PC Games

Discussion in 'Computers' started by IsaacNewton, Jan 11, 2018.

1. IsaacNewton

IsaacNewton Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,149
    Salutations and Excalibur.

I am looking for one or two new PC games to waste time on. Please don't post more than two thank you.

A strategy game that is Expert to Grognard in difficulty. I've had War In The Pacific for ten years and the depth in that is what I'm looking for. Something to play a turn or two each day. I like the detail. WITP: Admiral's Edition is also 9 years old so am looking for something new. I have Civil War II and Cities Skylines. MEH. Men of War Assault Squad 2 is great but also getting dated and have played through enough mods.

Also looking for a First Person Shooter like Far Cry 3-4. Open world, good story, a lot of depth and replay. FC3 and FC4 were great fun. The new Tomb Raiders were also very good. Call of Duty seems too scripted now. I think open world gaming is where it's at. I still have fun driving around FC3 crashing pirate roadblocks and having chases and firefights and using a bow long distance, and having to correct for arrow fall is good stuff.

I've searched Uplay, Origin, Steam, Ubisoft and other sites but the offerings are also MEH. FC5 is due out in 2 months so will have to check that out. If they have just repackaged FC3 and FC4, with the same sounds and upgrade trees but made to look different I'll wait a year and get it for $7.99 on sale. I hate it when developers get lazy and just put out something that 'looks' new just to milk money out of the old engine.

I have to say FC3 ruined things for many games to me, that one is so much fun it's hard to go back to more scripted games like COD or BField.

Any suggestions?

2. frigidweirdo

frigidweirdo Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,472
    The best strategy game is Civilization. I've got 6 at the moment, 5 is also really good. If you've player Far Cry 4 your computer will easily be able to play both of those.

First person shooters like Fry Cry, well, nothing comes as good as Far Cry 3, but maybe you could consider Grand Theft Auto. I like it, not as much as Far Cry 3, I'm playing Far Cry 4 at the moment and have Grand Theft Auto 5 waiting to play after I finish that, might be in a year.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. BlackFlag

BlackFlag I haz hoisted it!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,115
    Witcher 3 could be the best game ever made

4. Bleipriester

Bleipriester Freedom!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,562
    Strategy: Galactic Civilizations III (look out for the dlcs)
    FC 5 is coming.

5. Moonglow

Moonglow BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +50,742
    I've not found to many games that interest me in years....

6. IsaacNewton

IsaacNewton Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,149
    I haven't played any of the Civ games, they look good I will check Youtube for Civ 5 and 6 gameplay. I'm not much into Assassin's Creed or Witcher though both look very well done. I have Galactic Civs 3 and after playing 3-4 hours it doesn't have enough depth for my taste. Again it isn't a bad game by any stretch. Waiting to see if FC5 is just a re-skinned clone of FC3 and 4.

Red Dead Redemption was very good and RDR 2 that is due out this year looks great as well but no pc! WTH is that!? Uncharted 4, The Last Of Us, a new game called Days Gone all very good but not ported to pc which I frigin hate as I only run games on PC.

I'd like to see a war game with modern graphics but open world like FC3 and 4. I, probably like others, used to play almost any game that came out the last 25 years or so but as you get older I find it has to be very well done or I don't want to waste my time on it. I really love the flightsim games like IL2 and it's variations as well as FSX (waiting on a successor which likely won't arrive. Time to go to X-Plane or Pr3pared I guess).

Thanks for the replies.

7. MaryL

MaryL Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,689
    Grim Fandango on STEAM. Manny is so cute...

8. Bleipriester

Bleipriester Freedom!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,562
    Not war but zombie epidemic is Dying Light. There´s a big open world and you start with table-legs ect as weapons but you´ll get your first firearms soon. There are skill-trees to unlock and the graphics are quite good.

9. HaShev

HaShev Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,985
    Game:Risk
    Good for wasting an hour or so but there's also a certain mode that longates the game if you need to waste 2 hours or so.

Game:Unreal Tournament
    Capture the Flag mode can waste an hour or so, more at difficult levels, but motion sickness can kick in with all the jumpy movement. Great AI in those series makes it challenging and keeps you drawn in.

10. IsaacNewton

IsaacNewton Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,149
    Risk is too simple these days. I played the hell out of that game long ago as a board game.
    Fandango, isn't that a really old release? Also a bit too art-house for me. Very cool to look at.
    Dying Light looks good as far as graphics and gameplay go. I tried I Am Alive a whilte back but the mechanics in the game didn't work well. This is why Far Cry 3 and after have made it tough for new titles. If the mechanics of the game don't work well it's like going backwards. FC3 and 4 the mechanics are fluid and work great. I'm not a real zombie fan but if done well I can live with it. Dead Island the mechanics were also a little clunky. No go. I'll check for a demo of Dying Light.

As I said I've grown rather picky about what to spend time on these days, probably to my own detriment, but I absolutely refuse to play a game where you have to repeat something over and over because the game mechanics aren't well done. Also why I like open world games now, it is open world!

Thanks again for the suggestions.

• Agree Agree x 1