Pharmacist Denies Anti-Bleeding Medication Because Woman Might Have Had an Abortion

Hi. I'm new to posting here, though I've lurked a bit. I didn't start a thread to introduce myself, because I always feel like that's saying 'come say hi to me'. To me, and for myself, anyway.

As to this thread, there are reasons for uterine bleeding beyond abortion and beyond IUDs. Several years ago, my period didn't stop. Every evening it would seem like it was going to, and every morning it would start up again. When this was going on into the 3rd week, I went to the Dr. Their explanation was that my body just sort of 'forgot' to turn it off, and prescribed medication to stop it. I'm glad I didn't run into a pharmacist who would take it upon herself to decide the reason I needed to stop uterine bleeding and refuse to give me the medication.

My only question is that, does the nurse have the ability to prescribe medication. Where I'm from pharmacist are allowed to turn down any drug if they don't think it is applicable (due to medical reasons not personal) or if they are suspicious of the reasoning behind the drug being prescribed.

My only question is that, does the nurse have the ability to prescribe medication. Where I'm from pharmacist are allowed to turn down any drug if they don't think it is applicable (due to medical reasons not personal) or if they are suspicious of the reasoning behind the drug being prescribed.

Nurse Practitioners can prescribe certain drugs.

Nurse Practitioners can prescribe certain drugs.
can prescribe ANY drugs

Sounds to me like an anti bleeding medication might be important....It might be an important prescription to have filled because the Doctor prescribed it.Where do we go with this? Will Doctors be allowed to tell a patient they should go for treatment elsewhere because the person caught an STD while having an affair or having gay sex....or that nasty looking boil on the butt disgusts the Doctor....

This is pretty disturbing.I have been on line at a Pharmacy feeling sick as a dog and was waiting for my turn to get my prescription and I just wanted to get started on my antibiotic....You get sick,you get medicine not someone's moral judgment.

Be glad you don't live in Idaho. :lol:
I don't agree with these laws at all. If you go into health care, it is because you want to help people, not judge them. I do a lot of stuff I don't want to do.

Don't we all? :lol:

But the law is very specific, if you go to the link in the OP and read it. It lists only certain treatments that can be denied, and they cannot be denied if the patient's life is endangered until and unless another provider is located who is able and willing to take over.

Under any possible argument, it's an uber fail for the pharmacist. May she find a great job....outside the helping professions.

"The helping professions?" Which ones are those?

Not surprised YOU have to ask...."helping" not in your vocab.

I don't see as where it was life threatening.

Get used to health care professionals opting out of lots of things government demands they do, as a course of conscience.

Woman bleeding. Meh...happens every month, eh Revere?
you'll have to wait for your answer on that one

Just saw that....I bet Dis is right on target (I too am sorry for the violent imagery).

She didn't even have confirmation there was an abortion! Although that's irrelevant. She needs to be fired. Too many conscientious people out there need that job.

In a free country, a person is free to sell or not sell something as they see fit.

Don't get the product you want? Too bad, go somewhere else.

Like a firearm, pinko's want to restrict the sale of those constantly. Ya know, baby haters really hate the concept of self defense, after all if the almighty government determines you should die then the parasite pinko will preach to marx almighty on how such and such self defense must be forbidden from sale.

But step in the way of baby butchering, then the pinko comes out in full force hypocrisy.

Granted the woman could on some slim chance have been duped by pinko propaganda into killing her own baby (at a nice tidy profit for the pinko)...

In a free country, a person is free to sell or not sell something as they see fit.

Don't get the product you want? Too bad, go somewhere else.

Like a firearm, pinko's want to restrict the sale of those constantly. Ya know, baby haters really hate the concept of self defense, after all if the almighty government determines you should die then the parasite pinko will preach to marx almighty on how such and such self defense must be forbidden from sale.

But step in the way of baby butchering, then the pinko comes out in full force hypocrisy.

Granted the woman could on some slim chance have been duped by pinko propaganda into killing her own baby (at a nice tidy profit for the pinko)...

"pinko"? :doubt: "baby haters"? :doubt:

:lol::lol::lol:

Hi. I'm new to posting here, though I've lurked a bit. I didn't start a thread to introduce myself, because I always feel like that's saying 'come say hi to me'. To me, and for myself, anyway.

As to this thread, there are reasons for uterine bleeding beyond abortion and beyond IUDs. Several years ago, my period didn't stop. Every evening it would seem like it was going to, and every morning it would start up again. When this was going on into the 3rd week, I went to the Dr. Their explanation was that my body just sort of 'forgot' to turn it off, and prescribed medication to stop it. I'm glad I didn't run into a pharmacist who would take it upon herself to decide the reason I needed to stop uterine bleeding and refuse to give me the medication.

First off in response to the above post, welcome to USMB, Demon.

Second, in regards to Arkangel's post, I agree, the woman should simply have gone to another pharmacist. My guess is that there was another pharmacist in the very store she was in. If not, there was most likely another pharmacy within five miles.

Third, the pharmacist was wrong in what she did! Even if the woman attempting to have the prescription filled had an abortion, the abortion had already been completed. Regardless of what had caused the bleeding the life of the woman (whether or not she had had an abortion) is important to protect. IMHO the pharmacist was wrong not to fill that prescription.

Immie

Forum List

Back