Passion of the Christ: Most Beautiful Love Story of all time

What did YOU think of the Passion of the Christ?

• Amazing movie, loved it

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Did not understand it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hated it

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Mel should have won an emmy, Hollywood stinks

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Waiting for the next Gibson movie like it

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Jen,

You are a beautiful person, and you and I, among fortunately most people in my life are truly blessed with your sort of wisdom.

The intensity of this movie deals with sacrifice at a time where capital punishment was rarely arbitrated before imposed. There are people historically, and in our lifetime that have come close to this, to the benefit of countless people. This sort of blind faith is perhaps the only thing that has ensured our existence as decent, loving people. That has endured as the only true obsticle to our self-destruction. No matter who is running the show, the truth always prevails, and those who make a mockery of faith, are simply subjecting themselves and their lives with their own ignorance, selfishness and self-empowered shallow existence.

Anne Marie

Wow Anne Marie, thanks! But usually when people think that highly of me they regret it in a few days when they get to know me better, so.........lol, just lettin ya know now, you're probably going to be disappointed in your assessment of me (biting lip) countdown...10, 9, 8

seriously though, thanks for the encouragement. I bet you're a blessing to have as a close friend in real life, encouraging others is a gift God gave some when I wasn't looking and I'm always in awe of those who have it! Bless you!

HA! yea.. the Marquis de Sade gives it 5 stars.

Hah...! That's good one, Shogun. You are completely right about Christianity's cult of martyrdom, and the titanic violence just under the surface of their "peaceful" dogma.

What does it say about the psyche of believers, when they are transported by the "beauty" of this orgy of suffering? This movie at least is a honest document: it shows how sick, deep down, the Christian religion really is.

Jen,

You are a beautiful person, and you and I, among fortunately most people in my life are truly blessed with your sort of wisdom.

The intensity of this movie deals with sacrifice at a time where capital punishment was rarely arbitrated before imposed. There are people historically, and in our lifetime that have come close to this, to the benefit of countless people. This sort of blind faith is perhaps the only thing that has ensured our existence as decent, loving people. That has endured as the only true obsticle to our self-destruction. No matter who is running the show, the truth always prevails, and those who make a mockery of faith, are simply subjecting themselves and their lives with their own ignorance, selfishness and self-empowered shallow existence.

Anne Marie

Wow Anne Marie, thanks! But usually when people think that highly of me they regret it in a few days when they get to know me better, so.........lol, just lettin ya know now, you're probably going to be disappointed in your assessment of me (biting lip) countdown...10, 9, 8

seriously though, thanks for the encouragement. I bet you're a blessing to have as a close friend in real life, encouraging others is a gift God gave some when I wasn't looking and I'm always in awe of those who have it! Bless you!
ANNIE,

Jen is a nice person, she won't say the word FUCK as often as I do. :lol:

Jen,

Anne Marie

Thanks Jen. I have my own countdown as well with some folks. lol. We must be on the same page indeed! Especially with some of these folks in here. ;)

Anne Marie

Heres the think, you silly dogma junkies... Torture and crucifixion wasn't invented during stone age rome. I have no doubt that the man was beaten all to hell. But, it's not as if his treatment was THE WORST to have happened to a human being during the timespan of the planet. I guarantee that WORSE deaths happened at the hand of the Inquisition than happened to Jesus even if the most exaggerated story is believed.

See, that's where I think you're wrong because I think it was put upon Christ to suffer more pain than anyone else, because if He didn't, if God allowed a mere person to be tortured worse than Christ, worse than Himself really, then how could He claim that He "feels our pain" so to speak. Somewhere it talks about Jesus fully experiencing all of what it is to be human.

That's why, and the Christian world would be up in arms at this, I believe there is evidence in the Bible to support that Jesus was abused in EVERY way, which makes sense when you think it through. If I was a (name the crime) victim, do you honestly think God would in essence say, "Go ahead, do that to my child, but not to Jesus. Jen is stronger and can take more than Jesus could..." I DONT THINK SO.

I think it was put upon Christ to take the very worst of what the enemy could do to Him, He was delivered into the hands of the enemy, being in satan's court for a time, I believe it's why Christ sweat blood the night He was betrayed. He knew what was coming. And yet He said, "Not My will but Your will be done" and drank from the cup.

I'm not an authority of what happened to people in the inquisition. Perhaps they were made to suffer longer than Christ did, but I don't think ANYONE experienced more pain and more abuse than Christ did. We might not have a graphic explanation of it but there were hours of unrecorded events that Christ went through that we don't even know about while He was at the hands of the guards, experts at inflicting pain just short of death, and then He emerged as unrecognizable as human...

So, it's not like he did anything that more profound than share the experience of being killed.

According to the Bible He was God in the flesh. The night He was betrayed was the first time in all of eternity that He was separated from the Father (now we're into that Trinity mystery though) but He allowed Himself to be submerged into the heart of the earth as He BECAME SIN

• "For He has made Him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him." (2 Cor 5:21)

and sin does not mix with the holiness of God. So for the first time ever, Christ was separated from something I don't understand, something that expands beyond time, I think it was way more than profound. And I think all the torture He went through pales in comparison.

In fact, the entire premise of the movie hits on a greater criticism I have of you dogma junkies: Your martyr complex. That movie touched you because you will always feel like the eternal victim being tormented by those of this world while you try to deny that you are a part of it.

I don't really understand this? I think the HARDEST part about being this "eternal victim" is to not hate in return, is to LOVE the people who persecute you as Christ did. To sincerely LOVE the people that talk smack about me? When you say we try to deny we are a part of it, is that when we actually feel hatred in return yet try to find the love Christ had for us, toward you? Is our denial of what we REALLY feel...what you find offensive? Because I'll admit, my first reaction is usually to give back what I'm getting, but Christ calls us to put that down and we try. Is that what you're talking about?

As if Shadrak, Mishak, Abendigo, Daniel and Jebus make a personal distinction when NONE of you have EVER even REMOTELY understood the persecution of their stories. To be honest, it's this very personal segregation that cripples your ability to express what the MORE IMPORTANT message of jebus was: Salvation through Love rather than validation through mortification.

I'm sorry, I really don't understand. We believe we are saved through what Christ did on the cross though none of us are worthy. Sure there are plenty of us who struggle with our egos and like to think we are worthy, that's probably a constant temptation for all of us, but the fact is and we have all agreed, we're not worthy. Not one of us. Because none of us can live up to God's standard, no not one. And Shadrak, Mishak and Abendigo, Daniel, they put their life on the line, is that what you're saying we don't know? I agree with you, we don't. And we probably really won't know what we'll do in any given situation until that time comes and we are tested. Right now, if we're really His, we're learning to walk the walk. But none of us have arrived, none of us walk on water, each one of us is in and with the Holy Spirit learning whatever lesson He has us on individually, each one of us should look different a year from us but none of us are ever going to "arrive" except in Christ on judgment day.

It's pretty much what makes you the pharisee of your particular brand of faith and why it's so funny to see people call over themselves about the kind of torturefest movie that Saw could look up to.

But see that's what I'm trying to explain. When I see Christ suffer in a movie, there is no part of me reveling in the pain. Or I guess Saw enthusiasts go to a movie like that for the adrenalin rush at the thought of that happening to them??? I'm not sure. All I know is when I saw the Passion of Christ, all I could see, ALL I COULD SEE, was the intense love of a Father coming for His child, refusing to quit, taking it ALL on, because we were helpless to save ourselves from all the sins that we have done and even yet do. That kind of sacficial love...you don't see that in Saw, do you? I can't see any connection between the two whatsoever. It's not about the temporal pain, it's all about the love that drives Him to take it on for us. THAT is what we see.

The Passion wasn't a great movie and it sure as hell didn't convey the type of message that your saviour would have wanted. Hell, look at the giant chasm that separates those who love it from those who are not that impressed. WWJD? Not write a screenplay like the Passion of the Christ.

Isn't it amazing how we can so totally disagree? People like me walked out of there STUNNED and weeping because it reminded us of what Christ did for us and we are completely overwhelmed with gratitude. We had just spent over 2 hours of our lives completely swept away focusing on what Christ did for us and we walked away completely in awe that He cares that much for us.

To be overflowing with gratitude and love for our Savior...oh I think Jesus very much wants us to know the intensity of His love for us. It can't possibly be truly presented through a movie screen, but what the Holy Spirit did to our hearts while we focused on the FACT of what He did, just a glimpse of it completely melted those who get that, it cleanses us, it humbles us, it saves us.

And you too, if you wanted it. God reveals Himself to those who love and obey Him. And it's a life changer, it really is.

feel free. You'd not be the first dogma junkie to leap onto a high horse about things like heliocentism and gravity....

you posted what you posted and then accuse me of being on a high horse because I feel sorry for anyone that equates the one with the other?

My empathy is sincere, and I have nothing to be on a high horse about. I just think you're missing out on the most amazing aspect of life on this planet that there is.

If you found something in life that rocked your whole world, someOne that...I tried, I can't even put it into words...and somebody else equated that to fecal matter, would you not be sad that they missed it?

I am, but, I didn't mean it as an insult. Take care :)

Listen, you won't be the first BELIEVER to throw their faith at something ridiculous. The entire Greek Pantheon waves at people like you. If you think it's the greatest thing in the world then so be it.. But, to me, your pity is like a chair loving amputee feeling sorry for my ability to stand.

But I will keep from trying to hit so hard with my criticism.

I am sorry I used the word "pity". That was received as condescending and I apologize.

As for all the other religions you've studied and compared and tried to marginalize God with...I know the unbeliever will look at them all and say ah-ha, look at how they all copied each other, look at the similarities, look at how they all think theirs is the right one, they're all the same, worthless...

But you might want to look at a couple of things. First, there is only one truth, right? There can only be one absolute truth regardless of what everybody believes, right?

Is it hard to understand that it all began with God, certain things happened like a great flood, of which so many different beliefs write about, and then today some hold it up as "copying each other" when in reality it's just different versions of what actually happened, which considering man, is understandable.

So why would anyone believe the Old Testament/Torah over all the others? Because NOBODY recorded it like the Jews did. Nobody was as exact, nobody had state of the art instruments and methods of recording like the Jews did, the chosen people, a "stiff-necked" people God calls them. Which is probably exactly why they ARE the chosen people.

Not enough? Then consider all the prophesies that came true and are yet coming true today. No other religion has that. Still not enough?

Then consider that, no matter how you look at it, how hard would it be to find one man in all of history that could orchestrate all time so that it points directly at Jesus Christ? Could one man really of his own do that? That all the other nations throughout the whole world would follow it? That would have to be a LOT of circumstances in many places lining up to fall in line with that without changing it. Even though they're trying so hard to now. Good luck with that. Seems to all be falling in line with all the other prophesies about the end times.

Do not miss this. God did not want you to miss His Son. He has a passion and a purpose for you. He always did.

I did find the movie eye-opening to what Jesus actually encountered for us believers. The part I found a little over the top was how they portrayed the devil. I didn't think those scenes did anything good for the movie and that's the part I thought was a bit over the top. The treatment they gave Jesus was indeed brutal and even as vivid as the movie portrayed that part of it, the real suffering He encountered could never be matched on screen.

Really? I don't know how the enemy could have been done better...he/she did look cunning, "peaceful" which I would think he would look like on purpose. How would you have portrayed him?

Know what surprised me was the addition of the Mary's wiping up Christ's blood as precious. Normally we are repulsed by blood, but that was CHRIST'S blood! wow. Huge difference than the average every day blood and it is precious. I thought that was hugely insightful. I think that's probably one of those visions as seen by a nun that I heard about but I don't know for sure.

Heres the think, you silly dogma junkies... Torture and crucifixion wasn't invented during stone age rome. I have no doubt that the man was beaten all to hell. But, it's not as if his treatment was THE WORST to have happened to a human being during the timespan of the planet. I guarantee that WORSE deaths happened at the hand of the Inquisition than happened to Jesus even if the most exaggerated story is believed. So, it's not like he did anything that more profound than share the experience of being killed. In fact, the entire premise of the movie hits on a greater criticism I have of you dogma junkies: Your martyr complex. That movie touched you because you will always feel like the eternal victim being tormented by those of this world while you try to deny that you are a part of it. As if Shadrak, Mishak, Abendigo, Daniel and Jebus make a personal distinction when NONE of you have EVER even REMOTELY understood the persecution of their stories. To be honest, it's this very personal segregation that cripples your ability to express what the MORE IMPORTANT message of jebus was: Salvation through Love rather than validation through mortification. It's pretty much what makes you the pharisee of your particular brand of faith and why it's so funny to see people call over themselves about the kind of torturefest movie that Saw could look up to. The Passion wasn't a great movie and it sure as hell didn't convey the type of message that your saviour would have wanted. Hell, look at the giant chasm that separates those who love it from those who are not that impressed. WWJD? Not write a screenplay like the Passion of the Christ.
ahh shut up leg humper :lol:

Lol Terry!

frypan.gif

(my closest friends recognize this as my ultimate form of affection ;) )

the real suffering He encountered could never be matched on screen.

perhaps.. but it CAN, and HAS been matched in real life by people who don't claim to be the son of a god. as if THAT is unique.

Really? Somebody offered up themselves voluntarily to be beaten and scourged to the point of being unrecognizeable and then killed?

And even if so, it can't match what Christ did, because Christ was perfect, without blemish and undeserving of death. I don't think anyone can match what Christ began it with.

Really? Somebody offered up themselves voluntarily to be beaten and scourged to the point of being unrecognizeable and then killed?

If Marquis de Sade had been given the option....

And even if so, it can't match what Christ did, because Christ was perfect, without blemish and undeserving of death. I don't think anyone can match what Christ began it with.

:lol:

remember the whole 'sabbath' thing... ?

What you BELIEVE and what is fact are often two very different things. If you have any question about the range of torture to human beings that spring out of the inquisition then feel free to enjoy a book or two. Hell, people were busy getting crucified WAY before it happened to jebus. And, way after. If you don't think that being speared on a pole ala Vlad Tepes was no less agonizing than what a human jebus could feel then, truthfully, such an argument invalidates just how common of a human Jebus was anyway. Again, I promise you, what happened to jebus wasn't the epitome of torture. Hell, we was still alive enough to carry his own fucking cross! Take a gander at any number of inquisition torture devices and TELL ME that it's possible to carry a cross down the street after experiencing torture device n.

You can believe what you want. but, belief didn't make the Earth the center of the universe either. But, if THIS is what your faith is hinged on - the brutality and suffereing applied to one man instead of salvation through love, then i'm not the one you should be feeling sorry for. Hell, Shindler's List made people cry too. That doesn't make it factual in the least. If it appeals to your emotions and your christian identity then so be it... but if it's torture porn that really bolds the message of jebus for you then i'm glad I am not a part of it.

ps, AGAIN, jebus wasn't the first or last human to claim to have been the progeny of a god or to have died for the sake of humanity. just sayin...

[FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]". anyone who says 'You fool' will be in danger of the hell fire" (NIV)

Matthew 5:22

'[/FONT]You blind fools! '
[FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Matthew 23:17

[/FONT]

HA! yea.. the Marquis de Sade gives it 5 stars.

Hah...! That's good one, Shogun. You are completely right about Christianity's cult of martyrdom, and the titanic violence just under the surface of their "peaceful" dogma.

What does it say about the psyche of believers, when they are transported by the "beauty" of this orgy of suffering? This movie at least is a honest document: it shows how sick, deep down, the Christian religion really is.

You really believe that, don't you? I think that's the saddest part of all.

stealing a colt....

[FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica] Mark 11:2-4, Matt 21:2-3, and Luke 19:30-31,

notice he didn't approach the owner and borrow it- he told his disciples to steal it and simply brush off anyone who opposed them
[/FONT]

He was a blatant racist who refused to help a woman because it 'wouldnt be right to'

[FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]'to take the children's bread and to cast it to dogs.'[/FONT]

Matthew 15:26

Forum List

Back