Other languages on the forum

Of course, I am for freedom of speech. But I am not sure that it should be allowed to write in Russian, for example, on the forum. Usually it's insults or something absolutely moronic. :)

I am ready to remove my signature in Russian, of course, too :)

I say go ahead and write in whatever language you want, just don't expect many to reply if it's not in American English because that is the language of the U.S. and this is the "U.S. Message Board".....

We have SEVERAL new foreign posters that have been contacted. It'll take awhile, but this will settle down.

Great, it's quite OK with me.

There is no point in insulting people in a language they can't understand.

Yes, but there is a point in insulting people who understand it and doing it in such a way that moderators and others don't understand it.
I saw a rude insult of a participant who knows Russian in Russian, that's why I opened this thread. I think that it's a mean trick.

And that's the point. YOU might not have the time or inclination to translate it. But USMB Moderation HAS to.. Otherwise, it's a ploy to get around the rules. And it's not really much of a pain. Having an open tab to a web translator -- is pretty simple..

Yeah, a good example :) In Russia it is considered really bad to say something about person's mother in such a style :) In reality if a male person say something like this you must hit him in the face.
`
:71: There was a Monty Python quote I was thinking of but couldn't remember it. So.....

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries...

Of course, I am for freedom of speech. But I am not sure that it should be allowed to write in Russian, for example, on the forum. Usually it's insults or something absolutely moronic. :)

젠장, 동지! 영어 만!

images

Nein! Nur deutsch. Das ist gut!

*****CHUCKLE*****

:)

Last edited:
I say go ahead and write in whatever language you want, just don't expect many to reply if it's not in American English because that is the language of the U.S. and this is the "U.S. Message Board".....

Yes, sure, but English is the international language (and I think that writing in the British or Canadian one will be OK too :) ) which enables all nations to communicate to each other. Imagine that groups of Italians, Russians, Chinese etc. discuss something in their native languages in every thread. Sure, you can put them on the ignore list, but what sense does such practice make? It's an English-speaking forum and indeeed it's the 'US Message Board'. So I think that if foreigners come here it's much better if they speak English. Occasional Russian (or any other language) is OK when it's a quotation, for example, but I think that all discussions should be in English.

Yes, sure, but English is the international language (and I think that writing in the British or Canadian one will be OK too :) ) which enables all nations to communicate to each other. Imagine that groups of Italians, Russians, Chinese etc. discuss something in their native languages in every thread. Sure, you can put them on the ignore list, but what sense does such practice make? It's an English-speaking forum and indeeed it's the 'US Message Board'. So I think that if foreigners come here it's much better if they speak English. Occasional Russian (or any other language) is OK when it's a quotation, for example, but I think that all discussions should be in English.

I have a similar opinion with respect to official document, especially those related to voting.

If a poster uses another language, then they are just limiting the number of people who can participate in the discussion. Most of the people won't be participating because the vast majority of members are English speaking here.

젠장, 동지! 영어 만!

images

*****CHUCKLE*****

North Korea's national anthem! :p

젠장, 동지! 영어 만!

images

*****CHUCKLE*****

North Korea's national anthem! :p

South

Forum List

Back