Perry (R) bailing on S.C. forum/debate

And if he hadn't gone back then people would criticize him for campaigning while his state is burnin
g to the ground. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Are the fires that bad in Texas?

If so, then he probably has to be there. He still is the governor, after all.
SAN ANTONIO | Mon Sep 5, 2011 11:22am EDT

(Reuters) - Sixty separate wildfires, whipped by strong gusts of wind spawned by Tropical Storm Lee as it moved north, burned across Texas on Monday, destroying homes and leaving at least two people dead, authorities said.

The Texas Forest Service said it responded on Sunday to 63 new fires that burned 32,936 acres, including 22 new large fires.

Authorities in Gregg County, in northeast Texas, say a fire there killed a 20 year old woman and her 18 month old daughter, who were trapped in their mobile home by flames.

Officials said the worst of the fires was east of Austin, where the Bastrop County Complex fire stretched for 16 miles. has destroyed more than 20,000 acres, and was zero percent contained.​

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/09/05/us-texas-wildfires-idUSTRE78426D20110905

Last edited:
And if he hadn't gone back then people would criticize him for campaigning while his state is burnin
g to the ground. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

(Reuters) - Sixty separate wildfires, whipped by strong gusts of wind spawned by Tropical Storm Lee as it moved north, burned across Texas on Monday, destroying homes and leaving at least two people dead, authorities said.

The Texas Forest Service said it responded on Sunday to 63 new fires that burned 32,936 acres, including 22 new large fires.

Authorities in Gregg County, in northeast Texas, say a fire there killed a 20 year old woman and her 18 month old daughter, who were trapped in their mobile home by flames.

Officials said the worst of the fires was east of Austin, where the Bastrop County Complex fire stretched for 16 miles. has destroyed more than 20,000 acres, and was zero percent contained.​

And what will Perry do? Grab a water hose, build a backfire, join Bush in cutting brush? Seems to me a leader seeking to be the next POTUS would use the debate as a forum to explain his position on responding to every region of the US from fire, flood and other natural and man-made disasters.

You don't think the people of Texas want their governor here doing his job instead of being in SC at a debate pursuing his campaign? And you wouldn't be criticizing him if he did the debate instead? I think we all know the answer to that one.

Being 20% ahead in the polls in an 8 person race provides for some flexibility.

Being 20% ahead in the polls in an 8 person race provides for some flexibility.

And that's without even debating, or maybe because of it.
EXACTLY ;)
Gallup has Romney up by 2 and Perry tied w/Obama. I wouldn't debate either.
Polls, polls, polls. The guy hasn't participated in one debate :( A good leader delegates authority. He either has confidence in his appointee's abilities or he doesn't.

Is this any surprise really? The fires have been raging for some time now BUT he decides now that he's needed back in the Republic of Texas :rolleyes: He skipped the first debate and now he bails on this one. :clap2: Whats up bruh? I think he KNEW he was going to be asked some tough questions. The Forum was set-up for participants to be individually questioned by three people and he could'nt take the heat apparently ;)

Gov. Rick Perry to Skip Labor Day Forum, Return to Texas to Address Wildfires - Summerville, SC Patch
Perry was scheduled to attend Senator Jim DeMint's forum of Republican presidential contenders in Columbia at 3 p.m.

OMG...how dare Perry return to the state when ONLY 400 people have had their homes DESTROYED OVERNIGHT and 100s more are threatened!

Why isn't he taking Obama's example and playing a round of golf!

The neve of this man........:cuckoo:

Last edited:
I love how the loony leftists put a political debate ahead of state responsbilities....:lol:

The same braindead crew who was bitching at Christie for being down in Florida for a noreaster...

TFF....:rofl:

Last edited:
You don't think the people of Texas want their governor here doing his job instead of being in SC at a debate pursuing his campaign? And you wouldn't be criticizing him if he did the debate instead? I think we all know the answer to that one.

What is he really going to do that firefighters & other personnel aren't already doing. :eusa_eh:

Damned if you do - Damned if you don't...

Had he gone to the debate, the headline of this thread would have been:

Perry (R) bailing on Texas wildfire victims to attend SC forum/debate

meh...

Why? The fires haven't stopped him from campaigning to this point...why should it be a factor now (unless he doesn't want his Texas ass handed to him in a debate)...

The Perry apologists are falling over themselves to defend his SECOND missed debate in a row LOL. AGAIN, what is he going to do that firefighters and other personnel aren't already doing?

meh...

Why? The fires haven't stopped him from campaigning to this point...why should it be a factor now (unless he doesn't want his Texas ass handed to him in a debate)...

This debate was supposed to have more substance in that each candidate was going to be individually questioned by three panelists. That was a close-call for Perry ;)

I love how the loony leftists put a political debate ahead of state responsbilities....:lol:

The same braindead crew who was bitching at Christie for being down in Florida for a noreaster...

TFF....:rofl:

I can be fair about it...I'm sure there are people in the state that feel he should be there, but in the end it's not about his presence actually serving a functional purpose in fighting the fires. Maybe there are Perry supporters that feel the same way and would prefer him to get his message out.

meh...

You probably would have started the thread title I posted...

Just sayin'...

And what will Perry do? Grab a water hose, build a backfire, join Bush in cutting brush? Seems to me a leader seeking to be the next POTUS would use the debate as a forum to explain his position on responding to every region of the US from fire, flood and other natural and man-made disasters.

9967268-standard.jpg

What is he really going to do that firefighters & other personnel aren't already doing. :eusa_eh:

You're right... Politics should come before governing...

What were we thinking....

:lol:

it only took 20 minutes!!

in a curious twist folks who here to fore have defended Obamas being out to do this or that instead of in DC, will now beat up on Perry for doing exactly that, by returning to his capital to attend to the affairs of state, spinning this as an embarrassment or weakness

:lol:

here for ya'll:eusa_drool::eusa_drool::eusa_drool:

grab a tissue or drool cup.

Forum List

Back