Paul Ryan loves Ayn Rand

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
Ryan is a total Ayn Rand fanboy:

"I just want to speak to you a little bit about Ayn Rand and what she meant to me in my life and [in] the fight we’re engaged here in Congress. I grew up on Ayn Rand, that’s what I tell people."
"I grew up reading Ayn Rand and it taught me quite a bit about who I am and what my value systems are, and what my beliefs are."
"It’s inspired me so much that it’s required reading in my office for all my interns and my staff. We start with Atlas Shrugged. People tell me I need to start with The Fountainhead then go to Atlas Shrugged [laughter]. There’s a big debate about that. We go to Fountainhead, but then we move on, and we require Mises and Hayek as well."
"But the reason I got involved in public service, by and large, if I had to credit one thinker, one person, it would be Ayn Rand."
"And when you look at the twentieth-century experiment with collectivism—that Ayn Rand, more than anybody else, did such a good job of articulating the pitfalls of statism and collectivism—you can’t find another thinker or writer who did a better job of describing and laying out the moral case for capitalism than Ayn Rand."
"It’s so important that we go back to our roots to look at Ayn Rand’s vision, her writings, to see what our girding, under-grounding [sic] principles are."
"Because there is no better place to find the moral case for capitalism and individualism than through Ayn Rand’s writings and works."

Audio Surfaces of Paul Ryan's Effusive Love of Ayn Rand - Politics - The Atlantic Wire

Ryan has all the compassion of someone who has never dealt with illness and disability, cared for an elderly parent or grandparent, or watched an older person struggle to make ends meet. He's smug in his little Washington bubble, knowing he has healthcare and won't ever have to worry about choosing between buying groceries or taking a child to the doctor.

Good luck winning over the middle class and older Americans!

7f6182ba-3c0d-4055-8554-95cd1c157055.jpg

"I just want to speak to you a little bit about Ayn Rand and what she meant to me in my life and [in] the fight we’re engaged here in Congress. I grew up on Ayn Rand, that’s what I tell people."
"I grew up reading Ayn Rand and it taught me quite a bit about who I am and what my value systems are, and what my beliefs are."
"It’s inspired me so much that it’s required reading in my office for all my interns and my staff. We start with Atlas Shrugged. People tell me I need to start with The Fountainhead then go to Atlas Shrugged [laughter]. There’s a big debate about that. We go to Fountainhead, but then we move on, and we require Mises and Hayek as well."
"But the reason I got involved in public service, by and large, if I had to credit one thinker, one person, it would be Ayn Rand."
"And when you look at the twentieth-century experiment with collectivism—that Ayn Rand, more than anybody else, did such a good job of articulating the pitfalls of statism and collectivism—you can’t find another thinker or writer who did a better job of describing and laying out the moral case for capitalism than Ayn Rand."
"It’s so important that we go back to our roots to look at Ayn Rand’s vision, her writings, to see what our girding, under-grounding [sic] principles are."
"Because there is no better place to find the moral case for capitalism and individualism than through Ayn Rand’s writings and works."

Audio Surfaces of Paul Ryan's Effusive Love of Ayn Rand - Politics - The Atlantic Wire

Don't worry Ryan now rejects Rand (apparently she isn't the Jeremiah Wright he thought she was).

Wisconsin Congressman Paul Ryan (R-WI), the man who would turn Medicare into a voucher plan that would leave the nation’s seniors to fend for themselves in their old age, can’t seem to make up his mind when it comes to his philosophical underpinnings.

It was in 2005 that Rep. Ryan, while speaking at a Washington gathering to honor author and libertarian philosopher Ayn Rand, shared the news of Ms. Rand’s impact on his life and career. “The reason I got involved in public service, by and large, if I had to credit one thinker, one person, it would be Ayn Rand.”

Ayn Rand, of course, was the Russian-American moral philosopher and confirmed atheist who viewed government compassion and assistance for the poor as evil and destructive. She is considered by the Cato Institute as one of the founders of American Libertarianism.

Apparently, Paul Ryan’s recent scrape with the Catholic Church—which has taken extreme issue with Ryan’s plan to disproportionately beat up on the poor by cutting food stamps and other programs for the needy while claiming that his budget is rooted in Catholic beliefs—has caused the congressman to take a crack at at some revisionist history. Indeed, one might think that Ryan got a few tips on the topic while hanging out with Mitt Romney during the GOP presumptive nominee’s recent swing through Wisconsin.

In an interview in this week’s National Review, Ryan changed his tune on Ayn Rand– if not his budget that is the very embodiment of Rand’s morality and political perspective.

"I reject her philosophy. It’s an atheist philosophy. It reduces human interactions down to mere contracts and it is antithetical to my worldview. If somebody is going to try to paste a person’s view on epistemology to me, then give me Thomas Aquinas, who believed that man needs divine help in the pursuit of knowledge. Don’t give me Ayn Rand."

Apparently, Ryan will be removing himself from his own Christmas list this year.

Can you say?

glitter-graphics-flip-flops-424016.gif

Ryan has all the compassion of someone who has never dealt with illness and disability, cared for an elderly parent or grandparent, or watched an older person struggle to make ends meet. He's smug in his little Washington bubble, knowing he has healthcare and won't ever have to worry about choosing between buying groceries or taking a child to the doctor.

Good luck winning over the middle class and older Americans!

This is one of the big reasons I won't vote republican this year due to the republican controlled Congress and a likely rubber stamp in Mitt Romney.

"The Warmth and Kindness of a Cobra"

This is just my read, but when I see Romney, what comes across to me is thinly veiled hostility.

This is someone who is used to getting his way. He does not respond well when he doesn’t. He’s the boss who says that he values your input, but if you contradict him or his goals he will not hesitate to fire you or (better yet) see to it that you get fired. There is a coldness, a calculation about him. He is a man of action, a man who will do what needs to be done. If what needs to be done involves hiding a few bodies, he will find the most effective way to do so.

The façade of good humor, bonhomie and “man of the people” is a paper mask. The eyes looking out of it have all of the warmth and kindness of a cobra.

You’re absolutely right the women are creeped out by him. This isn’t the serial rapist or dangerous drunken frat boy. He’s the guy who would dismiss your thoughts and opinions and remove your autonomy under the guise of loving you. He’s the guy who would tell you, “Trust me. I know what I’m doing. Don’t worry your pretty little head about this,” and mean it.

More: Tuesdays with Moron: Chatological Humor Update - The Washington Post

Now, Romney has selected another cobra.

Yes, he’s clearly a reactionary conservative ideologue.

Ryan is only "saying" he rejects Ayn Rand. I'm sure he still loves her deeply.

Of course he's only saying it for political expediency which makes him even more of a louse!:mad: I don't think people will be convinced however and It will be great fodder for the dems!:clap2:

There isn't a better 'start' than Rand, though he never said it was the end. My guess is he has good words for Milton Friedman too.

Forum List

Back