Overeducated And Unemployed

Then again its to many kids thinking they are going to make easy fast money as a lawyer.

• Banned
By the end of week one, they all know it won't be easy. And it isn't. But Christ onna cracker, at least some kids smart enough to get through law school could handle engineering. (Not all, I grant you.) We're starved for MDs, engineers, any sort of scientist.....why do we insist on running higher ed as if it is predominately a country club for professors?

There is no such thing as "over educated".

There sure as hell is such a thing as "unemployed".

and unemployable because you're over-educated for the position. Especially today, when most applications are online, so you cannot express your desire, need to be loyal for a period of time you'd commit to. It's been happening to me all summer. Yes, I'd work in supermarket, I've done it before. I need the benefits and would need the second job for at least 18 months-2 years, AFTER I find a full-time teaching position. But now I've 3 BA's and a MS, so can't get part-time hire, at least so far.

By the end of week one, they all know it won't be easy. And it isn't. But Christ onna cracker, at least some kids smart enough to get through law school could handle engineering. (Not all, I grant you.) We're starved for MDs, engineers, any sort of scientist.....why do we insist on running higher ed as if it is predominately a country club for professors?

Television has a lot to do with it, i believe. Law is easy compared to medicine.

• Banned

and unemployable because you're over-educated for the position. Especially today, when most applications are online, so you cannot express your desire, need to be loyal for a period of time you'd commit to. It's been happening to me all summer. Yes, I'd work in supermarket, I've done it before. I need the benefits and would need the second job for at least 18 months-2 years, AFTER I find a full-time teaching position. But now I've 3 BA's and a MS, so can't get part-time hire, at least so far.

Mebbe you need not reveal all your degrees, Annie. I don't see why failing to disclose you have more degrees than a thermometer would be deceptive. I feel ya, believe me....I hope you find something ASAP.

yep, engineers and scientists will always be in high demand but many people simply aren't able to handle it or don't have the discipline to go through 4-6 years of intense math & science and their job prospects are dwindling and will continue to do so.

when it comes times for my kids to do college I will have serious issues if they decide to do liberal arts, business, or any similar nonsense.

Television has a lot to do with it, i believe. Law is easy compared to medicine.

Many factors played into the proliferation of law schools....the ABA has to shoulder some of the blame. But it past time to discuss closing some.

Mebbe you need not reveal all your degrees, Annie. I don't see why failing to disclose you have more degrees than a thermometer would be deceptive. I feel ya, believe me....I hope you find something ASAP.

Maybe, but you need to account for time, besides my last employer was for 11 years and would give my credentials. Tricky game that is.

Then I wonder why Obama has declared jihad on career colleges, and not law schools?

The American Spectator : Assault on Career Colleges

The typical career college student is already employed, 25 years of age or older, minority, female, single and often with dependent children, has lower income, cannot rely on family resources to finance college, and comes from a family without a college degree.

He must be looking out for "the little guy."

I guess he can always use you as a community organizer if you graduate from law school, or you can make rules about industries you know nothing about in his Cabinet departments.

Many factors played into the proliferation of law schools....the ABA has to shoulder some of the blame. But it past time to discuss closing some.

Law schools are doing just what the promise. They graduate lawyers who can pass the bar. If you are not within the top 1% the big prestigious firms are not going to even look at you. ;)

Maybe, but you need to account for time, besides my last employer was for 11 years and would give my credentials. Tricky game that is.

Mebbe discuss it with a career counselor at school? Meanwhile, if it helps, my kidlet is in your boat and landed a job at Lowe's....a good employer, with wonderful benefits and a relatively family-friendly workplace. Have you tried them?

Law schools are doing just what the promise. They graduate lawyers who can pass the bar. If you are not within the top 1% the big prestigious firms are not going to even look at you. ;)

No, they are not doing as promised...not unless you think 99% of the class was there just to glorify 1%. Few people attend law school with no desire to ever practice law.

Mebbe discuss it with a career counselor at school? Meanwhile, if it helps, my kidlet is in your boat and landed a job at Lowe's....a good employer, with wonderful benefits and a relatively family-friendly workplace. Have you tried them?

I did. Best Buy, Toys R US, Home Depot, etc. I'm sure something will break. My best bet are some contacts I have in insurance. Trying to find an agent willing to pay for re-licensing exam. While doesn't give benefits, does pay enough even part-time, to purchase.

have you though about tutoring? I don't know what grades you taught or what your expertise is in, but for example you could find work through:

1) searching the part-time and gigs section of your local craigslists
2) posting flyers with your cell # around local colleges / community colleges
3) posting flyers at local community centers / continiung education centers

you can also search for forums local to your city and see if they will let you post your credentials and such on their site.

have you though about tutoring? I don't know what grades you taught or what your expertise is in, but for example you could find work through:

1) searching the part-time and gigs section of your local craigslists
2) posting flyers with your cell # around local colleges / community colleges
3) posting flyers at local community centers / continiung education centers

you can also search for forums local to your city and see if they will let you post your credentials and such on their site.

Now that I'm substituting, that may become possible. My son had mentioned Craigslist, yet never got around to showing me how that works, thanks for reminding me!

No, they are not doing as promised...not unless you think 99% of the class was there just to glorify 1%. Few people attend law school with no desire to ever practice law.

That is not what i meant. The glut of law students in my opinion is about vanity. ( or stupidity) rather like an art degree. Fun, easy but will most likely get you nowhere.

Forum List

Back