Perry (R) bailing on S.C. forum/debate

And yet they have been raging in his state for months now. It hasn't stopped his campaigning up to this point.

Maybe he DOES have his state's best interests at heart, but this just looks like he is running from debate.

He's gonna have to own up to the crap in his book, the cover-up of the execution of an innocent man, the unemployment rate in his state, the poverty level in his state, the number of uninsured in his state...and on and on at some point. Stop putting off the inevitable.

Yes, let's question his intentions during a time of natural disaster. The vast majority of Americans are not like you and I, or rather you. They do not sit around and question every act of politicians based on political motivations. Most people expect their elected representatives to be there to lead in times of crisis.

Unemployment in Texas? Of all the issues you could list unemployment in Texas is, which currently stands at 8.4%--well below the national average--, is not something Perry is going to be criticized for. http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/laus.pdf

And the things in his book are only 'controversial' to people on the left. It is laughable that MSNBC and the NY Times keeps telling people that his book should be an issue, when no one beyond MSNBC or the NYT gives a damn. Get rid of the IRS and man made global warming is bullshit, wow that is really going to hurt him in the GOP primary. :lol::lol:

8.4% is not "well below the national average", it's the tenth highest. States in the 3%-7% would be "well below the national average". This lie taints your whole premise.

My apologies, it's below the national average. Is your argument? If Perry is going to have to answer for the unemployment rate of Texas, then President Obama has lost of explaining to do. :lol:

Last edited:
Damned if you do - Damned if you don't...

Had he gone to the debate, the headline of this thread would have been:

Perry (R) bailing on Texas wildfire victims to attend SC forum/debate

meh...

If the state can't function in his absence, it was irresponsible for him to run in the first place.

What does the Lt. Governor due down there?

Yes, let's question his intentions during a time of natural disaster. The vast majority of Americans are not like you and I, or rather you. They do not sit around and question every act of politicians based on political motivations. Most people expect their elected representatives to be there to lead in times of crisis.

Unemployment in Texas? Of all the issues you could list unemployment in Texas is, which currently stands at 8.4%--well below the national average--, is not something Perry is going to be criticized for. http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/laus.pdf

And the things in his book are only 'controversial' to people on the left. It is laughable that MSNBC and the NY Times keeps telling people that his book should be an issue, when no one beyond MSNBC or the NYT gives a damn. Get rid of the IRS and man made global warming is bullshit, wow that is really going to hurt him in the GOP primary. :lol::lol:

8.4% is not "well below the national average", it's the tenth highest. States in the 3%-7% would be "well below the national average". This lie taints your whole premise.

My apologies, it's below the national average. Is your argument? If Perry is going to have to answer for the unemployment rate of Texas, then President Obama has lost of explaining to do. :lol:

I don't care about the unemployment rate, everyone in my family is working. If people aren't working it's their own fault. I was using the "fruit of the poison tree" theory on your post.

And if he hadn't gone back then people would criticize him for campaigning while his state is burning to the ground. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Are the fires that bad in Texas?

If so, then he probably has to be there. He still is the governor, after all.

Here are some interesting facts..

Non elected Perry said long ago, that he thought that any elected politician seeking higher office should resign the office he was presently in. Has he resigned yet? Nope...

Elected Perry has been dealing with these wild fires for months now.. it is not like it is new.. It is ironic that the wild fires suddenly are a "massive" problem that he has to abandon his campaigning to deal with them... any bets he will be back campaigning in a few days? Or maybe he will use the opportunity to complain over lack of federal help... while the media fail to challenge him on the fact he CUT fire fighting budgets during one of the longest droughts in Texas history...

And finally the deal breaker.... Candidate Perry and incumbent Perry has NEVER EVER debated those running against him.... he got elected in Texas and re-elected without ever holding debates against the challengers.

So one has to ask.... is he really that chicken or bad at debating.. he certainly is piss poor holding speeches... and has never run in an election where victory was not a certainty..

but lets see if he makes it back to the debate on Wednesday... or maybe the fires are even worse then!...

Last edited:
Is this any surprise really? The fires have been raging for some time now BUT he decides now that he's needed back in the Republic of Texas :rolleyes: He skipped the first debate and now he bails on this one. :clap2: Whats up bruh? I think he KNEW he was going to be asked some tough questions. The Forum was set-up for participants to be individually questioned by three people and he could'nt take the heat apparently ;)

Gov. Rick Perry to Skip Labor Day Forum, Return to Texas to Address Wildfires - Summerville, SC Patch
Perry was scheduled to attend Senator Jim DeMint's forum of Republican presidential contenders in Columbia at 3 p.m.

Or maybe he has a fucking JOB to do that he doesn't feel he can just blow off to play golf or whatever like some people I could mention. And maybe you dipshits would be attacking him if he DID stay for not going home and addressing the fires, so MAYBE no one should give a shit about your partisan prattle.

Texas has worse unemployment than 25 states and it's tied with Mississippi for most minimum-wage workers.
Neat.

And Perry’s supporters want this for the rest of the Nation.
Sure they do. 70% of Americans want SS to be left alone. Perry's idea of handing SS to the states will destroy it. That isn't what people want.

Well, it’s what conservatives want.

It can also be argued that minimum wage jobs with no benefits such as health insurance are not a great improvement over unemployment.

And if he hadn't gone back then people would criticize him for campaigning while his state is burning to the ground. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

so a few hours is really going to make a difference? So when does Perry put on the firemans helmet and start fighting the blazes?

Yes, shitstain, a few hours DOES make a difference in a wildfire.

There really is no end to your treasured ignorance about the world around you, is there?

When McCain ran back to Washington it basically killed his chance for the White house.
Not saying this will happen with perry, but people might look at this like that.

on the flipside he might benefit because in todays game of politics running back because of nature is seen as ok...

We're not talking about a fucking vote here, dumbass. We're talking about a natural disaster endangering people's lives. Anyone who thinks attending one of many debates should take precedence over that is a goddamned moron.

You don't think the people of Texas want their governor here doing his job instead of being in SC at a debate pursuing his campaign? And you wouldn't be criticizing him if he did the debate instead? I think we all know the answer to that one.

I think the people of the United States should want to know that their potential President has a sense of priority regarding politics versus endangered lives. I know I do. I've had it up to my ass with egomaniacs who can't see past their own "illustrious" political futures to what really matters.

Being 20% ahead in the polls in an 8 person race provides for some flexibility.

And that's without even debating, or maybe because of it.
EXACTLY ;)
Gallup has Romney up by 2 and Perry tied w/Obama. I wouldn't debate either.
Polls, polls, polls. The guy hasn't participated in one debate :( A good leader delegates authority. He either has confidence in his appointee's abilities or he doesn't.

Because we're dying to have a President who delegates all of his fucking responsibilities, no matter how important or urgent, to unelected lackeys while he goes and tends to his own selfish interests.

Thanks, but we already have one of those.

meh...

Yep, remember when they bitched cause Christie didn't go home for a little ole snow storm? bitchin dimwits.

meh...

Yep, remember when they bitched cause Christie didn't go home for a little ole snow storm? bitchin dimwits.

Yep and here was your response:

"whilst obie wan basked in the how r us sunshine. tis a pity, he should have his scrawny, can't throw a baseball ass back here talking those unions into line. meanwhile I think New Jersey cleaned up just fine without Gov. Christie. they don't seem to be the same maniacs they breed over in new yawk."

http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...-bush-christie-who-says-good-job-brownie.html

Are the fires that bad in Texas?

If so, then he probably has to be there. He still is the governor, after all.

Here are some interesting facts..

Non elected Perry said long ago, that he thought that any elected politician seeking higher office should resign the office he was presently in. Has he resigned yet? Nope...

Elected Perry has been dealing with these wild fires for months now.. it is not like it is new.. It is ironic that the wild fires suddenly are a "massive" problem that he has to abandon his campaigning to deal with them... any bets he will be back campaigning in a few days? Or maybe he will use the opportunity to complain over lack of federal help... while the media fail to challenge him on the fact he CUT fire fighting budgets during one of the longest droughts in Texas history...

And finally the deal breaker.... Candidate Perry and incumbent Perry has NEVER EVER debated those running against him.... he got elected in Texas and re-elected without ever holding debates against the challengers.

So one has to ask.... is he really that chicken or bad at debating.. he certainly is piss poor holding speeches... and has never run in an election where victory was not a certainty..

but lets see if he makes it back to the debate on Wednesday... or maybe the fires are even worse then!...

Even if all of those things are true, it does not mean that he should not go back to Texas. He is still the governor of Texas, and his duty is to the people of Texas, not to the Republican party. If he chooses not to attend any debates for any reason, so be it. That is his prerogative. For now, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

meh...

If the state can't function in his absence, it was irresponsible for him to run in the first place.

What does the Lt. Governor due down there?

I assume your later, more understanding post, trumps this....

From what I read, the situation in Texas has gotten worse lately so I have no problem with him bailing on this debate.

You don't think the people of Texas want their governor here doing his job instead of being in SC at a debate pursuing his campaign? And you wouldn't be criticizing him if he did the debate instead? I think we all know the answer to that one.

What is he really going to do that firefighters & other personnel aren't already doing. :eusa_eh:

You don't really think emergency management on that scale is coordinated and administered by the guys on the ground (or in the air, as the case may be), do you? Don't be a dumbass.

The governor of any state is an executive, whose job is to collect the incoming information in one place and make decisions on that basis which are then carried out by the people under him, all the way down to the guys in the field. His office provides coordination and cooperation between the varying authorities involved (which is no small matter, whatever you might think), decides when to ask for federal assistance and how much, and then acts as the liaison between federal, state, and local emergency management teams. He decides if and when to deploy the Texas National Guard to assist in firefighting and/or evacuation efforts. He is the ultimate authority and decision-maker for his state, the place where the buck eventually, inevitably stops.

Thanks for asking.

Forum List

Back