Overeducated And Unemployed

and unemployable because you're over-educated for the position. Especially today, when most applications are online, so you cannot express your desire, need to be loyal for a period of time you'd commit to. It's been happening to me all summer. Yes, I'd work in supermarket, I've done it before. I need the benefits and would need the second job for at least 18 months-2 years, AFTER I find a full-time teaching position. But now I've 3 BA's and a MS, so can't get part-time hire, at least so far.

have you though about tutoring? I don't know what grades you taught or what your expertise is in, but for example you could find work through:

1) searching the part-time and gigs section of your local craigslists
2) posting flyers with your cell # around local colleges / community colleges
3) posting flyers at local community centers / continiung education centers

you can also search for forums local to your city and see if they will let you post your credentials and such on their site.

Now that I'm substituting, that may become possible. My son had mentioned Craigslist, yet never got around to showing me how that works, thanks for reminding me!

I advertise on Craig's List, among other Sites, it is a nice concept.

and unemployable because you're over-educated for the position. Especially today, when most applications are online, so you cannot express your desire, need to be loyal for a period of time you'd commit to. It's been happening to me all summer. Yes, I'd work in supermarket, I've done it before. I need the benefits and would need the second job for at least 18 months-2 years, AFTER I find a full-time teaching position. But now I've 3 BA's and a MS, so can't get part-time hire, at least so far.

have you though about tutoring? I don't know what grades you taught or what your expertise is in, but for example you could find work through:

1) searching the part-time and gigs section of your local craigslists
2) posting flyers with your cell # around local colleges / community colleges
3) posting flyers at local community centers / continiung education centers

you can also search for forums local to your city and see if they will let you post your credentials and such on their site.

Now that I'm substituting, that may become possible. My son had mentioned Craigslist, yet never got around to showing me how that works, thanks for reminding me!

I had a got a couple really good tutoring leads on craigslist that would have becoming paying work if I didn't get sucked into a big project at work. Have your son show you how to browse the sub forums and email people and you should be able to find some gigs quick. word of mouth also spreads quickly for things like that

Grads taking law schools to task for poor job market - USATODAY.com

My thought is, close some goddamned law schools. Whose interests are served by graduating so many that will never find jobs as lawyers?

Had that same conversation with a new personal injury attorney who is a huge Obama supporter.

"What did you expect?"

Dude's looking for a job as an "analyst" now, but thinks $50K is beneath him. I told him that "education is expensive," and he replied that he understood and he's $110K in debt.

"That's what your degree cost you and you haven't even gotten an education yet."

By the end of week one, they all know it won't be easy. And it isn't. But Christ onna cracker, at least some kids smart enough to get through law school could handle engineering. (Not all, I grant you.) We're starved for MDs, engineers, any sort of scientist.....why do we insist on running higher ed as if it is predominately a country club for professors?

Because that's what many segments of education have become, and Math is hard.

yep, engineers and scientists will always be in high demand but many people simply aren't able to handle it or don't have the discipline to go through 4-6 years of intense math & science and their job prospects are dwindling and will continue to do so.

when it comes times for my kids to do college I will have serious issues if they decide to do liberal arts, business, or any similar nonsense.

Put the lofty goals in their heads and the skills to fix a sink (or an air conditioning unit, or a boat, or a fence, or a pool, etc...) in their hands.

A college degree (any of them) used to be a golden ticket of sorts but it isn't anymore. Recently an Ivy League degree was a virtual guarantee of at least upper middle class but that's no longer the situation.

My plumber wears a Rolex though.

Mebbe you need not reveal all your degrees, Annie. I don't see why failing to disclose you have more degrees than a thermometer would be deceptive. I feel ya, believe me....I hope you find something ASAP.

Maybe, but you need to account for time, besides my last employer was for 11 years and would give my credentials. Tricky game that is.

Find a small business, offer to work for 2 weeks for free (no benefits unless you're hired full time), tell the owner that you'll prove your worth by then.

There is no such thing as "over educated".

Shut up and mop up that spill in Aisle 12!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

As funny as that sounds, I'd like to remind everyone that there is no shame in being aware of Faust, Adam Smith, and Karl Marx while still cleaning the aisles better than all the other unemployed Masters of Business Administration in the building.

A guy's gotta eat.

Many factors played into the proliferation of law schools....the ABA has to shoulder some of the blame. But it past time to discuss closing some.

Law schools are doing just what the promise. They graduate lawyers who can pass the bar. If you are not within the top 1% the big prestigious firms are not going to even look at you. ;)

No, they are not doing as promised...not unless you think 99% of the class was there just to glorify 1%. Few people attend law school with no desire to ever practice law.

The irony in my life is that I actually do want to attend law school and I have no intention of practicing law (well outside of my own business).

Never bellittle anyone elses contribution to our world.
A luxury hotel would suck if no one cleaned it.
Your plate would be empty but for the ag workers.
etc.

An economy can support only so many highly-educated positions. You need far more construction workers, than you need engineers.

Due to government loans and cultural emphasis, we have pushed far too many people into higher education. As a result, we have many unemployed educated workers, and educated workers doing unskilled or low-skill work.

Did I mention how fortunate I am to be at this hospital?

Never bellittle anyone elses contribution to our world.
A luxury hotel would suck if no one cleaned it.
Your plate would be empty but for the ag workers.
etc.

Yup.

I'm reminded of the Medical Doctors who drove taxicabs while waiting for their Indian (Ghandi not Tanto) credentials to be verified so they could take the US medical board exams. Some of them decided being a driver in this country was a better life and were happy.

I'm reminded of the Medical Doctors who drove taxicabs while waiting for their Indian (Ghandi not Tanto) credentials to be verified so they could take the US medical board exams. Some of them decided being a driver in this country was a better life and were happy.
Considering that American call-center-workers make more than Indian doctors, I don't blame them!

An economy can support only so many highly-educated positions. You need far more construction workers, than you need engineers.

Due to government loans and cultural emphasis, we have pushed far too many people into higher education. As a result, we have many unemployed educated workers, and educated workers doing unskilled or low-skill work.

Health care is pretty much the only industry not flat on its back right now.

Considering that American call-center-workers make more than Indian doctors, I don't blame them!

Exactly.

I'm not above mopping floors to feed my kids, but I don't expect those who mop my floors to expect anything else than our mutually agreed upon rate to do so.

Plenty of Doctors disagree, especially the new ones.

And I hear many hospitals are already starting to let their nursing staff go. Everything that won't endanger patients is being cut. Even the coffee in our breakrooms.

Last edited:

The only companies hiring and building are in health care.

The only companies hiring and building are in health care.

I'd like to see some basis for that statement.

Plenty of companies are hiring, they are just not big enough to get headlines. Plenty of healthcare organizations are hiring too, but not at the same pace to replace those either leaving or getting laid off.

Head to a medical staffing company and take a look.

Forum List

Back