PBS' "God In America"

Now where were we?

I do have one criticism of the show. The first part apparently ends around 1800 or so, and yet it never deals with Jews or any other non-christians in America, and says nothing about the religions African slaves would have brought with them. A bit too ego-centric for me in that regard.

I didn't see the whole thing, so I can't really comment on what wasn't in it. But you bring up an interesting point. Did it deal with Native American religions at all?

No, not really. There was discussion about the extreme measures used to forcibly convert Native peoples to Catholicism in the 17th Century, but nothing after that -- certainly nothing about the depth and breath of Native religions.

I do have one criticism of the show. The first part apparently ends around 1800 or so, and yet it never deals with Jews or any other non-christians in America, and says nothing about the religions African slaves would have brought with them. A bit too ego-centric for me in that regard.

I didn't see the whole thing, so I can't really comment on what wasn't in it. But you bring up an interesting point. Did it deal with Native American religions at all?

No, not really. There was discussion about the extreme measures used to forcibly convert Native peoples to Catholicism in the 17th Century, but nothing after that -- certainly nothing about the depth and breath of Native religions.

Like Muslims do now?

How medieval.

It would be interesting if they had taken a look at the Native and African religions in particular and followed the influences they've had on American Christianity - the concepts adapted and adopted, and the attitudes developed against them that became part of the standard theology. But maybe that's too much material to cover in one little series.

Have you seen Part One? What did you think?

If you missed it, here's a link....

God in America: One: A New Adam | FRONTLINE | PBS Video

I learned quite a bit, myself. I never realized there was so much dissention over an "official state religion" for the US, or that some states actually had adopted one. I also did not realize that anti-Catholic bias was an impetus for the creation of a system of public schools.

I thought the episode I watched was balanced and well-researched; I am looking forward to Episode Two.

Your thoughts?

I knew that stuff. That's why it always amuses me when people try to tell me that the First Amendment was about our Founding Generation's "fear of religion". It was really just to keep the federal government from interfering with the several states' religions.

Very insightful about the Spanish Catholics subjugation and cultural genocide of Native Americans in the 17th Century. Apparently, the story of religion in America is the story of conflict and imposing one's will on one's fellow man.

Mad, the story of humanity is the story of conflict and imposing one's will on one's fellow man. Haven't you noticed that by now? Religious people don't have a monopoly on that particular bit of human nature.

Very insightful about the Spanish Catholics subjugation and cultural genocide of Native Americans in the 17th Century. Apparently, the story of religion in America is the story of conflict and imposing one's will on one's fellow man.

Mad, the story of humanity is the story of conflict and imposing one's will on one's fellow man. Haven't you noticed that by now? Religious people don't have a monopoly on that particular bit of human nature.

Well, the civilized religions pretty much stopped that centuries ago.

Then there is Islam.

My eighth grade history text spoke of the US as if it was founded on a principle of religious freedom, Cecilie. I guess I was surprised at how different the "back story" actually was.

But hey, I do agree about bickering. Entirely human behavior.

Then there is Islam.

Oh, WILL you get off of the Muslim obsession for two minutes, please? This is not the place for that.

Then there is Islam.

Oh, WILL you get off of the Muslim obsession for two minutes, please? This is not the place for that.

Is it a place for Christian obsession?

My eighth grade history text spoke of the US as if it was founded on a principle of religious freedom, Cecilie. I guess I was surprised at how different the "back story" actually was.

The US IS founded on a principle of religious freedom. You do realize that there's a difference between principle and reality, don't you? Just because something is the ideal you're striving for doesn't mean you're achieving it. Also, it sounds like a lot of what they're talking about took place before the founding of the US, or even any real organizing of the colonies.

Just keep in mind that the violence and depredations were hardly one-way. The North American aborigines were just as inclined to human nature as the Europeans were.

No other country on the planet offers more religious freedom than the US.

The US IS founded on a principle of religious freedom. You do realize that there's a difference between principle and reality, don't you? Just because something is the ideal you're striving for doesn't mean you're achieving it. Also, it sounds like a lot of what they're talking about took place before the founding of the US, or even any real organizing of the colonies.

Just keep in mind that the violence and depredations were hardly one-way. The North American aborigines were just as inclined to human nature as the Europeans were.

Yes, I agree...about half the episode or more contemplates the time before the Revolutionary War.

No other country on the planet offers more religious freedom than the US.

O, I dun know. Canada prolly does. Mebbe the UK, if you overlook their aggression against the Irish Catholics. I ♥ the US, Revere, but I am not blind to its faults nor to the accomplishments of other nations.

Hey Madeline, I just checked the channel guide where I'm at, and part 2 is going to deal with post industrial revolution and Billy Graham.

I think I may skip my normal watching to check it out tonight. It comes on here at 8 pm CST.

I wasn't aware you were such a fan of mine that you read my posts but did not dare to comment, Revere. You're certainly welcome to -- feel free to join any of the free-for-all threads where Islam is under discussion. There must be dozens on USMB by now.

THIS thread is about a history tv show which deals with religion in America. If THIS thread bores you snotless, please feel free to stop posting to it.

No, you called out Islamophobia, though the show hadn't dealt with it yet.

I asked you to define it.

You ran away.

WTF? I "ran away"?

http://www.usmessageboard.com/the-flame-zone/135461-all-of-you-islamophobic-zomg-teh-sharia-law-is-coming-to-get-you-bedwetters.html

http://www.usmessageboard.com/current-events/136931-more-islamaphobia.html

http://www.usmessageboard.com/law-and-justice-system/136729-the-usa-of-hate.html

If none of these threads suit you, Revere, start your own. Just please do not hijack this one.

Christ onna cracker...I "ran away"......I need more patience today to cope with USMB....

Revere is not hijacking, he/she is engaging in a time-honored tactics of those incapable of debate, baiting with red herrings, posting foolish 'inferences' and suggesting those with whom they disagree are engaging in the tactics they themselves employ, ad nauseum.

I have been watching God in America. It is fascinating television. Thanks to PBS for airing it. If the choice of airing a documentary series like God in America or something about guys catching crabs in Alaska, the private market will always opt for the fishermen, not the enlightening programs.

What the most illuminating theme of God in America seems to be is freedom loving people came to America to worship as they please. Leaders of this community got tied up in dogmatic practices and....freedom loving people split away from that community.

Even in last evenings episode, the freedom loving people wanted to be free to interpret God's word for themselves. Leaders were tied up with dogmatic practices and....freedom loving people split away from that community.

And what were those dogmatic practices outlined last night? Whether or not to take each word of the Bible literally or open the Bible to personal interpretation. Methodists, Presbyterians, Baptists and Jews all had the same debate. And in each case, orthodoxy was left by the roadside.

The evolution debate illustrates this very well. Whether or not a literal interpretation of the Bible is even possible given the contradictions therein.

I can't for the life of me understand why Fundamentalists who abjectly fear and loathe science want to take science education into their ecclesiastical province. There is no science in Fundamentalism. Why would you want to teach it?

No, you called out Islamophobia, though the show hadn't dealt with it yet.

I asked you to define it.

You ran away.

WTF? I "ran away"?

http://www.usmessageboard.com/the-flame-zone/135461-all-of-you-islamophobic-zomg-teh-sharia-law-is-coming-to-get-you-bedwetters.html

http://www.usmessageboard.com/current-events/136931-more-islamaphobia.html

http://www.usmessageboard.com/law-and-justice-system/136729-the-usa-of-hate.html

If none of these threads suit you, Revere, start your own. Just please do not hijack this one.

Christ onna cracker...I "ran away"......I need more patience today to cope with USMB....

Revere is not hijacking, he/she is engaging in a time-honored tactics of those incapable of debate, baiting with red herrings, posting foolish 'inferences' and suggesting those with whom they disagree are engaging in the tactics they themselves employ, ad nauseum.

Who did the "baiting" about "Islamophobia" in this thread?

Forum List

Back