Party of No Blocking Doc Fix

and it's pretty great being me.

Good for you Jillian. Many people would benefit from telling themselves that everyday.
stuart_smalley-7943.jpg

I wonder how much money raising the retirement age to 68 or 70 would save.

But in my humble opinion, all that does is cheat those who have paid into it for so long out of the benefits that they are entitled to.

Where is the fairness in that.

Also, keeping with that line of thinking, why don't we just move the retirement age to 99 years/9 months, think of all the damned money we'd save there!

Immie

But in my humble opinion, all that does is cheat those who have paid into it for so long out of the benefits that they are entitled to.

Also, keeping with that line of thinking, why don't we just move the retirement age to 99 years/9 months, think of all the damned money we'd save there!

Immie

True, but our life expectancy has grown since SS's conception decades ago. Raising the age would help "balance" things back out in a way, I suppose.

(1) When are people's medical bills typically at their highest? When they get older! Dying is very costly on the living! Since our insurance system is mostly employer run, getting private insurance without medicare picking up the majority of the bill is well close to impossible. Few can argue that providing healthcare for seniors is not Necessary

(2) HOWEVER, no one can deny that medicare (and social security for that matter) is not well in the red and is broken system. If it was a private industry it would have been shut down decades ago. That is a fact.

(3) Who was the most out spoken group against Obamacare? The seniors, since they feared their medicare payment getting cut and it appears to be happening.

(4) One fact remains: We can't be a nation that tosses our old into the bucket!

Of course what is left out is a way to insure Medical Costs go down and Doctors have their bills being paid! FIGHTING ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION - by far they are the biggest drain on the US healthcare system! They are the 10 ton Gorilla in the room!

We need the Charle's Grodin's character from Dave to come save the day ... and the stupid homeless shelters.

Not irrelevant at all...It was the feature that kept the Ponzi scheme afloat for as long as it remained so.

And if it doesn't go away, it'll be the death of the value of the USD, as there is no political courage to make even the most superficial changes to the program.

Immie

True, but our life expectancy has grown since SS's conception decades ago. Raising the age would help "balance" things back out in a way, I suppose.

True in that sense, however, I still believe the issue is more than just saving money in this case.

So many things have changed in the financial markets since SS was established. It is my belief that the citizens of this still great nation would be better off if we weaned ourselves off of Social Security AND established a privatized system. I do not believe we should leave it up to the people to decide IF they want to set up a retirement plan, because too many would do what I did and say... "I'll do it later". Later... anything later than today... is too frigging late!

Note: we would still need a fund for those families that loose their main breadwinner to either early death or disability, but that could easily be established.

Immie

Gotta love the party of no... the imbecile ihopehefails crowd blocks legislation and then the wingnuts blame president obama because the rates aren't being fixed... .

loons...

Obama faults Senate Republicans for blocking 'doc fix'
By Silla Brush - 06/12/10 06:00 AM ET
President Barack Obama on Saturday blamed Senate Republicans for blocking legislation that would help doctors by preventing cuts in their Medicare payments.

The president said that without congressional action, the cuts "could lead seniors to lose their doctors."

In his weekly address, Obama said the so-called "doc fix" has been approved by Congress when it was under both Democratic and Republican control. Democrats are looking to prevent a 21 percent cut in payments as part of a broader tax and spending package.

"Some Senate Republicans may even block a vote on this issue," Obama said. "After years of voting to defer these cuts, the other party is now willing to walk away from the needs of our doctors and our seniors."

Obama faults Senate Republicans for blocking 'doc fix' - TheHill.com

Blame Obama and the Democrats. They had the chance to "FIX" this when they passed "ObamaCare". They refused. Because to do so would have ruined the CBO score of this lousy legislation. That would have forced them to be honest about the costs, and that would have never passed.

It is about time that Democrats and Obama OWNED this POS.

Not irrelevant at all...It was the feature that kept the Ponzi scheme afloat for as long as it remained so.

And if it doesn't go away, it'll be the death of the value of the USD, as there is no political courage to make even the most superficial changes to the program.

Raising the retirement age, as part of a well-articulated, and sensible comprehensive budget reform platform could sell.

Could sell to whom?

Do you realize the demographic pile-up there is, of people who are on the cusp of getting their ride on the gravy train?

All of the Americans who are apparently upset at the out of control spending. I mean, I sure read a lot about that.

I agree that a just cutting off the faucet wouldn't work. I would stagger when it comes into effect. In other words, if you are 60-65 when the legislation goes into effect it doesn't effect you ... 58-59 you can retire at 66, 56-57 you retire at 67, etc.

Of course, there would be all sorts of ZOMG!!! the other team wants to kill old people and take your monies.

Could sell to whom?

Do you realize the demographic pile-up there is, of people who are on the cusp of getting their ride on the gravy train?

All of the Americans who are apparently upset at the out of control spending. I mean, I sure read a lot about that.

I agree that a just cutting off the faucet wouldn't work. I would stagger when it comes into effect. In other words, if you are 60-65 when the legislation goes into effect it doesn't effect you ... 58-59 you can retire at 66, 56-57 you retire at 67, etc.

yeah, the tea people are upset about out of control spending....

until you talk about controlling the money they suck out of the system.

reality... social security should be raised by 3 years... that would save a huge amount of money.

Could sell to whom?

A LOT of people never really retire at all.

Turns out that clipping coupons and playing bingo all day gets stale after awhile.

Immie

True in that sense, however, I still believe the issue is more than just saving money in this case.

So many things have changed in the financial markets since SS was established. It is my belief that the citizens of this still great nation would be better off if we weaned ourselves off of Social Security AND established a privatized system. I do not believe we should leave it up to the people to decide IF they want to set up a retirement plan, because too many would do what I did and say... "I'll do it later". Later... anything later than today... is too frigging late!

Note: we would still need a fund for those families that loose their main breadwinner to either early death or disability, but that could easily be established.

Immie

I'm not entirely sure I would "wean off" .. I interpret that as eventually eliminating it but I think relieving some pressure is necessary. I agree that a first step has to be taken as the system as it stand right now sucks. Raising the retirement age seems like a fairly reasonable place to start to me.

Could sell to whom?

Turns out that clipping coupons and playing bingo all day gets stale after awhile.

Three more years to work and build their personal retirement and savings wont help out? Working a couple of extra years usually means a strong boost in annual income in retirement, does it not?

Anyway ... I'm wicked tired and need to go to bed.

Dude, if you think the public can't be sold on reform then there is no way they are getting sold on dismantling it.

Three more years to work and build their personal retirement and savings wont help out? Working a couple of extra years usually means a strong boost in annual income in retirement, does it not?
Handing a bunch of your rightful earnings over to a bunch of Washington bureaucrats is hardly "building personal retirement and savings", as the current problem with OASI demonstrates in spades.

Forum List

Back