Perfect example of Religion Gone Wild

He lives in Alaska, believes he's the Messiah, and beats his kids.

I wonder if he says Merry Christmas.

If they attend a church called Bethh something or other and quote the Old Testament are they Christians?

Exactly. It's like saying clowns are evil because Gacy liked to dress up as a clown.

I can't believe you actually posted logic for once, the sad thing is that you don't use it enough. But at least this one time you posted logic though it does nothing to support the 'statistics' you posted, in reality it just makes them less believable. Again read that post, the priest station in life is one of the most appealing to the predators because it is so easy to get the followers to trust and even obey them. This creates the perfect chance for them to get away with something then have it buried, the biggest problem with 'blind faith.' ALWAYS question authority, no matter what that authority is. The reason why many molesters are preachers is because no one questions them.

Possibly. But it isn't being Christian that led them to be monsters. Anymore than eating Big Macs led Dahmer to cannibalism.

I can't believe you actually posted logic for once, the sad thing is that you don't use it enough. But at least this one time you posted logic though it does nothing to support the 'statistics' you posted, in reality it just makes them less believable. Again read that post, the priest station in life is one of the most appealing to the predators because it is so easy to get the followers to trust and even obey them. This creates the perfect chance for them to get away with something then have it buried, the biggest problem with 'blind faith.' ALWAYS question authority, no matter what that authority is. The reason why many molesters are preachers is because no one questions them.

But when I said teachers were a much bigger threat, you denied it.

So on the one hand you agree..yet on the other you disagree. When you understand logic, and fact, come back and we'll have a real discussion.

What does religion have to do with this? These people are just plain evil.

Not a whole lot. These people could just as easily be representative of white people, people from Alaska, people with funny name like Graydon Drown as they are of Christians. If he didn't have religion to use for controlling his family he would have used something else.

Religion only factors in when you consider that religious beliefs can often hinder people from seeking medical help for mental disease or from understanding that mental illness is not the work of the devil and cannot be cured by prayer or exorcism or other religious falderol.

Where does that come from? YOu have evidence, of course, that Christians are less likely to seek help for mental illness or are more likely to think it's the work of the devil than atheists are to see it just as evidence of their own enlightenment, and the rest of the world just hasn't caught up?

Gosh, I've found something that shows that atheists are less likely to be mentally sound than those who believe in God.

Go figure.

In regards to data that relates to mental health and atheism, in December of 2003, the University of Warwick reported the following:

“ Dr. Stephen Joseph, from the University of Warwick, said: "Religious people seem to have a greater purpose in life, which is why they are happier. Looking at the research evidence, it seems that those who celebrate the Christian meaning of Christmas are on the whole likely to be happier.[4] ”

Currently, there is an ongoing debate on whether atheism was a causal factor for Friedrich Nietzsche's insanity or whether it was caused purely through disease.Duke University has established the Center for Spirituality, Theology and Health.[5] The Duke University Center for Spirituality, Theology and Health is based in the Center for Aging at Duke and gives opportunities for scholarly trans-disciplinary conversation and the development of collaborative research projects.[6] In regards to the atheism and mental and physical health, the center offers many studies which suggest that theism is more beneficial than atheism.[7]
Atheism and Mental and Physical Health - Conservapedia
There are studies which indicate that atheism is a causal factor for suicides.

Sigmund Freud's View of Religion Discredited
Psychologist Sigmund Freud was a proponent of atheism who argued that theism was detrimental to mental health.[15] Oxford Professor Alister McGrath, author of the book The Twilight of Atheism, stated the following regarding Freud:

“ One of the most important criticisms that Sigmund Freud directed against religion was that it encourages unhealthy and dysfunctional outlooks on life. Having dismissed religion as an illusion, Freud went on to argue that it is a negative factor in personal development. At times, Freud's influence has been such that the elimination of a person's religious beliefs has been seen as a precondition for mental health.
Freud is now a fallen idol, the fall having been all the heavier for its postponement. There is now growing awareness of the importance of spirituality in health care, both as a positive factor in relation to well-being and as an issue to which patients have a right. The "Spirituality and Healing in Medicine" conference sponsored by Harvard Medical School in 1998 brought reports that 86 percent of Americans as a whole, 99 percent of family physicians, and 94 percent of HMO professionals believe that prayer, meditation, and other spiritual and religious practices exercise a major positive role within the healing process

But when I said teachers were a much bigger threat, you denied it.

So on the one hand you agree..yet on the other you disagree. When you understand logic, and fact, come back and we'll have a real discussion.

Teachers are not a bigger threat for many reasons already stated, I repeat my logic, there is still too much work required to become a teacher but far less to become a preacher. However the teachings are part of the problem, many christians are taught not to question the preacher at a young age, this is the allure to the abusers. The children fear 'going to hell' so much that they will hide any abuse done by the preacher just because of that fear, so yes, the teachings do open the gates for the abusers wide open. However, one thing your statistics never show is the 'whole story,' which I am a BIG fan of the big picture. Based on the number of preachers to the number of teachers, the percentage comes to a higher chance of the preacher being an abuser than a teacher. Now just for conjecture I will pull a few numbers out of my ass because I need to take off soon to demonstrate this calculation. In a typical city there are about 1,000 teachers, let's say that 60 of them are abusers. Then there are maybe 10 preachers (the ratio is more important than the exact numbers), then let's say that only 6 of them are abusers, a very small number compared to the number of teachers. However, that makes only 6% of the teachers (thus a 6% chance) and 60% of the preachers (thus a 60% chance). Now, do you see the way the logic works? So thus a majority of preachers will be abuser while still only a minority of the teachers, since one preacher handles more followers than most teachers handle students the position of preacher becomes even more appealing. Again though, this is only possible as long as the children are scared, which they are more scared of their preacher 'sending them to hell' for tattling than they are for the teacher because they are taught hell is eternal. THAT is the sickness that many of us cannot stand with the teachings, it teaches fear and complacency, opening the doors to abuse, and many of us victims will only remember that one fact when someone mentions the religious idea.

Possibly. But it isn't being Christian that led them to be monsters. Anymore than eating Big Macs led Dahmer to cannibalism.

Really? In addition to this incident in Alaska, there is one over in New Mexico right now where yet another "Christian" claimed that HE was the Messiah. He forced his followers to give him all their money, they lived in a little place called Strong Ranch or some stuff, and he molested 2 girls. Said something about God wanting him to have sex with them.

He also predicted the end of the world in 2007.

There is one over here in Texas that was accused of child molestation in Austin.

There is another one over around Dallas.

Need me to name more? All these cases are current, and, all of them claim to be Christian.

And......FWIW Allie, I was sexually abused as a child from 5 until 12. Was it the teachers that did it? One tried, but that was at Catholic school, so didn't count.

The rest were members of my own family. Wanna try laying those stats about teachers down again?

Where does that come from? YOu have evidence, of course, that Christians are less likely to seek help for mental illness or are more likely to think it's the work of the devil than atheists are to see it just as evidence of their own enlightenment, and the rest of the world just hasn't caught up?

Hey Religious Whack Job, read my post. I said religion not Christians. Or maybe you are saying my statement is true of all other religions except Christianity?

If Graydon Drown was a Jew or a Muslim or a Buddhist or an Atheist you'd be chanting a different mantra.

Hey Religious Whack Job, read my post. I said religion not Christians. Or maybe you are saying my statement is true of all other religions except Christianity?

If Graydon Drown was a Jew or a Muslim or a Buddhist or an Atheist you'd be chanting a different mantra.

Well let's compare Islam to Christianity.

In Islam, women who are mentally ill are tied up, beaten, and eventually killed, warehoused, or put on the street.

So in that case, I'd say yes, they are under-treated for mental illness.

Not the case for Christians, not according to anything I can find on the web, at any rate.

Don't you remember, anytime someone says 'religion' they are ALWAYS talking about christians, they are after all the only victims now. :eusa_whistle:

Side note, I am not atheist but I do agree with you. Many (probably most) religions are stupid in that respect.

Neither of which has any bearing on the fact that more atheists suffer from mental illness than Christians.

Don't you remember, anytime someone says 'religion' they are ALWAYS talking about christians, they are after all the only victims now. :eusa_whistle:

Side note, I am not atheist but I do agree with you. Many (probably most) religions are stupid in that respect.

I wonder if Allie recognizes Christian Scientists as Christians. :lol:
Religions can get in the way of good mental health. You really have to of sound mind to be able to handle it otherwise best to keep away, IMO.

Babble, I haven't read all your ravings...but if you can lump all Muslims together, why can't we lump all Christians together?

Good question. But if he thinks he's the Messiah, what else could he be?

Was Jesus a Christian?

Nope.....Yeshua (Jesus) was a good Jewish boy. He was crucified shortly after Passover, and the reason that He was there, was to celebrate it.

Kinda bugs me whenever the Catholic church celebrates Easter before Passover ya know? What? How can you rise from the dead before you're dead?

Forum List

Back