PC Games

I prefer realistic military strategy, action bores me.
And my go to place is Matrix games. Plethora of choices and always patching improvements.

Operational Art of War 4
War in the Pacific
Bombing the Reich
Harpoon
War in the East/West
Command Series

The new versions of Tomb Raider are great, I was skeptical at first but the 2013 reboot with a young Lara shipwrecked on an island is very well done. Rise of the Tomb Raider a couple years ago is also very good though I think think the previous was better.

Far Cry 5 is due out in a week or two, will have to see if they just reskinned the previous versions.

I just bought the Tomb Raider reboot a few days ago, it was finally cheap enough for me. :p I probably won't start it for a while, because I have so many games to play. I'm playing the first Dead Space at the moment, it was free through Origin. Steam may be the biggest game launching app, but I also use Origin, Uplay, and GOG, and all sometimes offer free games.

I also use Uplay, Origin and the others. I'll check Youtube for gameplay of the genre I like and try to find something of quality. My game choices are so narrow now that I haven't found anything I like in 6+ months that is new. Hoping FC5 breaks the streak.

I enjoy plenty of different games, finding ones I like isn't a problem for me. My problem is deciding which of the many games I have to play next. :lol:

The new versions of Tomb Raider are great, I was skeptical at first but the 2013 reboot with a young Lara shipwrecked on an island is very well done. Rise of the Tomb Raider a couple years ago is also very good though I think think the previous was better.

Far Cry 5 is due out in a week or two, will have to see if they just reskinned the previous versions.

I just bought the Tomb Raider reboot a few days ago, it was finally cheap enough for me. :p I probably won't start it for a while, because I have so many games to play. I'm playing the first Dead Space at the moment, it was free through Origin. Steam may be the biggest game launching app, but I also use Origin, Uplay, and GOG, and all sometimes offer free games.

I also use Uplay, Origin and the others. I'll check Youtube for gameplay of the genre I like and try to find something of quality. My game choices are so narrow now that I haven't found anything I like in 6+ months that is new. Hoping FC5 breaks the streak.

I enjoy plenty of different games, finding ones I like isn't a problem for me. My problem is deciding which of the many games I have to play next. :lol:
Unlike me who does have a problem finding games I like. I loved Blitzkrieg, Ultimate General: Gettysburg and Men of War Assault Squad I and II but really don't like the strategy games where the board is made up of hexagons. I like a lot of FPS as long as it's not overly complicated or too difficult, I typically don't play for the challenge, mostly it's simply a kill pixels stress reliever event for me.........

Last edited:

Unlike me who does have a problem finding games I like. I loved Blitzkrieg, Ultimate General: Gettysburg and Men of War Assault Squad I and II but really don't like the strategy games where the board is made up of hexagons. I like a lot of FPS as long as it's not overly complicated or too difficult, I typically don't play for the challenge, mostly it's simply a kill pixels stress reliever event for me.........

No hexagons? But that leaves out Master of Monsters! :p

There was a 4x space game that came out about twenty years ago called Stars! that was epic. The AI didn't cheat and the game was still great to play. They were in development of it's successor but had some issue with Empire if I remember correctly. It is the only game I've played where the AI had to follow the same rules as the human user and it couldn't cheat. The paper manual for this game was an inch thick!

Haven't seen similar since.

There was a 4x space game that came out about twenty years ago called Stars! that was epic. The AI didn't cheat and the game was still great to play. They were in development of it's successor but had some issue with Empire if I remember correctly. It is the only game I've played where the AI had to follow the same rules as the human user and it couldn't cheat. The paper manual for this game was an inch thick!

yes --the old PC game manuals and boxes were great/big!
I think Falcon 4.0 was one of the largest
I remember MicroSoft Flight Sim had a big one
they went out of style fast--just a few years....??
What Are The Best Game Manuals?

falconman.jpg

falconman.jpg

Back when intelligence was needed to play a pc game. Look at that manual. You knew you got your money's worth by how long it took to learn the game! Even the game Sim Ant had a huge manual. Many of today's games, even though they put the manual on disc or even lazier you have to go to a website to view it, just have a simple click this type manual. This is one of the things that keeps me from playing a number of games today, you can't even learn how the game works with the manual they provide!

falconman.jpg

Back when intelligence was needed to play a pc game. Look at that manual. You knew you got your money's worth by how long it took to learn the game! Even the game Sim Ant had a huge manual. Many of today's games, even though they put the manual on disc or even lazier you have to go to a website to view it, just have a simple click this type manual. This is one of the things that keeps me from playing a number of games today, you can't even learn how the game works with the manual they provide!
yes--I didn't need any manual for the many FPS games
even FC1 and 2 were ''easy''
2 of my favorite games were Mafia and Call of Juarez 1 and 2--no manual needed
...but as I've stated on the Eve Online game-it takes a lot of time to learn
I have to go to many videos just to learn the basics
they have many books on how to play it!!
they have an Eve University that has online classes in class form
there are numerous lists/calculators/fitting lists/etc for Eve
https://www.amazon.com/EVE-Source-CCP-Games/dp/1616552719&tag=ff0d01-20

this flight sim looks good...graphics are great
DCS world......but can you play as a tanker in the Normandy 1944??
WWII, Vietnam, Gulf War and others. As examples of products progressing to completion for DCS, "Normandy 1944" is in final phase of development and "Persian Gulf" is close behind..
Digital Combat Simulator World

Any of you peeps playing in VR?
no--but I'd like to

I was surprised. I picked up a PSVR that was mis-priced at target. Thought I'd just give it to my kids if I didn't like it. They're not getting it. :)
one of the members here told me to get PC VR
you can do more than games and the controls are better

I know the quality is better. Just costs a lot more.

I had to kind of ease into it. Racing games are a good place to start, because sitting in a vehicle that is moving is a common point of reference for most of us. But first person shooters and RPGs can be a bit disorienting - even to the point of nausea. The tricky bit is that your brain is getting all these visual signals that you're moving around in the "world", but there aren't the usual g-forces accompanying the movement.

I remember MicroSoft Flight Sim had a big one

falconman.jpg
I remember Super Eurofighter 2000. Its manual was also giant and it had almost a threefold keyboard layout.
Red Baron II had also a large manual but it was mostly history background, plane characteristics and explained aerial maneuvers. Worth reading.

Last edited:
what about ARMA 3 multiplayer? many different vehicles/weapons
..Eve Online is the ultimate open world/sandbox game--but it's a space game--high learning curve...it takes months just to be a rookie
Does Eve Online have a story mode?
it has some basic missions, then advanced missions from level 1 -4
it has a long ''story'' mission based level called Sisters of Eve/Blood Stained Stars
The Blood-Stained Stars - UniWiki
Missions - UniWiki

what about ARMA 3 multiplayer? many different vehicles/weapons
..Eve Online is the ultimate open world/sandbox game--but it's a space game--high learning curve...it takes months just to be a rookie
Does Eve Online have a story mode?
it has some basic missions, then advanced missions from level 1 -4
it has a long ''story'' mission based level called Sisters of Eve/Blood Stained Stars
The Blood-Stained Stars - UniWiki
Missions - UniWiki
It sounds a lot like GW2. If I ever get tired of the current game I am into, I think I will give it a look see.

GW2 is a lot like novels and books though, it is constantly coming out with new, "seasons" like a TV show or serial novels, every month for players to experience. The story continually builds on past story, I am way behind.

They seem to increase in complexity and difficulty, which is fine for younger players, but I seem to need to actually do the crafting and other things which the game has available to improve my character, much in the same way I am sure your game has upgrades available for your ship.

And like your game, there is a free market where players buy and sell things. Something for everyone.

Far Cry 5 came out on March 27th and I picked it up a few days ago. First off the graphics are ridiculous (on the good side). The map is huge and you wander around Montana hills, valleys, mountains etc... You can fish and it's quite enjoyable. References to preppers . The story is good, but if you are offended by the slightest outtake on Christianity it isn't for you. The game is about a religious cult in Montana that likes guns to say the least. I won't post up any spoilers.

I like the Far Cry games for the free roam game-play and the huge highly detailed landscapes and atmosphere. I use stealth whenever possible and the compound bow is my weapon of choice. And you have to account for arrow drop on long shots. A ton of other weapons available of course. It's really cool though just wandering around in the world. It sounds like it should, animals act like they should. I'm surprised not all games have gone to open world free roam by now.

this flight sim looks good...graphics are great
DCS world......but can you play as a tanker in the Normandy 1944??
WWII, Vietnam, Gulf War and others. As examples of products progressing to completion for DCS, "Normandy 1944" is in final phase of development and "Persian Gulf" is close behind..
Digital Combat Simulator World
DCS has great graphics.

Forum List

Back