Personal finance

Best you learn to communicate more precisely.
I graduated in this state about 54 years ago.
Wife and I between us raised five kids whom went to school in this state.
Of our 13 grandkids, nine are being educated in this state.

If you understood my earlier post, I retaught at home to my children and grands what the education system botched on.

One example, about ten years back when my oldest was using his G.I. Bill to do college, they required he and all other students redo basic level English Comp. and math/Algebra that should be done in high school, but isn't done well enough. Hence every one has to redo it again.
You're blaming the lack of understanding of your Childs lack of Algebra skills on the schools. C'mon man, Algebra is basic math.
I taught Algebra to 7th Graders.
Possibly.
Like many of them you lack courage and balls to make public your bona fides. And likely exaggerate and embellish.
When click on the "About" part of your Profile page here;
"This member limits who may view their full profile."
It's usually the pseudo-liberal whom can't be open and honest on what they are.
Anyone who reads the posts here know exactly what my job was and currently is.
I'm not hiding anything.

You're blaming the lack of understanding of your Childs lack of Algebra skills on the schools. C'mon man, Algebra is basic math.
I taught Algebra to 7th Graders.

Anyone who reads the posts here know exactly what my job was and currently is.
I'm not hiding anything.
1) When did you teach Algebra to 7th Graders?
2) What part of this being a required subject for the community college degree, which I said earlier, did you not understand or grasp? It wasn't my son alone, but all his fellow students whom had to take and pass the college level repeat of the high school level course.
3) Stash your hubris! I've haven't interest or time to scroll through your hundreds of posts to find what you might reveal there. Which may or may not be true and accurate. It's not that difficult to update your "Profile" page on this board and make such ready and easy to find, unless ....

1) When did you teach Algebra to 7th Graders?
2) What part of this being a required subject for the community college degree, which I said earlier, did you not understand or grasp? It wasn't my son alone, but all his fellow students whom had to take and pass the college level repeat of the high school level course.
3) Stash your hubris! I've haven't interest or time to scroll through your hundreds of posts to find what you might reveal there. Which may or may not be true and accurate. It's not that difficult to update your "Profile" page on this board and make such ready and easy to find, unless ....
I taught Algebra to 7th graders EVERY year since 2005, when I moved to the MS.
8th Graders take Geometry.

Not ALL of them are in the advanced classes, they have to test into them.
MAPS testing is very accurate and immediate results.
Ever heard of MAPS testing.

Each year, the average class was 200-250 in my Middle School.
Out of those 200-250, approximately 60 tested into Algebra as 7th Graders, and another 30 when they reached 8th grade.

That leaves the rest of the 7th graders taking either 7th grade math or pre algebra (8th grade math), and the remaining 8th graders take 8th grade math, which we call pre algebra.

So, Algebra was a mixed class of 7th/8th graders, with 2/3 of them usually being 7th graders.

At the middle school, we typically had 3 Algebra Classes (90 total students) and 2 Geometry Classes (60 total students).

I taught Algebra to 7th graders EVERY year since 2005, when I moved to the MS.
8th Graders take Geometry.

Not ALL of them are in the advanced classes, they have to test into them.
MAPS testing is very accurate and immediate results.
Ever heard of MAPS testing.

Each year, the average class was 200-250 in my Middle School.
Out of those 200-250, approximately 60 tested into Algebra as 7th Graders, and another 30 when they reached 8th grade.

That leaves the rest of the 7th graders taking either 7th grade math or pre algebra (8th grade math), and the remaining 8th graders take 8th grade math, which we call pre algebra.

So, Algebra was a mixed class of 7th/8th graders, with 2/3 of them usually being 7th graders.

At the middle school, we typically had 3 Algebra Classes (90 total students) and 2 Geometry Classes (60 total stud8th ents).
That's interesting. Were these public schools? What state? I was in advanced math in a Maryland. junior high school which began with 8th grade algebra and 9th grade geometry.

That's interesting. Were these public schools? What state? I was in advanced math in a Maryland. junior high school which began with 8th grade algebra and 9th grade geometry.
I graduated HS in 1980.
I was a top math student and there were no advanced classes in MS, so I took:
9... Algebra
10..Geometry
11...Advanced Algebra or Alg II
12...Pre Calculus or Math Analysis.

When I got to the University, I took my first Calculus class.
It had approximately 60 students.
Half way through the quarter, the Professor asked the class, "Who took Calculus in HS." Everybody but me and One other student. My HS didn't offer Calculus in 1980, whereas other some other HS's did. He didn't ask who went to private school, public school or home schooled.

This HS is a Public HS. In WA State.
Over the course of 43 years, this same Public School District grew in overall size (student enrollment) and therefore the need to expand choices of higher level math.

So, in conclusion, What is offered today at this School District is not the same as what was offered in 1980. So yes, this same school district NOW offers Algebra to 7th graders. (Again, not ALL 7th graders, just the top ones that qualify though testing or previous teacher referral)

I graduated HS in 1980.
9... Algebra
10..Geometry

Half way through the quarter, the Professor asked the class, "Who took Calculus in HS." Everybody but me and One other student. My HS didn't offer Calculus in 1980, whereas other some other HS's did. He didn't ask who went to private school, public school or home schooled.

Over the course of 43 years, this same Public School District grew in overall size (student enrollment) and therefore the need to expand choices of higher level math.

So, in conclusion, What is offered today at this School District is not the same as what was offered in 1980. So yes, this same school district NOW offers Algebra to 7th graders. (Again, not ALL 7th graders, just the top ones that qualify though testing or previous teacher referral)
My public high school did offer Calculus. I was on track to take it as a Senior but I had enough credits that I applied for early dismissal. Like you I first took Calculus as a freshman, it didn't make much difference that I skipped taking it as a HS Senior.

I graduated HS in 1980.
9... Algebra
10..Geometry

What happened to Trig.? I know I took it but forget which year.

What happened to Trig.? I know I took it but forget which year.
There is an introduction to Trig in Geometry.
Then Trig is used in the higher courses too.

Sometimes Algebra II, is called Algebra2 w/Trig.
But there isn't typically a HS course that is Trig Only.
It starts in Geometry.

Forum List

Back