Our live stock herds in danger

This is about dairy Cows, but with the price of Corn so high the beef cow herds are being cut also. This keeps up and we may lead our own way to starvation.

Dairy cows head for slaughter as milk prices sour

what happened to feeding them grass? i can understand that would be near impossible up here in maine 8 months of the year, unless they grew enough in the summer to stock up for the winter?

i know i have been hearing the same up here....that the milk farmers are going to go under....

i just don't know enough about this all...i suppose...
Corn subsidies are why they aren't fed grass...which can pretty much be traced back to Nixon.

This is about dairy Cows, but with the price of Corn so high the beef cow herds are being cut also. This keeps up and we may lead our own way to starvation.

what happened to feeding them grass? i can understand that would be near impossible up here in maine 8 months of the year, unless they grew enough in the summer to stock up for the winter?

i know i have been hearing the same up here....that the milk farmers are going to go under....

Corn subsidies are why they aren't fed grass...which can pretty much be traced back to Nixon.

try FDR

AAA controlled the supply of seven "basic crops" – corn, wheat, cotton, rice, peanuts, tobacco and milk – by offering payments to farmers in return for taking some of their land out of farming, not planting a crop.

AAA, the Agricultural Adjustment Act & Administration

You can thank Iowa so called democrats for that.

ACtually the biggest cheerleadeer for ethanol was BOB DOLE who was working for the big agriculutual conglomerates

A little ethanol lesson. Ethanol was developed at the University of Nebraska (Lincoln) (You know, the CORNhuskers). It was field tested first in Nebraska. When I was in high school in the 1970s and early 1980s it was at every gas station in Omaha.

I'm sure other states saw the benefits for their farmers, but Nebraska brought it to them.

I beg to differ, have you ever tasted grass fed beef? Blech! When I got to Germany in the 80s, there was a McDonalds right across from our barracks. A quarter pounder sure sounded good. I went over and got two Hamburger Royal mit Kase bought them back and prepared to chow down. I took one bite and spit it out.

Nasty ass Czech grass fed beef. Gives me shivers just thinking about it.

I beg to differ, have you ever tasted grass fed beef? Blech! When I got to Germany in the 80s, there was a McDonalds right across from our barracks. A quarter pounder sure sounded good. I went over and got two Hamburger Royal mit Kase bought them back and prepared to chow down. I took one bite and spit it out.

Ever eat beef from Argentina? Give it a try.

No can do. I'm loyal to Nebraska beef. I lived there too long to start supporting imported beef. Hey, aren't you one of the people that always talks about "outsourcing" out industry? I guess farmers don't count?

yeah, the thread title is indeed overly dramatic,

plus it ignores the facts of the article.

Ya we don't need cheese or milk or any of the other products either right? You realize we tend to supply the world?

from the article...

"Abroad, the global recession has cut into demand for butter and cheese exported from the U.S.".

hehehe...apparently the masses don't want our expensive and excessive dairy products...

Thats ok ... we are going to need it down at the cheese line!

No can do. I'm loyal to Nebraska beef. I lived there too long to start supporting imported beef. Hey, aren't you one of the people that always talks about "outsourcing" out industry? I guess farmers don't count?
I support farmers that don't run feedlots and force cows to eat corn. There aren't many in this country, but there are a few. Argentina has come up with a great way to farm both corn and grass-fed beef cattle and we'd do well to emulate them before they take away more of our exports.

I support farmers that don't run feedlots and force cows to eat corn. There aren't many in this country, but there are a few. Argentina has come up with a great way to farm both corn and grass-fed beef cattle and we'd do well to emulate them before they take away more of our exports.

I do also. Bison is good too. It's grass fed and free range. It even has less bad cholesterol. Has to be cooked just right.

I do also. Bison is good too. It's grass fed and free range. It even has less bad cholesterol. Has to be cooked just right.

grass fed cows have less cholesterol and fat as well....

that's why the farmers feed them corn, to fatten them up....with fat....it doesn't give them any more red meat, it makes them larger via being fatter, imo....

hmmmmmm, maybe we can blame the cattle industry for getting all of us meat eating Americans fat? :lol: I'm ONLY KIDDING before someone slams me....but i would bet, if they ever studied it, fatty beef would be one of the reasons for us getting fatter, along with a kazillion other bad eating habits!

Free range Bison is served up here in most restaurants.....

They are trying to eat it all before they export it. Argentinians eat the most red meat of any country in the world. They make us look like vegetarians. We eat 90 pounds per year. They eat 142 pounds per year.

Are objecting to "finishing" beef? The process of corn feeding and fattening just before slaughter? I can assure you that in Nebraska, at any rate, beef is largely left to roam the large open prairies until it's time for finishing. I can't speak to other states, but that's what I've seen there.

I just had a Bison burger on Friday. It was quite good. of course. I have no problem eating Bison or game for that matter. We should probably incorporate more of that into our diet. Deer are out of control, it makes sense to eat them instead of hitting them with our cars.

Milk cows are feed hay and alfalfa. The problem is there is not enough in some places due to droughts or fires. And the cost has risen to high and the price of milk has fallen.

we need to stop using corn for biodiesel.

holy shit I agree with Jillian about something.
A majority would agree with that.

Biofuel gets lousy mileage. It is also hard on engines that are not designed for this type fuel.

You can thank Iowa so called democrats for that.
ACtually the biggest cheerleadeer for ethanol was BOB DOLE who was working for the big agriculutual conglomerates

Bipartisan disasters...ya gotta love em. The keep proving that the party systems is basically bullshit don't they?

You should start a WELLS FARGO WATCH website.

Hell yes I'm serious.

I stand corrected. Some family farmers got screwed.

BIG AGRICULTURAL CORORATIONS, I'll wager, did not.

Nothing new there, huh?

That's been going on now for decades.

Bob Dole was a cheerleader but let's take a look at who all worked it from the back end.

Tech_Esq is correct from the standpoint Nebraska started it. Iowa picked it up hot and heavy because many of the bankers involved started out of Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota.

They pick up land at fire sale prices after driving the family farms into bankruptcy. (I mean that literally I talk to a few along the way the last 6 years and we have some family that this was tried on when their dad passed away)

Once they had the land they needed an income for some of it so they push for the Crop Reduction Program CRP, get paid for not actually operating the farm . (here people made up deeds, quit claim whatever they could get there hands on, a lot of creativity into collecting farm credits and CRP) I asked the local farm assistant guy, "How do I get on this here get paid for not farming stuff, I mean we have this land. He said "well you need a deed and then a committee votes on your application." I asked, 'Who is on this committee" He never answered that one. So I asked, "What kind of deed or will any ole deed do?" He said "Just a deed to you for the property you are applying for."

The Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota banks have long standing ties in what you see happening today in the banking industry and now large corporate farming processes in the Midwest.

A large portion of the actual family farms here were wiped out in the 60's, 70's, early 80's in favor of corporate farms and CRP land.

As for CA and ID. In the 80's and 90's California the dairy farms by the droves moved into Idaho. The price of the land, taxes and eviromental costs in California made it prohibitive for many of them to stay in business there in CA. They moved by the groves into Idaho. Then they lobbied and recieved protection from being sued for the excessive amount of pollution they caused to the underground water supplies.

When you put several hundred cows in a small area whether they are dairy cows or cattle fed for slaughter it creates eviromental problems.

Maybe some others can put their two cents in for the areas they have lived in.

Agreed there needs to be a website dedicated solely to each one of these beast of the banking world. One that will not sell out to these guys for any reason.

Drill some wells.....develop oil from shale....build some refineries...build some nuke plants....use our own natural resources.....

Energy problems solved for the next 200+ years

One would think that even Dims could grasp so simple a solution....

Forum List

Back