Perfect example of Religion Gone Wild

You think you're the one who should decide who is worthy of raising children and who isn't?

Bigotry personified.

As I said before, you are incapable of using logic. Brainwashing is wrong and by forcing the children to learn belief as fact you are brainwashing them. Since I am more capable of using logic than you, yeah, I would say I am more capable of determining who is 'worthy' of raising a child.

You think you're the one who should decide who is worthy of raising children and who isn't?

Bigotry personified.

You're the one that will only approve someone to raise a child if they agree with your fascist views.

You're even worse than bigotry personified, you are the disease form of bigotry. You're a bigoted virus.

You're both liars.

I've never said a word about controlling who raises kids and who doesn't.

And KK....you are really the last person who should be taking any one to task over their inability to apply "logic".

You're both liars.

I've never said a word about controlling who raises kids and who doesn't.

And KK....you are really the last person who should be taking any one to task over their inability to apply "logic".

So then you think that gay couples SHOULD be allowed to adopt.

Yikes. I don't know if religion has gone wild, but the thread has.

Religion gone wild could be a cool topic, actually. I like Sufi dancing.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqhNPY882kE&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
This is quite lovely:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqVBGv2hpQ4&feature=related]YouTube - Rumi: Say I Am You (Sufi poem)[/ame]

I love Rumi....

Here is another....
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z10JD59W1w4&feature=related]YouTube - sufi music[/ame]

This one is Tibetan Buddhist:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ5_kUcHJN0&feature=related]YouTube - River of Light Padmasambhava Monjes Budistas[/ame]

This is one of the prayers I say...

This is a little jazzier:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id18MuREUMc&feature=related]YouTube - "Open up your arms" - Monjes Budistas[/ame]

As I said before, you are incapable of using logic. Brainwashing is wrong and by forcing the children to learn belief as fact you are brainwashing them. Since I am more capable of using logic than you, yeah, I would say I am more capable of determining who is 'worthy' of raising a child.

I think you must be a sick person, Kitten. My next door neighbors have 8 kids, 6 of their own and 2 adopted. They homeschool and go to church. They are the nicest kids and the most wonderful people in the world. They've hosted dozens of Japanese and Korean students. They've been written about in China and Japan.

I'm sure because of their religion you would not think them "worthy" of raising children, but their 2 oldest are already married and working. One of them, with his wife has adopted a crack baby and are fostering 2 more crack babies, which they would adopt if the state would let them. Their 3rd oldest is getting married on the 20th. Yes, their religion is very important to them. And yes, they follow their religion. Heck, I wish I'd done 1/2 as good with my kids as they have with theirs. I tried to raise my oldest to think for himself, now I wish I'd homeschooled him and instilled my religion in him. He's only now discovering just how smart he really is...the public schools did so much damage to him....

I'd rather have my next door neighbors and their kids with their faith than you with your "logic" any day.

I think you must be a sick person, Kitten. My next door neighbors have 8 kids, 6 of their own and 2 adopted. They homeschool and go to church. They are the nicest kids and the most wonderful people in the world. They've hosted dozens of Japanese and Korean students. They've been written about in China and Japan.

I'm sure because of their religion you would not think them "worthy" of raising children, but their 2 oldest are already married and working. One of them, with his wife has adopted a crack baby and are fostering 2 more crack babies, which they would adopt if the state would let them. Their 3rd oldest is getting married on the 20th. Yes, their religion is very important to them. And yes, they follow their religion. Heck, I wish I'd done 1/2 as good with my kids as they have with theirs. I tried to raise my oldest to think for himself, now I wish I'd homeschooled him and instilled my religion in him. He's only now discovering just how smart he really is...the public schools did so much damage to him....

I'd rather have my next door neighbors and their kids with their faith than you with your "logic" any day.

Sheila--

I didn't read Kitten's post as sick at all. I think Kitten Koder has a point.
Some types of religious training are a form of brainwashing. Did you ever see the documentary Jesus Camp?

We have families with children, naturally, in our Buddhist community. The children are not 'forced' to attend anything. They come with their parents, and they are free to sit with their parents in the shrine room during practice and play quietly or they can play as loudly as they like outside. It's very relaxed. No one expects children to behave like adults. The adults in our community model a committment to practice and to being patient, and kind, and skillful toward the children.

Often the children come in and sit with us because it feels peaceful to them. It's not unusual for toddlers to be getting up and waddling about back and forth to their parents.

What generally happens is that as the children move into school and adolescence they still take their own pace with participation. It's the parents that take the heat from the Lama, not the children. Parents are coached about how to work with the children skillfully, by being examples of the teachings by holding our own spiritual practices. At some point, the modeling 'kicks in' naturally, on its own.

I watched a few beautiful children grow into adolescence and adulthood and become strongly compassionate and dedicated dharma students without being strong armed.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only difference between atheists and us who have religions are that atheists just have morals or a lack of morals (each person is different), while we have a justification for our morals or lack of morals (again each person is different). Caring for life is born in, a child will be kind and even generous (to an extent) to anyone, but they learn from their parents who to hate. Hatred or thinking someone is evil is a learned behavior. Children should only be taught religion as a study and not made to follow any belief nor be told any of it is fact because of this.

I've always held the theory that if religion was rated R, almost no one would become religious once they reached 18.

Forum List

Back