PBS' "God In America"

WTF? I "ran away"?

http://www.usmessageboard.com/the-flame-zone/135461-all-of-you-islamophobic-zomg-teh-sharia-law-is-coming-to-get-you-bedwetters.html

http://www.usmessageboard.com/current-events/136931-more-islamaphobia.html

http://www.usmessageboard.com/law-and-justice-system/136729-the-usa-of-hate.html

If none of these threads suit you, Revere, start your own. Just please do not hijack this one.

Christ onna cracker...I "ran away"......I need more patience today to cope with USMB....

Revere is not hijacking, he/she is engaging in a time-honored tactics of those incapable of debate, baiting with red herrings, posting foolish 'inferences' and suggesting those with whom they disagree are engaging in the tactics they themselves employ, ad nauseum.

Who did the "baiting" about "Islamophobia" in this thread?

I don't know, I get board when threads go sideways. That aside, you were accused of hijacking the thread, I simply pointed out that is a time-honored tactic of a certain population. If you're not a member of the echo chamber, stay on point, make rational comments and substantive claims.

Sunni Man, did you type this tongue-in-cheek?

*Hopeful look*
Evolution is just a "theory" and not a fact.

Even scientists refer to it as the Theory of Evolution. :doubt:

O dear.....why why why are so many religions determined to set themselves against science?

O well, I live with many others who believe as you do, Sunni Man. What's a few more?

I still say the series is worth watching. I dunno if the writers dealt with Islamophobia or not; the second part has not yet aired.

Revere is not hijacking, he/she is engaging in a time-honored tactics of those incapable of debate, baiting with red herrings, posting foolish 'inferences' and suggesting those with whom they disagree are engaging in the tactics they themselves employ, ad nauseum.

I don't know, I get board when threads go sideways. That aside, you were accused of hijacking the thread, I simply pointed out that is a time-honored tactic of a certain population. If you're not a member of the echo chamber, stay on point, make rational comments and substantive claims.

Here you go. Page one. She made the point. I responded to it.

Some people will never admit to being wrong.
Many of those tend to be right wing.

I don't know why, just the way it is.

Hey Madeline, I just checked the channel guide where I'm at, and part 2 is going to deal with post industrial revolution and Billy Graham.

I think I may skip my normal watching to check it out tonight. It comes on here at 8 pm CST.

How odd...what about 1800 to 1900, ABS? I wonder if I have messed up the program guide. I dun think so...weird.

Anyways, thankies for the reminder.

O dear.....why why why are so many religions determined to set themselves against science?

O well, I live with many others who believe as you do, Sunni Man. What's a few more?

I still say the series is worth watching. I dunno if the writers dealt with Islamophobia or not; the second part has not yet aired.

For fuck's sake, Revere...stop whining and go make another mofo thread about Muslims already.

Hey Madeline, I just checked the channel guide where I'm at, and part 2 is going to deal with post industrial revolution and Billy Graham.

I think I may skip my normal watching to check it out tonight. It comes on here at 8 pm CST.

How odd...what about 1800 to 1900, ABS? I wonder if I have messed up the program guide. I dun think so...weird.

Last night dealt with the Civil War, the Scopes trial, the ecclesiastical splits in Judaism and Protestantism.

Last night dealt with the Civil War, the Scopes trial, the ecclesiastical splits in Judaism and Protestantism.

Shit, I missed an episode then. Dagnabit.

Was it good?

Here's a link to Part Two, guys.....

http://video.pbs.org/video/1610731418

Last edited:
Is this another thread where we can poke at Christians but not Muslims?

See, I do know how they end.

How is it poking fun at christians?

It is a historical documentary.
Kinda like Play acting history by dressing up and playing a Nazi?

Was it good?
The Civil War portion was really interesting. Southerners were more convinced than Northerners that theirs was a righteous cause. They (the Southerners) actually tried to use the Bible to justify slavery. I understand why. In the face of such evil, putting a veneer of God over it made it seem almost palatable.

The Scopes trial showed how dogmatic Fundamentalists wanted to hijack science and force a Bronze Age idea onto a community who marveled at scientific achievement. Funny, but they're still trying it! Only those without a firm intellect seem to be buying their ignorance. I just hope folks keep their individual intellects vigorous enough to keep ignorance at bay.

I took away a different point. I inferred her comment re fear of Islam was simply a passing reference, possible related to a debate on a different thread. I did not see it as baiting, then again I don't fear Islam, well, anymore than I fear all organized religions. But that's for another thread.

Some people will never admit to being wrong.
Many of those tend to be right wing.

I don't know why, just the way it is.

Yup. Not all, but many - at least on this board. Then there's rdean. But I don't really want to conjure him. :lol:

Who is this clown chumming up a perfectly good thread anyway? Never mind - different topic, not the place for it. Bad me! :redface:

"There will be no peace until there is peace among the religions."
Hans Kung

"Nor will there be peace in America. While most Americans believe in God and regard themselves as spiritual people, my own feeling is millions of them are abandoning organized religion precisely because, instead of embracing and cultivating the diversity that is America, the major religions want to homogenize everyone and everything. It is this that causes division, even human destruction. What is supposed to bring sanity to this world is itself the cause of most insanity. It is madness."
Dr. Stephen Prothero

Something I've thought for many years but never able to put into words, i.e., more harm and hate is done in the name of God then in any other human endeavor.

Was it good?
The Civil War portion was really interesting. Southerners were more convinced than Northerners that theirs was a righteous cause. They (the Southerners) actually tried to use the Bible to justify slavery. I understand why. In the face of such evil, putting a veneer of God over it made it seem almost palatable.

The Scopes trial showed how dogmatic Fundamentalists wanted to hijack science and force a Bronze Age idea onto a community who marveled at scientific achievement. Funny, but they're still trying it! Only those without a firm intellect seem to be buying their ignorance. I just hope folks keep their individual intellects vigorous enough to keep ignorance at bay.

I can understand not wanting to admit owning other people was about economics, having God on your side would make it much more palatable, and something to get passionate about. But how exactly did they go about justifying slavery with the Bible, by example or using specific verses?

I'm listening to Part Two now...I prolly will have to replay it. But did you guys know there was a time in the US that a person needed a license to preach, and those that did not have one were subject to arrest? Apparently the greatest source of tension remained Protestant vs Catholic.

Seems positively antiquated, eh?

001406.jpg

Was it good?

I can understand not wanting to admit owning other people was about economics, having God on your side would make it much more palatable, and something to get passionate about. But how exactly did they go about justifying slavery with the Bible, by example or using specific verses?
Both. From the New and Old Testaments. Verses and passages along with historical precedent. Anything they could use to justify their position, they used.

Both. From the New and Old Testaments. Verses and passages along with historical precedent. Anything they could use to justify their position, they used.

It seems jarring today, doesn't it? And yet for those who were a product of the time and immersed in it, I guess it was normal. Funny to think how far we've come in such a relatively short time.

Forum List

Back