it."

California has a similar law that lets a physican not provide castration for sex offenders who served their time, but must undergo the procedure for release. If he thinks it is wrong, he is excused until they find a Dr. willing to do the job.

When a doctor botches your mom's assisted suicide, and has to get more meds from the pharmacist to finish mom off, maybe you'll be lucky enough to have a pharmacist that says "shove it up your ass, doc."

Revere continues his disgusting lunacy.

When a doctor botches your mom's assisted suicide, and has to get more meds from the pharmacist to finish mom off, maybe you'll be lucky enough to have a pharmacist that says "shove it up your ass, doc."

Hey dude! You are over the line here. Not supposed to mention family members. Remember dat?? :eusa_hand:

Reading the law, it's very clear what treatment may be withheld for reasons of conscience, and under what circumstances. Whether the condition was serious enough to be life threatening is one question, but also medication to stop bleeding regardless of the reason doesn't fit any of the categories listed.

I'd say Walgreen's was right to take that "corrective action" in regards to the former pharmacist. Here's hoping she didn't go back to any position in the medical field. Its obviously not a good fit for her conscience - or lack thereof.

Frankly, the fact that this "Conscience clause" is being applied to any lawful purpose makes my skin crawl.

This line is telling. I wonder if the state shouldn't be sued as well...........

"The pharmacist invoked the state's new so-called conscience clause that allows pharmacists to refuse to fill prescriptions for emergency contraceptives and abortifacient drugs, among other things, if they have a personal problem with it."

No, the state has a clause that I posted earlier that the pharmacist did not follow. As much as I disagree with Idaho's law, the fault for this incident lies at the feet of the woman.

Pharmacist Denies Anti-Bleeding Medication Because Woman Might Have Had an Abortion | Women's Rights | Change.org

A pharmacist at a Nampa, Idaho, Walgreens refused to dispense medication that stops uterine bleeding because she suspected the woman may have had an abortion. The pharmacist invoked the state's new so-called conscience clause that allows pharmacists to refuse to fill prescriptions for emergency contraceptives and abortifacient drugs, among other things, if they have a personal problem with it.

Last November, a woman took her prescription for Methergine, a drug that stops uterine bleeding regardless of cause, to Walgreens. The pharmacist, suspicious that the woman's uncontrolled bleeding may have been the result of an abortion, called the nurse practitioner who wrote the prescription to inquire why the patient needed it. When the nurse refused to answer because to do so would violate the patient's confidentiality, the pharmacist hung up on her and refused to fill the prescription.

Essentially, the pharmacist was saying that, while her conscience was just dandy with letting a woman bleed out, it would have a problem saving her life if it was even a possibility that the blood loss was connected to an abortion. The pharmacist's conscience being so fickle, apparently also prevented her from even referring the woman to a pharmacy who would fill her prescription, leaving her alone, bleeding, and lost. Someone care to explain to me how this qualifies as pro-life?

Original article:

Complaint targets Nampa pharmacist - Idaho Press-Tribune: News

Let's go over a couple things real quick.

1.) She already had the abortion if she wants this medication (if she did have the abortion).

Remember:

So this has nothing to do with saving a fetus or a couple cells. In this case, this is about punishing someone for what the pharmacist considered wrong.

2.) The same law that the Pharmacist used to not fill the prescription may be the same law that the pharmacist broke.

Let's recall, shall we? Original article:

The nurse alleged that the pharmacist hung up when asked for a referral to another pharmacy that would fill the prescription.

The law itself:

http://www.legislature.idaho.gov/legislation/2010/S1353.pdf

If a health care professional invokes a conscience right in a life-threatening situation where no other health care professional capable of treating the emergency is available, such health care professional shall provide treatment and care until an alternate health care professional capable of treating the emergency is found.

Thoughts USMB?
She should lose her job, and only because of the last part of the OP.
If I walk out of my job, I can get my state license taken away. There are rules like this for a reason.

I am also not surprised this happened Nampa. My mom grew up there, and it is like a time warp.

Frankly, the fact that this "Conscience clause" is being applied to any lawful purpose makes my skin crawl.

I don't agree with the law, at all. But I don't live in Idaho, I don't have a say in it and it's the law. This pharmacist clearly didn't follow it.

The second article indicates she is no longer working for Walgreen's. Hopefully she didn't get hired as a pharmacist anywhere else.

Why make a federal case about the incident? To gin up hatred (and violence?) against those who are against abortion? If his conduct was against the law, prosecute him. Otherwise change the law or live with it.

I don't agree with the law, at all. But I don't live in Idaho, I don't have a say in it and it's the law. This pharmacist clearly didn't follow it.

The second article indicates she is no longer working for Walgreen's. Hopefully she didn't get hired as a pharmacist anywhere else.
Be glad you don't live in Idaho. :lol:
I don't agree with these laws at all. If you go into health care, it is because you want to help people, not judge them. I do a lot of stuff I don't want to do.

I don't agree with these laws at all. If you go into health care, it is because you want to help people, not judge them. I do a lot of stuff I don't want to do.

Does that include physician assisted suicide? Should you not go into medicine in a state that provides for that?

i actually agree with the law, but believe this to be a misapplication of the law

Does that include physician assisted suicide? Should you not go into medicine in a state that provides for that?

Stretch much?
I also think providing anti bleeding medication, is a little different then helping someone kill themself. Which I also agree with.

Forum List

Back