Peter Hitchens: Why did French hero Arnaud Bertrame give his life to save others? Christianity

Interesting read, I never heard of this Lech Walesa before, though he is a well known politician who fought communism, I will need to pursue some more details about him.

Considering the authors better known brother, this is a unique perspective. It's certainly one of the more selfless acts and one very few would partake.

RIP. I believe he's Home now.

Right. Only Christians give their lives for others.

I don't recall reading that or anyone saying that only Christians give their lives for others. The argument is for Bertrame, this is his reason for doing so. It's certainly a decision that is well outside the norms of what the average person would do, even the average officer. His belief system and sense of duty had to have driven him, especially considering the man had already killed two others.

One might also throw this out, feminists might want to acknowledge, that chivalry also played a role. Would he had switched places if a strong man were being held? Food for thought...

We could hope that the next time ignorant insults about France and the French are tossed about, this man will be remembered. He was a true professional who did his job as it should be done. The Gendarmes (meaning 'those armed') are a national police force that is part of the military.

Forum List

Back