Pharmacist Denies Anti-Bleeding Medication Because Woman Might Have Had an Abortion

You know, I'm a little baffled...

If she was bleeding so badly she needed medication, why was she released from the clinic? I've gone with multiple women to get abortions (through work) and never once was any of them prescribed anti-bleeding medication...
the point that seems to be missed here is we do not know if this woman had even had an abortion
or what the meds were prescribed for

If she was bleeding so badly she needed medication, why was she released from the clinic? I've gone with multiple women to get abortions (through work) and never once was any of them prescribed anti-bleeding medication...

The story is fishy.

There's only one source of information - Planned Parenthood (and anonymous at that).

Planned Parenthood is notoriously hinky about keeping records, so one assumes they aren't going to release the name of the woman or anything else. So we have only their word on this, and they're shady butchers; at best.

The reality is probably that they let somebody go home who was bleeding profusely, she died, and they're trying to find someone to blame.

Did you even bother to read the article before you tried to write this off and started to attack PP?

Idaho Board of Pharmacy Executive Director Mark Johnston confirmed that the board received the complaint alleging that on Nov. 6, a Walgreens pharmacist refused to fill a prescription ordered by one of Planned Parenthood of the Great Northwest’s Boise-based nurse practitioners.

The prescription was for a Planned Parenthood patient for Methergine, a medicine used to prevent or control bleeding of the uterus following childbirth or an abortion.

“Planned Parenthood of the Great Northwest public affairs staff has since contacted Walgreens’ corporate office, and corrective action was taken with the Nampa pharmacist,” Kristen Glundberg-Prossor, Planned Parenthood of the Great Northwest’s director of public affairs, said.

Walgreens and the Idaho Board of Pharmacy confirms that an incident happen, but you think it didn't. :cuckoo:

Exactly.

It sounds like a PP propaganda sweep. There are no particulars, no names, no nothing, and only one source.

My paper wouldn't have let me run that story. They would have sent me back out to get information either from people at the pharmacy, even if it was just customers, a NAME from PP, and more specifics.

Otherwise it's just fluff and potential libel.

The story is fishy.

There's only one source of information - Planned Parenthood (and anonymous at that).

Planned Parenthood is notoriously hinky about keeping records, so one assumes they aren't going to release the name of the woman or anything else. So we have only their word on this, and they're shady butchers; at best.

Did you even bother to read the article before you tried to write this off and started to attack PP?

The prescription was for a Planned Parenthood patient for Methergine, a medicine used to prevent or control bleeding of the uterus following childbirth or an abortion.

“Planned Parenthood of the Great Northwest public affairs staff has since contacted Walgreens’ corporate office, and corrective action was taken with the Nampa pharmacist,” Kristen Glundberg-Prossor, Planned Parenthood of the Great Northwest’s director of public affairs, said.

Walgreens and the Idaho Board of Pharmacy confirms that an incident happen, but you think it didn't. :cuckoo:

Yeah, we all know what an honorable institution PP is! How dare we question them!

You're an idiot, Slobbert. The only indication that the corrective action was taken comes from PP. In other words, it's still one source.

Exactly.

It sounds like a PP propaganda sweep. There are no particulars, no names, no nothing, and only one source.

My paper wouldn't have let me run that story. They would have sent me back out to get information either from people at the pharmacy, even if it was just customers, a NAME from PP, and more specifics.

Otherwise it's just fluff and potential libel.

Why would they release the names? They released several particulars:

The pharmacist worked for the Walgreens at 932 Nampa-Caldwell Blvd., at the intersection with Midland Boulevard.

Planned Parenthood officials said in the complaint that the pharmacist inquired if the patient needed the drug for post-abortion care. The nurse refused to answer the question based on confidentiality of health information.

According to Planned Parenthood, the pharmacist then stated that if the nurse practitioner did not disclose that information, she would not fill the prescription. The nurse alleged that the pharmacist hung up when asked for a referral to another pharmacy that would fill the prescription.

Read more closely next time.

Yeah, we all know what an honorable institution PP is! How dare we question them!

You're an idiot, Slobbert. The only indication that the corrective action was taken comes from PP. In other words, it's still one source.

Abortion patient denied life saving drug by Walgreens pharmacist - National Humanist | Examiner.com

In a short statement issued Thursday, Walgreen Co. spokesman Jim Cohn said the pharmacist responded to the complaint with the Idaho Board of Pharmacy. He didn't give specifics.

It's also company policy of Walgreens to not comment on corporate action such as this.

Walgreens says pharmacist responded to complaint - Yahoo! Finance

He says the board investigated the matter and "to the best of (Walgreens') knowledge" has not taken any adverse action.

Jan Atkinson, a Board of Pharmacy compliance officer, said Wednesday her office received the complaint in November, but indicated an investigation was continuing.

Also, there's nothing on this since the 12th, when it aired, which is suspicious. PP filed a complaint then I'll bet they withdrew it when they found they didn't have a foot to stand on.

We don't even know that the pharmacist refused treatment because it was an abortion. The article says the pharmacist called to ask what the med was for, and they refused to tell her, so she refused to provide it.

Seems responsible to me.

do you know how many possible reasons such a drug could be prescribed?

the point that seems to be missed here is we do not know if this woman had even had an abortion

Actually, we do, because we know Planned Parenthood is involved.

Abortion patient denied life saving drug by Walgreens pharmacist - National Humanist | Examiner.com

In a short statement issued Thursday, Walgreen Co. spokesman Jim Cohn said the pharmacist responded to the complaint with the Idaho Board of Pharmacy. He didn't give specifics.

It's also company policy of Walgreens to not comment on corporate action such as this.

He says the board investigated the matter and "to the best of (Walgreens') knowledge" has not taken any adverse action.

Jan Atkinson, a Board of Pharmacy compliance officer, said Wednesday her office received the complaint in November, but indicated an investigation was continuing.
wait, so now they are confirming this woman did indeed have an abortion?

The story is fishy.

No they don't, they confirm that they received a complaint. A complaint is not evidence unless you believe everything you read.

And it's PP's policy to lie and obfuscate.

They filed a complaint, and that's all we know. Doesn't look to me like we have any evidence (except the probable lie told by PP) that the pharmacist was subjected to corrective action. Nor is there any evidence that the medication was withheld specifically because it was used to medicate a woman after an abortion.

Actually, we do, because we know Planned Parenthood is involved.
so, the PP clinics dont do anything else for womens health but abortions?

Also, there's nothing on this since the 12th, when it aired, which is suspicious. PP filed a complaint then I'll bet they withdrew it when they found they didn't have a foot to stand on.

We don't even know that the pharmacist refused treatment because it was an abortion. The article says the pharmacist called to ask what the med was for, and they refused to tell her, so she refused to provide it.

Seems responsible to me.

Are you kidding me? Nothing since 8 days ago so therefore it's suspicious?

First you're trying to say it never happened. Then you tried to say PP lied. Then you try to say PP withdrew the complaint (when they didn't).

You keep changing it as you continue to get your facts wrong.

There are not that many uses for the drug she asked for.

Methergine | Prescription Drug Information, Side Effects | PDRHealth

Methergine is a medication known as an ergot alkaloid that is used to help prevent and control bleeding in pregnant women during or after labor and delivery.

Which is exactly what you're doing.

You're giving a one-source story a lot more credence than anyone in the news business will, and your desire to pillory someone for imagined offenses against your idol, PP, has led you to accept shady and questionable information that has in no way been verified.

It's not verified that the pharmacist withheld the drug because it was used post-abortion. In fact, the articles state that the pharmacist withheld the drug because she couldn't get an answer regarding it's use.

It's not verified that there was corrective action taken, in fact all that has been verified is that a complaint was filed.

So all your huffing and puffing is pie in the sky.

Which is exactly what you're doing.

You're giving a one-source story a lot more credence than anyone in the news business will, and your desire to pillory someone for imagined offenses against your idol, PP, has led you to accept shady and questionable information that has in no way been verified.

It's not verified that the pharmacist withheld the drug because it was used post-abortion. In fact, the articles state that the pharmacist withheld the drug because she couldn't get an answer regarding it's use.

It's not verified that there was corrective action taken, in fact all that has been verified is that a complaint was filed.

So all your huffing and puffing is pie in the sky.

My idol PP? Seriously Allie, get a grip. You've done nothing but deflect and not acted for one moment like this could of possibly happened. Right after you saw PP was involved, you clearly freaked out. It would be close to impossible one would think to try and have a rational discussion with you about this.

so, the PP clinics dont do anything else for womens health but abortions?

Quite often they do, but family planning and birth control are their primary reason for existence, hence their name.
so, it is possible this woman needed this med for something like excessive menstral bleeding or fibriods?

It is also possible that she chose that particular pharmacy at random, even though she drove past others before she got there.

Forum List

Back