[PC] In defense of Political Correctness

Political Correctness VS Freedom of Speech?

I vote for Freedom of Speech! Pull up your big boy pants and take it like a man!
He already does...he should just pull up his pants.

So, can you actually say anything to address the topic?

It's a pretty good bit on what PC really is, in a sense. Not a government-mandated faux morality but rather an internal mandate. An acknowledgement that just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Difficult concept for some.
If you are saying this as a mod then please put in red, in not then mind your own business and read the thread.

If I were saying it as a mod, it would be in red dude.

Otherwise. No. Who are you tell me what I can or can't respond to?

OP spent time writing a pretty thoughtful post. You, not so much.

Free speech comes with a certain responsibility. And no - I don't agree with any ideas that the government should legislate things so we're all forced to be nicey nicey and yes, PC runs amuck sometimes as in the Christmas issue - but the OP brought up some pretty good points. And all you did was post about something crass.

I'm a big fan of political correctness. Yes, I'm serious. I'm not being ironic, or sarcastic. It's a vital tool for maintaining a healthy, free society. It's a personal, moral responsibility

Political correctness is a valid way to express our values as a society. The vast bulk of our interactions with others aren't dictated by laws; they are informed by the unwritten mores and preferences that we all hold to one degree or another. For the most part, we moderate our behavior because we care how others will see us and how we will see ourselves - not because we are afraid of going go jail. Most of us understand that if our neighbors think we're assholes, they won't want to associate with us. And most of us don't want to be alienated. Political correctness is what "polices" social behavior beyond issues of law.

It's also a responsibility. If I run a media outlet - a newspaper, let's say - I have a responsibility to myself and my readers to refrain from printing articles advocating ideas that I, or my readers, find morally repugnant. The first amendment gives me the right to print whatever I want. But if I abuse that right, I risk losing the respect of those who think I'm out of line. No one should ever face censure from government for speaking their mind, but they can, and should, be held accountable by their community.

Political correctness is an important outlet, especially when we're working through controversial issues, because it allows us to tolerate values that we disagree with - without accepting them. We can't arrest someone who insists on using racial slurs, but we can sure as hell let them know that we don't approve - and avoid them if they persist. We can't arrest someone who refuses to treat women as equals, but we can fire him, or refuse to patronize his business.

Political correctness is really just a rebranding of the ancient societal practice of 'shunning'. It isn't legally binding, and never should be. It's people standing up for their values in a free society. Deal with it.
Hmmm.... sounds like homogenization of beliefs if you ask me. I'm more a fan of the conflict and confusion process where diversity of thought leads to objective truth.

I vote for Freedom of Speech! Pull up your big boy pants and take it like a man!

It's a pretty good bit on what PC really is, in a sense. Not a government-mandated faux morality but rather an internal mandate. An acknowledgement that just because you can doesn't mean you should.

If you are saying this as a mod then please put in red, in not then mind your own business and read the thread.

Free speech comes with a certain responsibility. And no - I don't agree with any ideas that the government should legislate things so we're all forced to be nicey nicey and yes, PC runs amuck sometimes as in the Christmas issue - but the OP brought up some pretty good points. And all you did was post about something crass.
Up yours, Coyote, I already told you I do not want to discuss anything with you. That can be said with no PC control, with PC control you would be busting my balls in PM under the guise of a "higher authority" and some vague act I committed.

Don't kid yourselves .Righties have their own PC .

Colin Capernick ring a bell?

Up yours, Coyote, I already told you I do not want to discuss anything with you. That can be said with no PC control, with PC control you would be busting my balls in PM under the guise of a "higher authority" and some vague act I committed.

What the hell is your problem dude? You've chosen many times respond to my posts, and you're now saying I can't respond to yours? I don't PM you. I don't moderate you. I leave that to other mods. If I'm speaking as a moderator it WILL be in red and anything I do is completely transparent to the team. Got a problem? Take it up via PM. You know how the system works. And this part IS in red.

I'm a big fan of political correctness. Yes, I'm serious. I'm not being ironic, or sarcastic. It's a vital tool for maintaining a healthy, free society.

Political correctness is a valid way to express... values as a society.
. Deal with it.

You know...Adoph Hitler had his version of political correctness. I guess it all depends on what "political" means in the phrase. Gay butt sex masquerading as "mom and dad", forced on the 50 states by judicial fiat is your version of political and "correct". So is forcing schools to let boys use girls showers by executive fiat.

So...I disagree that it is "vital". Though your use of the word "tool" is VERY accurate in the case of the cult of LGBT... Yeah...just remove the words "vital", "healthy", "free" & "valid" from the quote above and it pretty much sums it up.

Here's Hitler's version:

I'm a big fan of political correctness. Yes, I'm serious. I'm not being ironic, or sarcastic. It's a .. tool for maintaining a... society.

Political correctness is a..way to express... values as a society.
. Deal with it.

At one point in time I may have agreed with the OP's idea. Right up until the left decided to start calling me a racist, sexist, bitch every time I said /anything/ they disagreed with. When they chose to abuse that respect and politeness they destroy the entire foundation of such ideas. No, I'm not going to bother trying to be "polite" anymore, the left has turned into a bunch of totalitarian asshats.

Don't kid yourselves .Righties have their own PC .

Colin Capernick ring a bell?

He's been getting his bell rung pretty regular this year...the 49ers are woeful. It's delicious

Ya know he has like the top selling jersey ?

Fuel....and sadly you're wrong once again

12 NFL players with the highest-selling jerseys in 2016

5 NFL Players With the Highest-Selling Jerseys in 2016

One of your articles is from early Sept. before the story caught fire .

NFL.com currently has him at 24 . I did look it up at his peak a couple months agoand it was 1-2 .

Top Selling NFL Player Jerseys on NFLShop.com

Ps. I wouldn't put it past the NFL to fix the numbers .

At one point in time I may have agreed with the OP's idea. Right up until the left decided to start calling me a racist, sexist, bitch every time I said /anything/ they disagreed with. When they chose to abuse that respect and politeness they destroy the entire foundation of such ideas. No, I'm not going to bother trying to be "polite" anymore, the left has turned into a bunch of totalitarian asshats.

Anyone who uses PC as a means to shut another up have "turned into a bunch of totalitarian asshats"

Absolutely, in a civil society its members do not need regulation, laws or threats to contour speech.

Last edited:

You are not called a racist or a sexist for disagreeing with people. You are clearly very sensitive and need a safe space.

Forum List

Back