PBS' "God In America"

No, not really. There was discussion about the extreme measures used to forcibly convert Native peoples to Catholicism in the 17th Century, but nothing after that -- certainly nothing about the depth and breath of Native religions.

It will be interesting if later episodes deal with the hysterical reaction to the Plains Indians' Ghost Dance.

Why? What happened?

Yanno what else was odd? Nothing about Asian immigrants' religions, nor about the Hawaiian people's.

I guess as it is, it's worth watching but it certainly is incomplete. Not really typical PBS quality in that regard.

Well, the show is titled "God in America", not "Religion in America", so it might just be that those things aren't within their topic focus.

It will be interesting if later episodes deal with the hysterical reaction to the Plains Indians' Ghost Dance.

Why? What happened?

Yanno what else was odd? Nothing about Asian immigrants' religions, nor about the Hawaiian people's.

I guess as it is, it's worth watching but it certainly is incomplete. Not really typical PBS quality in that regard.

Well, the show is titled "God in America", not "Religion in America", so it might just be that those things aren't within their topic focus.

Fair enough.

Behe's theories are well known and old hat; they dont hold water. The flagelum argument is all he has and it has been rejected by normal scientists, all he is left with is his religious beliefs which are leading his scientific rational into a cul-de-sac. He doesn't address the tons of fossils or have a replacement theory for Darwinian evolution.

IMO religious people should stick to their fairy stories and not attempt to dip their toes in the waters of scientific reality :eusa_whistle:

No, not really. There was discussion about the extreme measures used to forcibly convert Native peoples to Catholicism in the 17th Century, but nothing after that -- certainly nothing about the depth and breath of Native religions.

Why? What happened?

I doubt they could make it complete in the amount of time allotted, Maddy. When you think about the huge amount of information involved it would end up a six-month long series instead of a few nights. Which is probably why they focused on Christianity almost exclusively. Maybe they'll do one or more follow ups on other if people ask for them?

I'm listening to Part Two now...I prolly will have to replay it. But did you guys know there was a time in the US that a person needed a license to preach, and those that did not have one were subject to arrest? Apparently the greatest source of tension remained Protestant vs Catholic.

Seems positively antiquated, eh?

001406.jpg

Wow! That looks like some modern lists of all the terrorist attacks perpetuated by Muslims.

Evolution is just a "theory" and not a fact.

Even scientists refer to it as the Theory of Evolution. :doubt:

Gravity is also just a theory.

What is it about gravity that you leftists think is a theory?

Gravity IS JUST A THEORY, and it has nothing to do with me being a leftist, which I'm not, or what I think, because that is irrevelant. This is a known fact within the scientific community:

"A theory is simply the most elaborate form of consistent scientific knowledge not yet disproved by experiment. In experimental sciences, a theory can never be "proved", it can only be "disproved" by experiment. The rules within a theory are called "laws."

Gravity is well known to be still just a theory, while they are laws operating within that theory. A theory by no means describes how concrete or verifiable something is. The same is with Evolution. There has been NO EVIDENCE to suggest any other theory is empirically plausible, while there is an overwhelming body of evidence for the theory of evolution. All you creationists do is look at holes in the body of evidence that we have for evolution, of which there are bound to be many since we are collecting clues that are millions and billions of years old, and weren't exactly kept in saran wrap. That creationists discredit so much hard work and all the years of training these scientists do in order to get some information at painstaking costs, I think is disrespectful, egotistical, and selfish, not that it really matters as far as the theory goes, but that you taint it as being some conspiracy is ridiculous. These scientists have a real passion for finding truth and do it out of love for the scientific process which is an entirely rational one, and creationists always try to attach some evil agenda to it, and it's despicable. I'm not saying that's you, but some do.

Last edited:

Just because we as humans, given the information we now have, can not explain the arrival of the flagellum using evolution, doesn't mean at all that it wasn't brought about by evolution. We didn't understand a lot of things about this universe that were once just far away theory, such as black holes. Black holes were completely theoretical objects, and have now been found. Why is it that in this one instance of the flagellum, it now all of a sudden must be God because we haven't found an answer in science? It doesn't make sense. Something sinister is going on. It's because your faith is contingent upon the creation story being true, word for word, so you must falsify other competing explanations so that your own beliefs can serve you as you'd like them to, in order that the world makes sense, and there is absolutely no uncertainty, anywhere. It's like a child dude. Grow up, and accept uncertainty. It is, I am certain, a pyschological rigidity that drives this kind of thinking. An inability to grow up and face the world as it truly is: full of grey area. Not just black and white. Not just true, or untrue, but everywhere inbetween, a concept fundamentalists simply can not stomach without their reality falling apart. It is sad, and weak. God certainly wouldn't want that. He would want us to be strong, and to look for truth, work for it, as opposed to relying on some stories to tell us, and to give up when we find something of 'irreducible complexity.' Isn't it more fun to look for the answer than to simply have it handed to you? Do you really think that's how the universe works? When something is that easy, something is not right.

Last edited:
It's still like that today, just look at the creationists who want to impose their beliefs on all the school children.[/QUOTE]

That's not true at all. It's a pity party. Creationist couldn't care less if you, and your ilk, rot in hell.

Hey!!! That could be a new atheist campaign slogan! "Evil Creationist Don't Even Care if we Rot in Hell"

~El Marco

Have you seen Part One? What did you think?

If you missed it, here's a link....

God in America: One: A New Adam | FRONTLINE | PBS Video

I learned quite a bit, myself. I never realized there was so much dissention over an "official state religion" for the US, or that some states actually had adopted one. I also did not realize that anti-Catholic bias was an impetus for the creation of a system of public schools.

I thought the episode I watched was balanced and well-researched; I am looking forward to Episode Two.

Your thoughts?

I knew that stuff. That's why it always amuses me when people try to tell me that the First Amendment was about our Founding Generation's "fear of religion". It was really just to keep the federal government from interfering with the several states' religions.

I haven't seen the video but what exactly have they said to support that?

Evolution is just a "theory" and not a fact.

Even scientists refer to it as the Theory of Evolution. :doubt:

O dear.....why why why are so many religions determined to set themselves against science?

O well, I live with many others who believe as you do, Sunni Man. What's a few more?

I still say the series is worth watching. I dunno if the writers dealt with Islamophobia or not; the second part has not yet aired.

Since when is evolution proven science?

It isn't. It is only a conjecture that has more problems than you could imagine.... Ah well... that is neither here nor there and is not likely a topic appropriate for this thread.

Very insightful about the Spanish Catholics subjugation and cultural genocide of Native Americans in the 17th Century. Apparently, the story of religion in America is the story of conflict and imposing one's will on one's fellow man.

It's still like that today, just look at the creationists who want to impose their beliefs on all the school children.

I know. How dare them want to teach science.

Very insightful about the Spanish Catholics subjugation and cultural genocide of Native Americans in the 17th Century. Apparently, the story of religion in America is the story of conflict and imposing one's will on one's fellow man.

It's still like that today, just look at the creationists who want to impose their beliefs on all the school children.

I know. How dare them want to teach science.

Since when is creationism science? You mean they can prove that shit with science? Didn't know that, please explain, it sounds interesting. :popcorn:

Forum List

Back