Other languages on the forum

Comrade Johnson

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2017
Moscow, Russia
Of course, I am for freedom of speech. But I am not sure that it should be allowed to write in Russian, for example, on the forum. Usually it's insults or something absolutely moronic. :)

I am ready to remove my signature in Russian, of course, too :)

Johnson, My cousin took Russian in high school. He would tell me what he learned at lunch time. He told me the next time I saw the teacher to say, and I am typing this phonetically> "dough brie nitz".
Judging from the look on the teacher's face, it did NOT mean, "See ya later!" I ran to my locker.

That teacher came from Russia. His mama used to call him, again phonetically, "Bunyoul". So everyone else called him that too. I asked him years later what Bunyoul meant and he laughed and said it was a term of endearment. What does it mean exactly?

Dobry is good, no"tz" (noc) in Czech is night, but Czechs would say dobroo notz (dobrou noc). Slavic languages have many words in common of course.

Maybe. What ever I said to him didn't seem to go over well. He looked at me like, "I can't believe you just said that to me!"
My dad was in Las Vegas on an R&R from WW2, and all of a sudden he heard, "BUNYOUL!" and knew that Nick was there.
I would ask him but he has since passed. What a good guy he was.

Of course, I am for freedom of speech. But I am not sure that it should be allowed to write in Russian, for example, on the forum. Usually it's insults or something absolutely moronic. :)

I bet i know who you are talking about lol

There is an official policy to require English. And I realize that's a high bar for foreigners who just want to talk with Americans.. We really appreciate the Global connections and their efforts to discuss in English.

We have SEVERAL new foreign posters that have been contacted. It'll take awhile, but this will settle down.

And we have translators available to read the insults. :113: That's one of big reasons for English only on the website. Some insults don't translate all that well.. :coffee:

There is an official policy to require English. And I realize that's a high bar for foreigners who just want to talk with Americans.. We really appreciate the Global connections and their efforts to discuss in English.

We have SEVERAL new foreign posters that have been contacted. It'll take awhile, but this will settle down.

And we have translators available to read the insults. :113: That's one of big reasons for English only on the website. Some insults don't translate all that well.. :coffee:
There is no point in insulting people in a language they can't understand.

I would have to try really hard to be offended by something written in a foreign language I don't know or have no desire to translate.

If I am eating at a restaurant in Russia, Germany or wherever ... I would go through the trouble of translating what I could.
Otherwise ... I am not concerned about insults that are gibberish.

???

Why?

`
Or, people can use "Rot13" to hide punchlines, spoilers and if need be, insults. It's a simple cut-n-paste cipher. Useful when employed in moderation. For example; Tvir zr zbarl sbe ab ernfba.

Great, it's quite OK with me.

There is no point in insulting people in a language they can't understand.

Yes, but there is a point in insulting people who understand it and doing it in such a way that moderators and others don't understand it.
I saw a rude insult of a participant who knows Russian in Russian, that's why I opened this thread. I think that it's a mean trick.

Forum List

Back