Perry (R) bailing on S.C. forum/debate

The Perry apologists are falling over themselves to defend his SECOND missed debate in a row LOL. AGAIN, what is he going to do that firefighters and other personnel aren't already doing?

I thought this debate was no big fucking deal. Wasn't that what you liberals were telling us when Obama wanted to pre-empt it? NOW, suddenly, it's the most important thing in the world.

Are the fires that bad in Texas?

If so, then he probably has to be there. He still is the governor, after all.

Here are some interesting facts..

Non elected Perry said long ago, that he thought that any elected politician seeking higher office should resign the office he was presently in. Has he resigned yet? Nope...

Elected Perry has been dealing with these wild fires for months now.. it is not like it is new.. It is ironic that the wild fires suddenly are a "massive" problem that he has to abandon his campaigning to deal with them... any bets he will be back campaigning in a few days? Or maybe he will use the opportunity to complain over lack of federal help... while the media fail to challenge him on the fact he CUT fire fighting budgets during one of the longest droughts in Texas history...

And finally the deal breaker.... Candidate Perry and incumbent Perry has NEVER EVER debated those running against him.... he got elected in Texas and re-elected without ever holding debates against the challengers.

So one has to ask.... is he really that chicken or bad at debating.. he certainly is piss poor holding speeches... and has never run in an election where victory was not a certainty..

but lets see if he makes it back to the debate on Wednesday... or maybe the fires are even worse then!...

Even if all of those things are true, it does not mean that he should not go back to Texas. He is still the governor of Texas, and his duty is to the people of Texas, not to the Republican party. If he chooses not to attend any debates for any reason, so be it. That is his prerogative. For now, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Dont get me wrong I agree.. he should go back if the situation was serious.

However considering his track record and the "conveniency" that the wildfires suddenly yet again are a major problem just ahead of a major debate... then you can not fault people on both sides of the political spectrum asking these questions.

Add to that... this fact

Spokesman: Gov. Rick Perry Will Not Resign During Presidential Campaign « CBS Dallas / Fort Worth

In 1989, as a state representative, he proposed an amendment to the Texas Constitution “providing for the automatic resignation from office of a person … who becomes a candidate for another elective office.”

then one has to ask..... when will he resign or has he also flip flopped on this issue?

You don't think the people of Texas want their governor here doing his job instead of being in SC at a debate pursuing his campaign? And you wouldn't be criticizing him if he did the debate instead? I think we all know the answer to that one.

What is he really going to do that firefighters & other personnel aren't already doing. :eusa_eh:

You're right... Politics should come before governing...

What were we thinking....

:lol:

Sounds to me like these people have no idea what a governor does normally, and so can't envision how that might translate into an emergency situation.

we have like 12 threads on that , its hard I know but try and focus.....or just start a I hate Perry thread and flush your brain there...thx.

Everyone else talking about it does not equate to the candidate who is governor of that state in question addressing it to the American public he wants to be President of...

Plenty of time between September 2011 and November 2012 to do that...

For now, he should take care of urgent state matters ahead of political debates...

But you knew that....

As far as I'm concerned, a governor who looks at something like that going on in his state, shrugs, and says, "I have a debate I have to go to. I'll do my job afterward" has nothing whatsoever to say of any interest to me in the rest of the campaign.

Non elected Perry said long ago, that he thought that any elected politician seeking higher office should resign the office he was presently in. Has he resigned yet? Nope...

Elected Perry has been dealing with these wild fires for months now.. it is not like it is new.. It is ironic that the wild fires suddenly are a "massive" problem that he has to abandon his campaigning to deal with them... any bets he will be back campaigning in a few days? Or maybe he will use the opportunity to complain over lack of federal help... while the media fail to challenge him on the fact he CUT fire fighting budgets during one of the longest droughts in Texas history...

And finally the deal breaker.... Candidate Perry and incumbent Perry has NEVER EVER debated those running against him.... he got elected in Texas and re-elected without ever holding debates against the challengers.

So one has to ask.... is he really that chicken or bad at debating.. he certainly is piss poor holding speeches... and has never run in an election where victory was not a certainty..

but lets see if he makes it back to the debate on Wednesday... or maybe the fires are even worse then!...

Even if all of those things are true, it does not mean that he should not go back to Texas. He is still the governor of Texas, and his duty is to the people of Texas, not to the Republican party. If he chooses not to attend any debates for any reason, so be it. That is his prerogative. For now, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

It is serious...

'nuff said....

Everyone else talking about it does not equate to the candidate who is governor of that state in question addressing it to the American public he wants to be President of...

For now, he should take care of urgent state matters ahead of political debates...

But you knew that....

And yet they have been raging in his state for months now. It hasn't stopped his campaigning up to this point.

Maybe he DOES have his state's best interests at heart, but this just looks like he is running from debate.

He's gonna have to own up to the crap in his book, the cover-up of the execution of an innocent man, the unemployment rate in his state, the poverty level in his state, the number of uninsured in his state...and on and on at some point. Stop putting off the inevitable.

You really know nothing about wildfires, do you? Wildfires are one of the most unpredictable, change-in-a-split-second natural disasters I know of. They can go along manageably for weeks or more, and then suddenly have a wind shift and BAM! They're out of control.

How do you know the situation hasn't become more urgent? I don't know that, and neither do you, because neither one of us actually works on Perry's staff.

It looks like he's "running from the debate" only because that's what you want to see.

And if he hadn't gone back then people would criticize him for campaigning while his state is burning to the ground. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

This is the correct motorcycle.

The barking moonbats are going to make whatever Perry does "wrong".

And what will Perry do? Grab a water hose, build a backfire, join Bush in cutting brush? Seems to me a leader seeking to be the next POTUS would use the debate as a forum to explain his position on responding to every region of the US from fire, flood and other natural and man-made disasters.

Correct.

Certainly there are knowledgeable and skilled administrators dealing with the problem, as well as private sector experts. Is there some knowledge about fighting fires that Perry only knows?

It’s symbolism, obviously.

But as some point Perry will be forced to participate in a debate, and address issues put before him by a sometimes-hostile media.

Better to do it now while few are paying attention, and learn from the mistakes.

There's some authority he has that "knowledgeable and skilled administrators" and "private sector experts" don't have: HE'S THE FUCKING GOVERNOR. It's only "symbolism, obviously" to someone who has no fucking clue what a governor does in the first place (take a bow, moron).

What is he really going to do that firefighters & other personnel aren't already doing. :eusa_eh:

Sounds to me like these people have no idea what a governor does normally, and so can't envision how that might translate into an emergency situation.

Apparently they believe that the role of governor of an American state is much like that of the figure head of Britain. It's all ceremonial and posh.

Though to the credit of some leftists they have acknowledged that Perry's responsibility as governor during a natural disaster in Texas does in fact trump one of countless GOP debates.

But you knew that....

And yet they have been raging in his state for months now. It hasn't stopped his campaigning up to this point.

Maybe he DOES have his state's best interests at heart, but this just looks like he is running from debate.

He's gonna have to own up to the crap in his book, the cover-up of the execution of an innocent man, the unemployment rate in his state, the poverty level in his state, the number of uninsured in his state...and on and on at some point. Stop putting off the inevitable.

You really know nothing about wildfires, do you? Wildfires are one of the most unpredictable, change-in-a-split-second natural disasters I know of. They can go along manageably for weeks or more, and then suddenly have a wind shift and BAM! They're out of control.

Sounds like the Obama administration.

Exactly, he just "should".

:eusa_whistle:

No "just" about it...

He should..

Why is this a difficult concept for you Bobby?

It's not. I've stated already that I understand the concept behind it, but I realistically know that it serves no practical purpose, that's why people say that he "should" instead of listing what it is exactly that makes it effective.

"No practical purpose"? Perhaps you could tell the class what a governor does for a living.

Remember the stink the left put up when President Bush didn't land in New Orleans after Katrina...:eusa_whistle:

Last edited:
The same people who are criticizing Perry for taking his responsibilities seriously and returning to Texas due to the wildfires are the same ones who criticized Bush for not being immediately on the scene for Hurricane Katrina.

So, perhaps the real solution is for Obama to fly to Texas and usurp local authority.

I love how the loony leftists put a political debate ahead of state responsbilities....:lol:

The same braindead crew who was bitching at Christie for being down in Florida for a noreaster...

TFF....:rofl:

really? REALLY with all the bitching about Obama and Irene you are going to try to pass this poor excuse off?

oh wait its you, of course you are.

I never bitched about 0bama and Irene...

Nice fail, but then again, it's you...

The same people who are criticizing Perry for taking his responsibilities seriously and returning to Texas due to the wildfires are the same ones who criticized Bush for not being immediately on the scene for Hurricane Katrina.

So, perhaps the real solution is for Obama to fly to Texas and usurp local authority.

Send the EPA to force Texas to buy carbon offsets for all the CO2 being released. :rolleyes:

However considering his track record and the "conveniency" that the wildfires suddenly yet again are a major problem just ahead of a major debate... then you can not fault people on both sides of the political spectrum asking these questions.

Add to that... this fact

Spokesman: Gov. Rick Perry Will Not Resign During Presidential Campaign « CBS Dallas / Fort Worth

In 1989, as a state representative, he proposed an amendment to the Texas Constitution “providing for the automatic resignation from office of a person … who becomes a candidate for another elective office.”

then one has to ask..... when will he resign or has he also flip flopped on this issue?

Over the weekend, the Texas Forest Service (TFS) responded to 63 new fires that have burned approximately 32,936 acres, including new fires in Bastrop, Travis, Henderson, Limestone, Caldwell and Colorado counties, among others. TFS also continues to battle existing wildfires, including major fires in Palo Pinto, Briscoe, Coryell and Montague counties.

I'd call that serious, and I don't think anyone with half a brain in his head and any sense of priorities would call it "convenient". What kind of heartless asshole thinks like that?

Additional state resources assisting with wildfire response include:

· Texas Forest Service, with 15 single-engine air tankers, 12 helicopters, and 13 aerial supervision aircraft assets deployed to multiple fires;

· Texas Military Forces, with 2 CH-47 Chinook Aircraft and 2 UH-60 Blackhawks staged in Austin to fight central Texas fires, 2 UH-60 Blackhawks in San Antonio assisting with the fires in Colorado County, and 3 ground wildfire support packages consisting of 4 dozers and 16 personnel each;

· Texas Department of Public Safety emergency management personnel, highway patrol troopers, air assets and a mobile communications center deployed to Bastrop County; and

· Texas Department of Transportation is providing personnel, equipment, and fuel to responders.

Additionally, the Texas Intrastate Fire Mutual Aid System (TIFMAS), a network of Texas fire departments willing to provide emergency resources to neighboring communities during the threat of disaster, is activated. TIFMAS resources deployed statewide include 13 command vehicles, 50 fire engines and 121 personnel (Central Texas resources specifically include five command vehicles, 19 fire engines and 47 personnel).

Since the beginning of wildfire season, local and state firefighters have responded to more than 20,900 fires that have destroyed more than 1,000 homes and burned more than 3.6 million acres. Gov. Perry has reissued his disaster proclamation nine times this wildfire season; it was originally issued on Dec. 21, 2010.

In addition to the state proclamations in April, the governor sent a letter to President Obama requesting a Major Disaster Declaration, which would have made the state eligible for Direct Federal Assistance and Emergency Protective Measures from the federal government. The Obama Administration denied this request on May 3. Gov. Perry appealed the president's decision on May 26, and received partial approval of relief on July 1. A request to expand the scope of federal relief is still pending.

Please tell me who else in the state of Texas has the ability to authorize and coordinate all of that.

But yeah. It's no big deal, and he's probably just ducking the debate because he's afraid of answering questions . . . because running for President is what one does when one doesn't want to answer questions. :slap:

(All quoted information provided by the Office of the Governor of Texas website)

Apparently they believe that the role of governor of an American state is much like that of the figure head of Britain. It's all ceremonial and posh.

Though to the credit of some leftists they have acknowledged that Perry's responsibility as governor during a natural disaster in Texas does in fact trump one of countless GOP debates.

I think under the right circumstances, it trumps ALL of the debates, because if he says, "Y'all take care of this, I gotta go campaign", I don't really give a fuck what else he says from that point.

Damned if you do - Damned if you don't...

Had he gone to the debate, the headline of this thread would have been:

Perry (R) bailing on Texas wildfire victims to attend SC forum/debate

meh...

Yep, remember when they bitched cause Christie didn't go home for a little ole snow storm? bitchin dimwits.

Yep and here was your response:

"whilst obie wan basked in the how r us sunshine. tis a pity, he should have his scrawny, can't throw a baseball ass back here talking those unions into line. meanwhile I think New Jersey cleaned up just fine without Gov. Christie. they don't seem to be the same maniacs they breed over in new yawk."

http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...-bush-christie-who-says-good-job-brownie.html

I guess Texas has "the same maniacs they breed over in new yawk."

WillowTree got spanked :eek: :lol:

Forum List

Back