CDZ Our Ally Israel

An accident that lasted almost an hour. I wonder how incompetent the Israelis would have to be to cause an "accident" like that? They must be extremely poorly trained, not a professional force at all. They would have to be very very stupid for that to be an accident.

The incident, which happened at 2 pm didn't last very long but there had been several Israeli reconnaissance flights over the U.S.S. Liberty since 5 am that morning. Without doubt they had identified it as a U.S. Navy "spy ship". A good history channel documentary available here describes the events of that day and plays tapes of conversations between the Israeli pilots and their control. These tapes confirm the ship was identified as American before the attack began. And of course the flag and the large I.D. painted on the ship were unmistakable. When the jets had ran out of ammunition and they sent in the torpedo boats to finish off the Liberty, the Star of David painted on the gunboat's hulls were clearly visible to the Liberty's crew. The torpedo that struck killed 25 of the 34 sailors that died that day.

The Association of Liberty Veterans has demanded answers ever since the tragedy and has accused the Israeli's of war crimes for strafing it's lifeboats that had been deployed and for jamming it's distress calls (which is a violation of international law) as well as its tactical radio. They were also pretty angry that the Israelis tried out one of the new weapons supplied by the U.S. on them - Napalm. The cover up and the political blackmail of President Johnson is revealed in the video by Admiral Inman. The Israelis threatened L.B.J. with accusations of "Blood Libel" and anti-semitism if he pursued a proper investigation.

The motive for the attack that Jeremiah says didn't exist was pretty clear to everyone "in the know". The Israel's had promised the U.S. their war was purely defensive and not a "land grab". They were afraid that the intelligence ship would gather evidence that they intended to occupy the Golan Heights, Jerusalem, and the other territories they ended up with. They also probably feared that the spy ship would gather more evidence that they had started the war.

The Captain of the Liberty (whose Medal of Honor ceremony took place more or less in secret, contrary to the traditional presentation by the President) gave the finger to the Israeli helicopter that showed up eventually to enquire if they needed assistance. Of course this was after the Israeli's had heard the signal one of the radiomen had gotten out after he jury rigged an antenna and managed to communicate with the Sixth Fleet, which was 600 miles away. On hearing that the fleet was sending fighter aircraft the attack was called off.
I wonder if there are any other examples from history of napalm being used to sink a ship? There don't seem to be any. That's because napalm would never be used to sink a ship, it would be ineffective. Though it would be very useful in killing as many crew members as possible.

Your effeminate avatar.
So you are evidently just a little too stupid to know who Will Rogers was. Not a big surprise. I'll bet we could fill volumes with the things you know absolutely nothing about.

I'm in my 50s; way too young to recognize him in such a young picture.
There must be a reason you chose the most sissy image of him you could.
I'm familiar with the older, more manly Will Rogers.
I guess this is the one with which you identify.
Well that answers that question. You really are just this smart.

And if you were honest, you would have titled this thread, "USS Libery - F The Jews".
Instead, you displayed your effeminate nature of hiding behind a pseudo intellectual title.

Now, if you want to show some intellectual honesty (cough! cough!), why don't you start a thread that discusses the many BILLIONS the US throws at the billionaire oil sheiks who train terrorists to murder non-Muslims all over the world and for whom the US provides an actual military presence WITHOUT the US getting a discount on Arab oil.

Your effeminate avatar.
So you are evidently just a little too stupid to know who Will Rogers was. Not a big surprise. I'll bet we could fill volumes with the things you know absolutely nothing about.

And if you were honest, you would have titled this thread, "USS Libery - F The Jews".
Instead, you displayed your effeminate nature of hiding behind a pseudo intellectual title.

Now, if you want to show some intellectual honesty (cough! cough!), why don't you start a thread that discusses the many BILLIONS the US throws at the billionaire oil sheiks who train terrorists to murder non-Muslims all over the world and for whom the US provides an actual military presence WITHOUT the US getting a discount on Arab oil.
I wasn't making any comparisons between Israel and Arab nations. Seems like a pretty low standard of measurement. I thought we held Israel to a higher standard, I know they hold themselves to higher expectations than that. Maybe that's who you like to compare yourself with because you have such low expectations and standards for yourself. You are a prime example of the lowest common denominators.

Your effeminate avatar.

I wasn't making any comparisons between Israel and Arab nations. Seems like a pretty low standard of measurement. I thought we held Israel to a higher standard, I know they hold themselves to higher expectations than that. Maybe that's who you like to compare yourself with because you have such low expectations and standards for yourself. You are a prime example of the lowest common denominators.

"Higher standards" has become code for, I want to find a reason to justify my dislike of these people.

"Higher standards" has become code for, I want to find a reason to justify my dislike of these people.
Which obviously you know from reading all my other anti Jewish remarks on this forum........right professor?

Which obviously you know from reading all my other anti Jewish remarks on this forum........right professor?

No, it's something I know from reading the way the term has been used by all kinds of people over the last few years.

No, it's something I know from reading the way the term has been used by all kinds of people over the last few years.
So then all your personal remarks are based on your own stupid speculation. Thanks for clearing that up.

So then all your personal; remarks are based on your own stupid speculation. Thanks for clearing that up.

Observation is not speculation.

So then all your personal; remarks are based on your own stupid speculation. Thanks for clearing that up.

Observation is not speculation.
Your conclusions are based on your own thoughtless stupidity.

So then all your personal remarks are based on your own stupid speculation. Thanks for clearing that up.

Be honest and rename the thread.
Your grievance is NOT only with the US Liberty, but with the "accursed" Israel in general.

Your grievance is NOT only with the US Liberty, but with the "accursed" Israel in general.
People like yourself are one of the reasons Israel can't be discussed rationally, no criticism of Israeli policies or actions can be tolerated.

People like yourself are one of the reasons Israel can't be discussed rationally, no criticism of Israeli policies or actions can be tolerated.

So your stance is that Israel overall is NOT an ally due to an incident that occurred almost 50 years ago.
Based on that logic, how many allies does the US have?

So your stance is that Israel overall is NOT an ally due to an incident that occurred almost 50 years ago.

No, wrong again. Israel is obviously a very close economic, diplomatic, political, and military ally. I'm saying they are allies for their own reasons, they have their own agenda and it doesn't necessarily go hand in hand with US interests all the time. But no one in Washington would ever say even that much. You can't get elected without having pledged your undying loyalty to Israel.

Last edited:

No, wrong again. Israel is obviously a very close economic, diplomatic, political, and military ally. I'm saying they are allies for their own reasons, they have their own agenda and it doesn't necessarily go hand in hand with US interests all the time. But no one in Washington would ever say even that much. You can't get elected without having pledged your undying loyalty to Israel.

Every one of our "allies" has their own agenda.
Not one of our "allies" turns down the billions in Middle Class taxes we give them to remain our "allies".
The Evangelicals want the Rapture, so they can go to Hell.

Now please explain to us why Israel is different than any of our other "allies".

Not one of our "allies" turns down the billions in Middle Class taxes we give them to remain our "allies".

Now please explain to us why Israel is different than any of our other "allies".
Israel gets more money from us than anyone else in the form of direct military assistance. They are the junior partner in this relationship.

You're appointed to fix it. Get 'er done, Sherlock.
So then you concur with this explanation? It was obviously just a case of gross incompetence. I wonder who was punished? Who had to take the consequences for such a monumental "mistake"?
Who was punished when during the Iraq war the US fired on US and coalition forces.

Friendly fire occurs during war.

It could have easily been avoided if the US told Israel that there was a US ship off the Egyptian coast, especially since Israel was in an active war with Egypt at the time and the night before were shelled from the Egyptian coast.
You don't even begin to know what you're talking about.
So then you concur with this explanation? It was obviously just a case of gross incompetence. I wonder who was punished? Who had to take the consequences for such a monumental "mistake"?
Who was punished when during the Iraq war the US fired on US and coalition forces.

It could have easily been avoided if the US told Israel that there was a US ship off the Egyptian coast, especially since Israel was in an active war with Egypt at the time and the night before were shelled from the Egyptian coast.
So then you're going with the theory of Israeli incompetence. The USS Liberty looked nothing like any Egyptian or Soviet ship, it would have been instantly recognizable to any trained military personnel, easily distinguished from any other type of vessel.
Really genius? How do you figure that?

The flag was not able to be seen as the testimony said because of the calm winds.

Israel was in an active war with Egypt, and the ship was off the Egyptian coast. The day before Israel was shelled from that area.

The ship was not supposed to be in that area.

What should have happened is that the US should have told Israel where the ship would be, and that way Israel would have the heads up.

The mistakes were made by the US.

Once again the transmissions as caught by a US spy plane of the Israeli pilots prove beyond a shadow of any doubt that Israel thought it was an Egyptian ship.
Consult your copy of Jane's Fighting Ships and compare USS Liberty with Egyptian and Soviet naval vessels. You can figure out how to do that can't you?
Yet, it's only Israel that can't make mistakes.

List of friendly fire incidents - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

War in Afghanistan from 2001[edit]
  • In the Tarnak Farm incident of 18 April 2002, four Canadian soldiers were killed and eight others injured when U.S. Air National Guard Major Harry Schmidt, dropped a laser-guided 500 lb (230 kg) bomb from his F-16 jet fighter on thePrincess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry regiment which was conducting a night firing exercise near Kandahar. Schmidt was charged with negligent manslaughter, aggravated assault, and dereliction of duty. He was found guilty of the latter charge. During testimony Schmidt blamed the incident on his use of "go pills" (authorized mild stimulants), combined with the 'fog of war'.[103] The Canadian dead received US medals for "bravery", but no apology.
  • Pat Tillman, a former professional American football player, was shot and killed by American fire in 22 April 2004. AnArmy Special Operations Command investigation was conducted by Brigadier General Jones and the U.S. Department of Defense concluded that Pat Tillman's death was due to friendly fire aggravated by the intensity of the firefight. A more thorough investigation concluded that no hostile forces were involved in the firefight and that two allied groups fired on each other in confusion after a nearby explosive device was detonated.
  • On 6 April 2006, a British convoy in Afghanistan wounded 13 Afghan police officers and killed one, after calling in a US airstrike on what they thought was a Taliban attack.[104]
  • In Sangin Province, a female RAF Harrier pilot[105] mistakenly strafed British troops missing the enemy by 200 metres during a firefight with the Taliban on 20 August 2006.
  • Canadian soldiers opened fire on a white pickup truck, about 25 kilometres west of Kandahar, killing an Afghan officer with 6 others injured on 26 August 2006.[106]
  • Operation Medusa (2006): 1 – Two U.S. A-10 Thunderbolts accidentally strafed NATO forces in southern Afghanistan, killing Canadian Private Mark Anthony Graham.
  • On 5 December 2006, an F/A-18C on a Close Air Support mission in Helmand Province, Afghanistan, mistakenly attacked a trench where British Royal Marines were dug-in during a 10-hour battle with Taliban fighters, killing one Royal Marine.[107]
  • Lance Corporal Matthew Ford, from Zulu Company of 45 Commando Royal Marines, died after receiving a gunshot wound in Afghanistan on 15 January 2007, which was later found to be due to friendly fire. The final inquest ruled he died from NATO rounds from a fellow Royal Marine's machine gun. The report added there was no "negligence" by the other Marine, who had made a "momentary error of judgment".[108][109]
  • Canadian troops mistakenly killed an Afghan National Police officer and a homeless beggar after their convoy was ambushed in Kandahar City.[110]
  • Of two helicopters called in to support operations by the British Grenadier Guards and Afghan National Army forces inHelmand, the British Westland WAH-64 Apache engaged enemy forces, while the accompanying American AH-64D Apache opened fire on the Grenadiers and Afghan troops.[111]
  • 23 August 2007: A USAF F-15 called in to support British ground forces in Afghanistan dropped a bomb on those forces. Three privates of the 1st Battalion, the Royal Anglian Regiment, were killed and two others were severely injured. It was later revealed that the British forward air controller who called in the strike had not been issued a noise-cancelling headset, and while he supplied the correct target co-ordinates, in the confusion and stress of the battle incorrectly confirmed one wrong digit mistakenly repeated by the pilot, and the bomb landed on the British position 1000 metres away from the enemy.[112] The coroner at the soldiers' inquest stated that the incident was due to "flawed application of procedures" rather than individual errors or "recklessness".[113]
  • British soldiers in operations in Helmand Province, Afghanistan, fired Javelin anti-tank missiles at Danish soldiers from the Royal Life Guards, killing two.[114] It is also confirmed from Danish forces that the British fired a total of 6–8 Javelin missiles, over a 1½ hour period and only after the attack was completed did they realize that the missiles were British, based upon the fragments found after the incident.[115]
  • On 12 January 2008, two Dutch soldiers and two allied Afghan soldiers were shot dead by fellow Dutch soldiers inUruzgan, Afghanistan.[116]
  • In the night on 14 January 2008 in Helmand Province, British troops saw some Afghans "conducting suspicious activities". Visibility was too bad for rifle-fire and they were too far away to call in mortar strikes. The squad decided to use a Javelin anti-tank missile they were carrying. British soldiers fired their missile on the nearby roof but the victims were their own Afghan army sentries. One Afghan soldier was killed.[117]
  • On 9 July 2008, nine British soldiers from the 2nd Battalion, The Parachute Regiment were injured after being fired upon by British Army Apache helicopter while on patrol in Afghanistan.[118]
  • A statement issued jointly by the American and the Afghan military commands said a contingent of Afghan police officers fired on United States forces on 10 December 2008 after the Americans had successfully overrun the hide-out, killing the suspected Taliban commander and detaining another man. The US forces after securing the hideout came under heavy small arms fire and explosive grenades from the Afghan Police forces. "Multiple attempts to deter the engagement were unsuccessful," and the US forces returned fire. Afghan police have stated that they came under fire first and that the initial firing on the US forces came from the building next to the police station. This has led the US forces to conclude that the Afghan police forces might have been compromised. Initial reports indicate that this was a tragic case of mistaken identity on both parts.[119]
  • Captain Tom Sawyer, aged 26, 29 Commando Regiment Royal Artillery, and Corporal Danny Winter, aged 28, Zulu Company 45 Commando Royal Marines, were killed by an explosion on 14 January 2009. Both men were taking part in a joint operation with a Danish Battle Group and the Afghan National Army in a location north east of Gereshk in central Helmand Province. The MoD subsequently confirmed that two men died from friendly fire when they were hit in error by a Javelin anti-tank missile fired by British troops.[120]
  • A British Military Police officer was shot dead by a fellow British soldier while on patrol.[121] It was reported that no charges are to be brought against a British army sniper who killed a British Military Policeman because he was allowed to open fire if he believed that his life was in danger.[122]
  • Lance Corporal Christopher Roney from 3rd Battalion The Rifles was shot and killed by a U.S. Apache helicopter during a firefight with the Taliban in December 2009. The incident happened when a firefight was going on between British soldiers of 3rd Battalion The Rifles and the insurgents in Sangin Province. Senior British officers were watching a drone'sgrainy images of the fight from Camp Bastion, about 30 miles from the battle at Patrol Base Almas. The officers mistook the soldiers' mud-walled compound for an enemy position and called down a U.S. Apache airstrike on the base. Roney was fatally shot in the head after a helicopter gunship opened fire on the base. He died later the next day after being taken to Camp Bastion. Eleven other British soldiers were wounded in the attack. The coroner criticised the British commanders for the fact Patrol Base Almas was not marked on military maps, for the 'unprofessional' use of grainy images and for insisting there were no friendly forces in the area to the Apache crew.[123]
  • German soldiers killed six Afghan soldiers in a friendly fire incident on their way to attack a group of Taliban. Afghan soldiers were traveling in support of other Afghan troops in the area. The German Patrol opened fire killing six.[124]
  • Sapper Mark Antony Smith, age 26, of the 36 Engineer Regiment, Royal Engineers, was killed by a smoke shell fired upon by British troops in Sangin Province, Afghanistan. The MoD is investigating his death and said a smoke shell, designed to provide cover for soldiers working on the ground, may have fallen short of its intended target.[125][126]
  • Friendly fire between ISAF and Pakistan on 26 November 2011. ISAF forces opened fire on Pakistani forces killing 24 Pakistani soldiers and causing a great diplomatic standoff between U.S. and Pakistan. ISAF forces argue they were there to hunt down militants at the AF-PAK border. Pakistan had stopped transit of goods through its territory to ISAF in Afghanistan because of the incident. After an official apology by US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton on 3 July 2012 the NATO supply routes were restored.
  • Two New Zealand soldiers were wounded by friendly fire from a 25mm gun mounted on an armored LAV during a 12 minute firefight with insurgents in Bamyan Province on 4 August 2012.[127][128]
  • A British female soldier and a Royal Marine was mistakenly killed by another British unit on patrol after her unit opened fire on an Afghan policeman assuming he was a Taliban insurgent. The British unit who killed a female soldier and a Royal Marine assumed they were under attack after the firing happened.[129]
  • Five United States Special forces operatives, an Afghan Army counterpart, and an interpreter were killed by friendly fire in Southern Zabul Province on June 9, 2014. Whilst on patrol, and coming under heavy Taliban fire, an air-strike was called in and a B-1 Lancer bomber misdirected its payload killing the seven military pesonnel amongst others.[130][131]

Iraq War from 2003[edit]
Sorry, your browser either has JavaScript disabled or does not have any supported player.
You can
Video of the 28 March 2003 friendly fire incident, showing errors of identification
  • In the Battle of Nasiriyah, an American force of Amphibious Assault Vehicles (AAVs) and infantry under intense enemy fire were misidentified as an Iraqi armored column by two U.S. Air Force A-10s who carried out bombing and strafing runs on them. One U.S. Marine was killed and 17 were wounded as a result.
  • A U.S. Patriot missile shot down a British Panavia Tornado GR.4A of No. 13 Squadron RAF, killing the pilot and navigator. Investigations showed that the Tornado's identification friend or foe indicator had malfunctioned and hence it was not identified as a friendly aircraft.[132][133]
  • Sgt Steven Roberts, a tank commander of the 2nd Royal Tank Regiment, was killed when a fellow British soldier manning a tank-mounted machine gun mistakenly hit him while firing at a stone wielding Iraqi protester at a roadblock inAz Zubayr near Basra on 24 March 2003.[134] It was reported that no British soldiers were to be charged for his death.[135]
  • A British Challenger 2 tank came under fire from another British tank in a nighttime firefight. The turret was blown off and two of the crewmembers were killed.[136][137]
  • 190th Fighter Squadron/Blues and Royals friendly fire incident – 28 March 2003. A pair of American A-10s from the 190th attacked four British armoured reconnaissance vehicles of the Blues and Royals, killing L/CoH. Matty Hull and injuring five others.
  • British Royal Marine Christopher Maddison was killed when his river patrol boat was hit by missiles after being wrongly identified as an enemy vessel approaching a Royal Engineers checkpoint on the Al-Faw Peninsula, Iraq.[138]
  • U.S. Patriot missile batteries fired two missiles on a U.S. Navy F/A-18C Hornet 50 mi (80 km) from Karbala, Iraq.[139] One missile hit the aircraft of pilot Lieutenant Nathan Dennis White of VFA-195, Carrier Air Wing Five, killing him. This was the result of the missile design flaw in identifying hostile aircraft.[140]
  • American aircraft attacked a friendly Kurdish & U.S. Special Forces convoy, killing 15. BBC translator Kamaran Abdurazaq Muhamed was killed and BBC reporter Tom Giles and World Affairs Editor John Simpson were injured. The incident was filmed.[141]
  • Fusilier Kelan Turrington, of the 1st Battalion, Royal Regiment of Fusiliers, was killed by machine-gun fire from a British tank.[142]
  • American soldier Mario Lozano killed an Italian intelligence officer Nicola Calipari and is suspected of wounding Italian journalist Giuliana Sgrena in Baghdad. Sgrena was rescued from a kidnapping by Calipari, and it was claimed that the car they were escaping in failed to stop at an American checkpoint, whereupon U.S. soldiers opened fire. Video evidence shows the car was respecting speed limits and proceeding with its headlights on. The shooting commenced well before 50 meters, in contrast with what Lozano and other soldiers testified.[143]
  • During a raid on 16 July 2006 to apprehend a key terrorist leader and accomplice in a suburb of North Basra, Cpl John Cosby, of the Devonshire and Dorset Regiment, was killed by a 5.56 mm round from a British-issued SA80. It was ruled to be a case of friendly fire by the coroner. It was reported that the British forces who shot him were unclear about the rules of engagement.[144][145]
  • An American airstrike killed eight Kurdish Iraqi soldiers. Kurdish officials advised U.S. helicopters hit the men who were guarding a branch of the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan (PUK) in Mosul. The U.S. military said the attack was launched after soldiers identified armed men in a bunker near a building reportedly used for bomb-making, and that American troops called for the men to put down their weapons in Arabic and Kurdish before launching the strike.[146]
  • Dave Sharrett, II was shot and killed in a firefight with insurgents near the village of Bichigan, north of Baghdad in January 2008, during Operation Hood Harvest. The incident has since been described as friendly fire.[147]

Here are some more.

List of U.S. friendly-fire incidents since 1945 with British victims - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gulf War[edit]
War in Afghanistan[edit]
  • 5 December 2006: Marine Jonathan Wigley's death was caused by gunfire from a U.S. F-18 aircraft.[4]
  • July 2007: British Guardsman Matthew Lyne-Pirkis, of the Grenadier Guards, was wounded along with three other allied soldiers of the Afghan National Army after being hit by gunfire from a U.S. Apache helicopter gunship.[5]
  • 23 August 2007: A bomb dropped by an F-15 killed three soldiers of the Royal Anglian Regiment and wounded a further two.[6] During the subsequent inquest, issues such as inadequate communication equipment and incorrect coordinates from a British forward air controller were raised.[7] The coroner finally stated it was down to the "flawed application of procedures" rather than individual errors or "recklessness".[8]
  • 21 December 2009: A British soldier was fatally shot by a US helicopter crew in Afghanistan who thought they were attacking an enemy base. Gunfire from the helicopters left 11 injured on the ground.[9] The coroner criticised the British commanders for the fact Patrol Base Almas was not marked on military maps, for the 'unprofessional' use of grainy images and for insisting there were no friendly forces in the area to the Apache crew.[10]
  • 5 December 2010: Private John Howard was killed by American troops after soldiers called for backup. Private Howard is understood to have died as the low-flying pilot attempted to strafe an enemy target with cannon fire.[11][12]
Iraq War[edit]

You don't even begin to know what you're talking about.

So then you're going with the theory of Israeli incompetence. The USS Liberty looked nothing like any Egyptian or Soviet ship, it would have been instantly recognizable to any trained military personnel, easily distinguished from any other type of vessel.
Really genius? How do you figure that?

The flag was not able to be seen as the testimony said because of the calm winds.

Israel was in an active war with Egypt, and the ship was off the Egyptian coast. The day before Israel was shelled from that area.

The ship was not supposed to be in that area.

What should have happened is that the US should have told Israel where the ship would be, and that way Israel would have the heads up.

The mistakes were made by the US.

Once again the transmissions as caught by a US spy plane of the Israeli pilots prove beyond a shadow of any doubt that Israel thought it was an Egyptian ship.
Consult your copy of Jane's Fighting Ships and compare USS Liberty with Egyptian and Soviet naval vessels. You can figure out how to do that can't you?
:poop::alcoholic:Yes, I am sure if the ships were in the dock side by side, and a person was looking at them whom is knowledgeable would know the difference between the ships.

Israel gets more money from us than anyone else in the form of direct military assistance. They are the junior partner in this relationship.
Egypt has gotten almost equal money, yet they also have hated America.

65% of Israel's economy is base on the military.
I believe over 90% of US military aid to Israel comes back to the US economy.
I simple cannot believe that a guy who touts himself as so knowledgeable doesn't know this basic fact.
Are you really that ignorant?

Forum List

Back