PBS' "God In America"

LOL, saying that "but in fact evolution is proven to a very great extent"

Is like saying, "the woman was pregnant to a very great extent". :lol:

It's either a fact or a theory. The woman is either pregnant or not. There is no in between.

No, evolution has not ever been proven at all.

Google, Ph'D's against Evolution.

And you will find that there a plenty of scientists who don't believe in the nonsense theory of evolution. :eusa_angel:

Your analogy is nonsense sm, science is never simple and evolution is one of the most robust scientific explanations there is.

as I say no serious scientist denies the fact of evolution - there is no serious challenge to the fact of evolution except by religious people whose understanding of evolution is extremely flakey...

I googled 'Ph'D's against Evolution' - so far I found a climatologist, a religious phd, a mathematician, a biochemist: most of their objections are religious based, none of these have alternative theories which are presented by them for peer review, i.e. they haven't any grounds for denying evolution.

Last edited:
Considering that you think being gay is a choice Sunnidiot, well..........

It's understandable as to why you think evolution is a myth.

Kudos on your ability to reason like a crazy loon.

I can fight for your rights to practice your religion more effectively if you tone down your hatred for gays and scientists, Sunni Man.

Just sayin'.....
Gays are wonderful folks and a enhancement to society. :eusa_angel:

There's no need to be sarcastic. But surely you can be a faithful Muslim without actively spreading hatred for GLBT people?
Who's being sarcastic? :confused:

Plus, I really have nothing against scientist or science. :cool:

I think Sunnidiot took too many of 1 medication, and not enough of the other.

He sort of makes sense, but he keeps drifting in and out.

The Civil War portion was really interesting. Southerners were more convinced than Northerners that theirs was a righteous cause. They (the Southerners) actually tried to use the Bible to justify slavery. I understand why. In the face of such evil, putting a veneer of God over it made it seem almost palatable.

The Scopes trial showed how dogmatic Fundamentalists wanted to hijack science and force a Bronze Age idea onto a community who marveled at scientific achievement. Funny, but they're still trying it! Only those without a firm intellect seem to be buying their ignorance. I just hope folks keep their individual intellects vigorous enough to keep ignorance at bay.

I can understand not wanting to admit owning other people was about economics, having God on your side would make it much more palatable, and something to get passionate about. But how exactly did they go about justifying slavery with the Bible, by example or using specific verses?
Both. From the New and Old Testaments. Verses and passages along with historical precedent. Anything they could use to justify their position, they used.

I don't know how much it was "justifying", in a sense of "I know it's wrong, but I want to do it anyway." I realize that, from a modern standpoint, the evils of slavery are painfully obvious, but it's necessary to realize that, until the push in Western civilization - primarily the British Empire and the United States - to abolish slavery (and by the way, it was the Christians who spearheaded both campaigns), no one in the history of humanity had ever really given it any thought at all. It was accepted as simply part of the way things were. What's remarkable about US history is not that we owned slaves, but that we were able to think outside the box and apply morality in new ways such to decide slavery was evil and abolish it at all.

I will be some right wing head exploded tonight if they watched the show.

Who put in god we trust on our money when?

I can understand not wanting to admit owning other people was about economics, having God on your side would make it much more palatable, and something to get passionate about. But how exactly did they go about justifying slavery with the Bible, by example or using specific verses?
Both. From the New and Old Testaments. Verses and passages along with historical precedent. Anything they could use to justify their position, they used.

I don't know how much it was "justifying", in a sense of "I know it's wrong, but I want to do it anyway." I realize that, from a modern standpoint, the evils of slavery are painfully obvious, but it's necessary to realize that, until the push in Western civilization - primarily the British Empire and the United States - to abolish slavery (and by the way, it was the Christians who spearheaded both campaigns), no one in the history of humanity had ever really given it any thought at all. It was accepted as simply part of the way things were. What's remarkable about US history is not that we owned slaves, but that we were able to think outside the box and apply morality in new ways such to decide slavery was evil and abolish it at all.

There are some Underground Railroad spots near Cleveland, and there were many in New York as well. Astounding courage, those people had. The Abolitionists and the runaway slaves both....one fine chapter in human history, that is.

I want to know if Americans are Islamophobic if they reject the misogyny and intolerance of Islam.

Then start your own motherfucking thread and ASK. Now get on-topic or get the fuck off this thread, Revere. I'm not feeling well and you are chapping my ass with this bullshit.

If he goes off topic, just don't engage. We've learned that is best when dealing with teenage mentalities.

I do have one criticism of the show. The first part apparently ends around 1800 or so, and yet it never deals with Jews or any other non-christians in America, and says nothing about the religions African slaves would have brought with them. A bit too ego-centric for me in that regard.

I didn't see the whole thing, so I can't really comment on what wasn't in it. But you bring up an interesting point. Did it deal with Native American religions at all?

No, not really. There was discussion about the extreme measures used to forcibly convert Native peoples to Catholicism in the 17th Century, but nothing after that -- certainly nothing about the depth and breath of Native religions.

It will be interesting if later episodes deal with the hysterical reaction to the Plains Indians' Ghost Dance.

I didn't see the whole thing, so I can't really comment on what wasn't in it. But you bring up an interesting point. Did it deal with Native American religions at all?

No, not really. There was discussion about the extreme measures used to forcibly convert Native peoples to Catholicism in the 17th Century, but nothing after that -- certainly nothing about the depth and breath of Native religions.

It will be interesting if later episodes deal with the hysterical reaction to the Plains Indians' Ghost Dance.

Why? What happened?

Yanno what else was odd? Nothing about Asian immigrants' religions, nor about the Hawaiian people's.

I guess as it is, it's worth watching but it certainly is incomplete. Not really typical PBS quality in that regard.

It is difficult to get on Cecilie's right side, uscitizen, and she seems to be coping okay.

Just sayin'......

I'm not watching the show, but I am aware of the history of the motto, and fail to see why it should bother me.

It is difficult to get on Cecilie's right side, uscitizen, and she seems to be coping okay.

Just sayin'......

I'm not watching the show, but I am aware of the history of the motto, and fail to see why it should bother me.

Some people need a santized version of history, especially as to religion. For them we'll have PIXAR do up an anime.

Forum List

Back