[PC] In defense of Political Correctness

dblack

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
I'm a big fan of political correctness. Yes, I'm serious. I'm not being ironic, or sarcastic. It's a vital tool for maintaining a healthy, free society. It's a personal, moral responsibility

Political correctness is a valid way to express our values as a society. The vast bulk of our interactions with others aren't dictated by laws; they are informed by the unwritten mores and preferences that we all hold to one degree or another. For the most part, we moderate our behavior because we care how others will see us and how we will see ourselves - not because we are afraid of going go jail. Most of us understand that if our neighbors think we're assholes, they won't want to associate with us. And most of us don't want to be alienated. Political correctness is what "polices" social behavior beyond issues of law.

It's also a responsibility. If I run a media outlet - a newspaper, let's say - I have a responsibility to myself and my readers to refrain from printing articles advocating ideas that I, or my readers, find morally repugnant. The first amendment gives me the right to print whatever I want. But if I abuse that right, I risk losing the respect of those who think I'm out of line. No one should ever face censure from government for speaking their mind, but they can, and should, be held accountable by their community.

Political correctness is an important outlet, especially when we're working through controversial issues, because it allows us to tolerate values that we disagree with - without accepting them. We can't arrest someone who insists on using racial slurs, but we can sure as hell let them know that we don't approve - and avoid them if they persist. We can't arrest someone who refuses to treat women as equals, but we can fire him, or refuse to patronize his business.

Political correctness is really just a rebranding of the ancient societal practice of 'shunning'. It isn't legally binding, and never should be. It's people standing up for their values in a free society. Deal with it.

Political Correctness VS Freedom of Speech?

I vote for Freedom of Speech! Pull up your big boy pants and take it like a man!

Political correctness is a valid way to express our values as a society

It is tyranny with manners.
It squelches the expression of anything and anybody whose opinions are not shared by the oppressor. One of the most envied rights Americans have is the right to dissent, to speak our mind without fear of retaliation, to voice our opinion and not be restricted. There is a forgotten saying that was attached to such lofty individualism. " I disagree with what you say, but will fight to the death for your right to say it." These are the things that come to mind when I hear, "Let's make America great again."

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of political correctness. Yes, I'm serious. I'm not being ironic, or sarcastic. It's a vital tool for maintaining a healthy, free society. It's a personal, moral responsibility

Political correctness is a valid way to express our values as a society. The vast bulk of our interactions with others aren't dictated by laws; they are informed by the unwritten mores and preferences that we all hold to one degree or another. For the most part, we moderate our behavior because we care how others will see us and how we will see ourselves - not because we are afraid of going go jail. Most of us understand that if our neighbors think we're assholes, they won't want to associate with us. And most of us don't want to be alienated. Political correctness is what "polices" social behavior beyond issues of law.

It's also a responsibility. If I run a media outlet - a newspaper, let's say - I have a responsibility to myself and my readers to refrain from printing articles advocating ideas that I, or my readers, find morally repugnant. The first amendment gives me the right to print whatever I want. But if I abuse that right, I risk losing the respect of those who think I'm out of line. No one should ever face censure from government for speaking their mind, but they can, and should, be held accountable by their community.

Political correctness is an important outlet, especially when we're working through controversial issues, because it allows us to tolerate values that we disagree with - without accepting them. We can't arrest someone who insists on using racial slurs, but we can sure as hell let them know that we don't approve - and avoid them if they persist. We can't arrest someone who refuses to treat women as equals, but we can fire him, or refuse to patronize his business.

Political correctness is really just a rebranding of the ancient societal practice of 'shunning'. It isn't legally binding, and never should be. It's people standing up for their values in a free society. Deal with it.
But it is legally binding. Anyone who has ever hired staff can tell you that...

But it is legally binding. Anyone who has ever hired staff can tell you that...

Sometimes. And that's where it's wrong.

I think you're confusing common sense with political correctness, which are polar opposites.

I think you're confusing common sense with political correctness, which are polar opposites.

How so?

Damn...that's a really good bit of writing. Never thought of it in that way before.

I vote for Freedom of Speech! Pull up your big boy pants and take it like a man!
He already does...he should just pull up his pants.

PC is nonsense. I have to contour my CHRISTMAS music when I perform and call it holiday music so I do not offend the errant listener. who may not want to hear Jingle fucking Bells

How so?

Common sense if being mindful of what you say, PC tries to dictate what's acceptable to say.

So, can you actually say anything to address the topic?

It's a pretty good bit on what PC really is, in a sense. Not a government-mandated faux morality but rather an internal mandate. An acknowledgement that just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Difficult concept for some.

PC is nonsense. I have to contour my CHRISTMAS music when I perform and call it holiday music so I do not offend the errant listener. who may not want to hear Jingle fucking Bells

They tell you to do that? If so, then maybe they ought to examine their own intolerance.

So, can you actually say anything to address the topic?

It's a pretty good bit on what PC really is, in a sense. Not a government-mandated faux morality but rather an internal mandate. An acknowledgement that just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Difficult concept for some.
If you are saying this as a mod then please put in red, in not then mind your own business and read the thread.

Forum List

Back