Perfect example of Religion Gone Wild

GHook93

Aristotle
Apr 22, 2007
Chicago
The man is a wack job and he used the Christian beliefs to justify his extreme physical and mental abuse of his children!

People love to say child abusers and molesters are godless worshipping atheist. But time and time again these incidents are prepetrated by so-called "god-fearing" religious men of any religion!

FOXNews.com - Prosecutor: Oregon Couple Beat 9 of Their Children With Boards, Pipes and Spoons - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News
SALEM, Ore. — The home of an Oregon couple charged with abusing nine of their children looked like something out of a horror movie, the prosecution said during opening statements of the trial.

Marion County prosecutor Sarah Morris told jurors that the children of Graydon and Robyn Drown were beaten with 2-by-4 boards, metal and plastic pipes, spoons and whips.

The children, who range in age from infant to 16, hadn't seen dentists or doctors and didn't go to school, Morris said.

The children were taken by state welfare authorities after the Drowns were arrested June 19 at their rural home. Each parent faces a 25-count indictment of assault and criminal-mistreatment charges.

The Drowns also have three adult children.

Two attorneys, Chapin Milbank and Stephen A. Lipton, are representing 49-year-old Graydon Drown. Lipton told jurors his client may adhere to religious beliefs outside the mainstream, but believes in what he considers reasonable discipline. He added that evidence would show the children were raised to be polite, well-mannered and respectful.

Robyn Drown's attorney, Brooke Holstedt, tried to separate the actions of the wife and the husband. "(There's) not only nine victims," Holstedt said. "There was another victim, another serious victim — Robyn Kay Drown."

Following the opening statements, an 11-year-old son and a 13-year-old son testified.

The 13-year-old boy said he and his siblings received beatings that would leave bruises or marks, and his happiest time with his family was when his father left to go to California for a week.

The boy said his mother was punished as well, forced at times to stand with her nose against the wall or slapped or hit. When asked by Morris if he loved his parents, the boy replied: "I love my mother."

Holstedt said Graydon Drown believed he was the Messiah and told Robyn Drown that his orders to her came from God. The two were both raised as believers of the Worldwide Church of God and lived in remote parts of Alaska during their marriage before moving to Oregon in 2004.

Holstedt described how Graydon Drown often would recite passages from the Old Testament as arguments for why she should obey him.

"In order for her to survive, she had to submit to ... every order, Holstedt said.

But another witness, Agnes Opgenorth, who attends Temple Beth Sholom, where the family regularly attended, said Robyn Drown did not seem dissatisfied.

"My impression was that she was very happy and proud of her relationship and her family," she said.

They look normal to me:

080624_drowns.jpg

hey, you know.. if some nutter claims that beating the shit out of kids is part of his faith...

The sad thing is that there is a new instance of this every month almost, the media giants are finally getting bored enough to no longer air the stories as widely as they once did.

What this has to do with Christianity I don't know. THere are more sexual predators in the school system than any other area on the planet...and yet we don't see posts which state that teaching creates child molesters and pedophiles.

No, still there are more christian preachers who have been proven to be molesters. In reality the chances of a child being molested in school is still lower than being struck by lightening.

No, there aren't you fucking idiot. I've posted the stats before. YOu want them again? Just because that's what you WANT to be true doesn't make it so.

And in reality, a huge proportion of kids are molested in school.

Shit you're an idiot. I'll drag up the facts again. Meanwhile, make sure you trot off and look up the word "fact" so you know what the hell you're talking about.

No, there aren't you fucking idiot. I've posted the stats before. YOu want them again? Just because that's what you WANT to be true doesn't make it so.

And in reality, a huge proportion of kids are molested in school.

Shit you're an idiot. I'll drag up the facts again. Meanwhile, make sure you trot off and look up the word "fact" so you know what the hell you're talking about.

You posted nothing that proves your idea is correct. But there is proof that the molestation scare is nothing but a scare, just that you ignore the facts anyway so why waste more time on trying to make you see the truth.

Just realized though, it's been almost 4 months since the last priest was found guilty, maybe we got them all finally.

According to a draft report commissioned by the U.S. Department of Education, in compliance with the 2002 "No Child Left Behind" act signed into law by President Bush, between 6 percent and 10 percent of public school children across the country have been sexually abused or harassed by school employees and teachers.

Charol Shakeshaft, the Hofstra University scholar who prepared the report, said the number of abuse cases—which range from unwanted sexual comments to rape—could be much higher.
Sex Abuse by Teachers Said Worse Than Catholic Church

Um ... yeah. One sided ... sure, that's proof. Hell, if I wanted I could find stats from the other side that say all abuse was by preachers, and no, it's not just catholics that have the problem. Not one christian cult has been clean now, there has been at least one preacher from each of the cults (often many more than one) who have been found guilty. Again, you betray the fact that you just don't like real fact.

meanwhile back at the reality ranch...you will find most child molestors are known and trusted friends or members of the family.....as far as the school thing it is very hard to get a student alone in today's schools...most teachers are too defensive to allow themselves any appearances of anything like that...with that said...molestation is not always intercourse but is always inapproiate touching...as far as religion...i do not think the religion makes one a molestor or prevents one from being one....wolves go where the sheep are

The California Commission on Teacher Credentialling recently acknowledged that for the past five years 25 to 30 teachers have been convicted every year of sexual offenses involving minors. Obviously, this number only acknowledges convictions, which are difficult, at best, to obtain. Add to that the number of incidents that go unreported and multiply those numbers times 50 states, and it becomes vividly clear that molestation of students by school employees is neither unusual nor uncommon.
Education Expert - School Expert Witness - Sexual Abuse - School Accident - Child Custody

December 2007 – An estimated 15 percent of U.S. children will experience sexual misconduct perpetrated by a school employee. This professional development installment of The ABCs (Anti-Bias Classroom) provides tools and strategies to help end the abuse.

One out of five girls and nearly one out of 10 boys will be sexually abused by a school employee at some point during their academic careers.
Abusers are almost always men and often are popular among students and other school staff. They're typically teachers or coaches, but can be teacher's aides, bus drivers, volunteers, counselors or principals.
In the past five years, schools have sanctioned at least 2,750 educators for sexual misconduct with minors. Experts say this is just the tip of the iceberg. A majority of sexually abusive educators never get reported, and many who are reported simply get shuffled to another school. Most perpetrators abuse more than one student.
Tolerance.Org: Teaching Tolerance

This from THe Charleston Gazette, Oct. 17, 2005:
"Schools' dirty little secret
*Sexual abuse is main reason teacher licenses are revoked
By the Associated Press

Sexual abuse of students is the No. 1 reason public school teachers have lost their licenses in West Virginia during the past five years, amounting to about 35 percent of all teaching certificates being pulled.

The percentage could be even higher. Another 19 percent lost their licenses because of misconduct with students, but West Virginia Dept. of Education records obtained with a Freedom of Information Act request do not specify if the misconduct was sexual, according to a review by the Associated Press.

Also, since July 1, 2000, the state Board of Risk and Insurance Management has paid $6.9 million to settle 17 claims involving teacher misconduct with students, according to agency records.

Sexual misconduct by teachers remains a dirty little secret in schools across the nation even though nearly one in 10 students will be abused by a teacher before they graduate, according to studies conducted by Dr. Charol Shakeshaft, a professor at Hofstra University in Hempstead, N.Y.

"There are about 4.5 million kids who, right now, would say they have been the target of physical sexual misconduct," Shakeshaft said. "And only about 10 percent of the sexual exploitation going on ever gets reported."

I actually found studies which showed that something like 5 percent of all teachers were actually molesters, but you'd have to do a search of my posts to find it. I think I've pretty much made my point as it stands here, today.

Um ... yeah. One sided ... sure, that's proof. Hell, if I wanted I could find stats from the other side that say all abuse was by preachers, and no, it's not just catholics that have the problem. Not one christian cult has been clean now, there has been at least one preacher from each of the cults (often many more than one) who have been found guilty. Again, you betray the fact that you just don't like real fact.

What other side are you talking about, dimwit? The TEacher Molester's Union?

You really are a moron.

The sad thing is that there is a new instance of this every month almost, the media giants are finally getting bored enough to no longer air the stories as widely as they once did.

child abuse is no longer news unless done in great extremes...its just not news anymore and this is according to the media

child abuse is no longer news unless done in great extremes...its just not news anymore and this is according to the media

Pretty much. As I always say, the media is only interested in ratings, even the news. People have finally lost interest in this subject, but then that's because they blew it so far out of proportion the first time. The sad effect is that now children are not given any real life experiences before they become adults, they are coddled and over protected, and yet in even more danger of predators because of it. Parents still have this 'boogy-man' idea of a predator while in reality predators have to work in close to their victims, thus they often befriend the parents first and show little interest in the children until after gaining the trust of the parents, thus why the preacher position is so appealing to them, however counselors and doctors could appeal to them more if they didn't need so much schooling (I guess there is one good thing to requiring degrees that I forget). The preacher position though they just need to be charismatic enough to get people to listen and trust them, often they are taken care of during their 'training', some don't ever even go through training (depending on which cult). Then the examples like the OP, if they can't get an established church to follow them they either start their own family or they start a super fanatical cult (like Wacko). Also the parents these days are too focused on only the sexual abuse and neglect physical or psychological abuse, which is really sad because these children grow up just as broken as the sexual abuse victims.

Exactly. It's like saying clowns are evil because Gacy liked to dress up as a clown.

Forum List

Back