Peaceful Protesters Arrested in Russia...Not a Peep From Conservatives

From the Piece..:

MOSCOW (AP) — Protesters took to the streets in Moscow, St. Petersburg and across Russia on Friday to decry the invasion of Ukraine, even as authorities sought to suppress the spreading antiwar sentiment and project an image of strength and righteousness.

The largest demonstration erupted in St. Petersburg, where several hundred people spontaneously gathered in the city center, chanting “No to war!” as police in full riot gear detained one protester after another.

The OVD-Info rights group that tracks political arrests counted 437 detentions in 26 Russian cities, including 226 in Moscow and 130 in St. Petersburg. In Moscow, police were also detaining random people who were just passing by, according to media reports.

The rallies on Friday night appeared smaller than on Thursday, when thousands took to the streets across Russia. A total of 1,820 demonstrators were detained in 58 Russian cities on Thursday night, including 1,002 in Moscow, according to OVD-Info.

===

I guess when you're enaomored with the brutal dictator that invades other nations...you don't care so much about peaceful demonstrators being arrested all of the sudden. It was like 10 days ago that the conservatives styled themselves as the hero of the oppressed, champions of free speech and giving voice to the downtrodden. What happened to you guys?
I had a thread about a protest against COVID restrictions in a region of Russia where some people got several years in jail. I don't remember anyone taking their side.

But there are a few conservatives on here who don't support Putin.

Hard to say who's a real conservative and who's a Russian troll sometimes.

Forum List

Back