Pharmacist Denies Anti-Bleeding Medication Because Woman Might Have Had an Abortion

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Pharmacist Denies Anti-Bleeding Medication Because Woman Might Have Had an Abortion | Women's Rights | Change.org

A pharmacist at a Nampa, Idaho, Walgreens refused to dispense medication that stops uterine bleeding because she suspected the woman may have had an abortion. The pharmacist invoked the state's new so-called conscience clause that allows pharmacists to refuse to fill prescriptions for emergency contraceptives and abortifacient drugs, among other things, if they have a personal problem with it.

Last November, a woman took her prescription for Methergine, a drug that stops uterine bleeding regardless of cause, to Walgreens. The pharmacist, suspicious that the woman's uncontrolled bleeding may have been the result of an abortion, called the nurse practitioner who wrote the prescription to inquire why the patient needed it. When the nurse refused to answer because to do so would violate the patient's confidentiality, the pharmacist hung up on her and refused to fill the prescription.

Essentially, the pharmacist was saying that, while her conscience was just dandy with letting a woman bleed out, it would have a problem saving her life if it was even a possibility that the blood loss was connected to an abortion. The pharmacist's conscience being so fickle, apparently also prevented her from even referring the woman to a pharmacy who would fill her prescription, leaving her alone, bleeding, and lost. Someone care to explain to me how this qualifies as pro-life?

Original article:

Complaint targets Nampa pharmacist - Idaho Press-Tribune: News

Idaho Board of Pharmacy Executive Director Mark Johnston confirmed that the board received the complaint alleging that on Nov. 6, a Walgreens pharmacist refused to fill a prescription ordered by one of Planned Parenthood of the Great Northwest’s Boise-based nurse practitioners.

Planned Parenthood officials said in the complaint that the pharmacist inquired if the patient needed the drug for post-abortion care. The nurse refused to answer the question based on confidentiality of health information.

According to Planned Parenthood, the pharmacist then stated that if the nurse practitioner did not disclose that information, she would not fill the prescription. The nurse alleged that the pharmacist hung up when asked for a referral to another pharmacy that would fill the prescription.

Let's go over a couple things real quick.

1.) She already had the abortion if she wants this medication (if she did have the abortion).

Remember:

The prescription was for a Planned Parenthood patient for Methergine, a medicine used to prevent or control bleeding of the uterus following childbirth or an abortion.

So this has nothing to do with saving a fetus or a couple cells. In this case, this is about punishing someone for what the pharmacist considered wrong.

2.) The same law that the Pharmacist used to not fill the prescription may be the same law that the pharmacist broke.

Let's recall, shall we? Original article:

The nurse alleged that the pharmacist hung up when asked for a referral to another pharmacy that would fill the prescription.

The law itself:

http://www.legislature.idaho.gov/legislation/2010/S1353.pdf

If a health care professional invokes a conscience right in a life-threatening situation where no other health care professional capable of treating the emergency is available, such health care professional shall provide treatment and care until an alternate health care professional capable of treating the emergency is found.

Thoughts USMB?

I don't see as where it was life threatening.

Get used to health care professionals opting out of lots of things government demands they do, as a course of conscience.

Did you bother to even read the articles before you wanted to post some of your talking points?

The right can celebrate, now instead of govt making death panel type decisions Pharmicists can now do it. It is back in private industries hands where it should be?

Revere, if this was life threatening, which it appears it was, the Pharmacist was wrong. No matter what their personal feelings.

Exactly. Not only was it wrong, but she also broke the law. If what the articles say are completely true, then I doubt this pharmacist will be keeping her job and license for very long.

The pharmacist's license should be revoked. Walgreen's should be fined for allowing this.

Walgreens will likely be getting sued and will probably settle out of court faster than The Road Runner on a open field.

Pharmacist Denies Anti-Bleeding Medication Because Woman Might Have Had an Abortion | Women's Rights | Change.org

A pharmacist at a Nampa, Idaho, Walgreens refused to dispense medication that stops uterine bleeding because she suspected the woman may have had an abortion. The pharmacist invoked the state's new so-called conscience clause that allows pharmacists to refuse to fill prescriptions for emergency contraceptives and abortifacient drugs, among other things, if they have a personal problem with it.

Last November, a woman took her prescription for Methergine, a drug that stops uterine bleeding regardless of cause, to Walgreens. The pharmacist, suspicious that the woman's uncontrolled bleeding may have been the result of an abortion, called the nurse practitioner who wrote the prescription to inquire why the patient needed it. When the nurse refused to answer because to do so would violate the patient's confidentiality, the pharmacist hung up on her and refused to fill the prescription.

Essentially, the pharmacist was saying that, while her conscience was just dandy with letting a woman bleed out, it would have a problem saving her life if it was even a possibility that the blood loss was connected to an abortion. The pharmacist's conscience being so fickle, apparently also prevented her from even referring the woman to a pharmacy who would fill her prescription, leaving her alone, bleeding, and lost. Someone care to explain to me how this qualifies as pro-life?

Original article:

Complaint targets Nampa pharmacist - Idaho Press-Tribune: News

Let's go over a couple things real quick.

1.) She already had the abortion if she wants this medication (if she did have the abortion).

Remember:

So this has nothing to do with saving a fetus or a couple cells. In this case, this is about punishing someone for what the pharmacist considered wrong.

2.) The same law that the Pharmacist used to not fill the prescription may be the same law that the pharmacist broke.

Let's recall, shall we? Original article:

The nurse alleged that the pharmacist hung up when asked for a referral to another pharmacy that would fill the prescription.

The law itself:

http://www.legislature.idaho.gov/legislation/2010/S1353.pdf

If a health care professional invokes a conscience right in a life-threatening situation where no other health care professional capable of treating the emergency is available, such health care professional shall provide treatment and care until an alternate health care professional capable of treating the emergency is found.

Thoughts USMB?

Regardless of what her personal feelings are, she took a job *requiring* her to dispense medicines, and such items that are meant to help people for a variety of reasons. If she can't do it, she should have gotten out of that line of work long ago.

I think she may have violated her oath, and should be disbarred in America.

Oath of a Pharmacist

At this time, I vow to devote my professional life to the service of all humankind through the professionof pharmacy.

I will consider the welfare of humanityand relief of human suffering my primary concerns.

I will apply my knowledge, experience, and skills to the best of my ability to assure optimal drug therapy outcomes for the patients I serve.

I will keep abreast of developments and maintain professional competency in my profession of pharmacy. I will maintain the highest principles of moral, ethical and legal conduct.

I will embrace and advocate change in the profession of pharmacy that improves patient care.

I take these vows voluntarily with the full realization of the responsibility with which I am entrusted by the public.

I don't see as where it was life threatening.

Get used to health care professionals opting out of lots of things government demands they do, as a course of conscience.

^^^^^^^^^^^One in every crowd, isn't there?

The right can celebrate, now instead of govt making death panel type decisions Pharmicists can now do it. It is back in private industries hands where it should be?

Do you HAVE a purpose here, or is it just to troll? I'M on the right, and I say she was fucking wrong.

When a doctor botches your mom's assisted suicide, and has to get more meds from the pharmacist to finish mom off, maybe you'll be lucky enough to have a pharmacist that says "shove it up your ass, doc."

Forum List

Back