OSU athletic director slams HUGE coach salaries in "AMATEUR" college football

Why should they have to skip college? Why can't colleges simply pay their student athletes if those athletes are bringing a bunch of revenue to the school?

If you are going to pay, then why go to college. You can make more in the pros, then you would have millions to go to college later. Just skip the college and make the big money.

The vast majority of college athletes do not go pro. There is a limited amount of space in the professional leagues.

That's not even the point, though. Some colleges make a lot of money off of their athletes. Why shouldn't those athletes get paid if they are going to bring in so much revenue?

I have no issue with it, I think they shouldn’t be forced to play college before they can go pro, it’s not fair to limit a person’s income. So, pay them for college but allow the good players to go pro out of the gate.

I think that is about the NFL, rather than colleges. The NFL has rules about how young players can enter the league.

Could be, I’m not sure either.

I looked it up. Non-college players must wait 4 years after graduating high school (or the class they entered high school with graduates), college players have a few different possible scenarios for eligibility.

https://www.nflregionalcombines.com/Docs/Eligibility Rules.pdf

I only know for sure about Alabama. Bryant Denny Stadium is owned and maintained by the university.

I don't know anything about Alabama. With these salaries my wonder is how long before Bryant Denny Stadium becomes something like Hyundai Stadium and tradition getting tossed a bone by naming its turf Bryant Denny Field?

I only know for sure about Alabama. Bryant Denny Stadium is owned and maintained by the university.

Your stadium cost hundreds of millions of 2018 dollars. The last of a dozen expansions was $66 million 8 years ago. Your stadium costs million of dollars per year to maintain. But, it's owned by the university. And, the university probably pays all these bills with taxpayer money, as well as the millions of dollar in free tuition for the football and other teams.

The football program itself probably nets the university millions of dollars per year, revenues minus the cost of operating the team, but without regard to all the other millions in the first paragraph.

Are they not now?

Each individual situation would have to be looked at, but if a student is part of the invention of something which goes on to be patented, then makes money, I would imagine they are legally entitled to a portion of the income. Unless the students sign some sort of waiver going into whatever course/program the patent arises from, I don't see why they would not be paid. I don't think you can get away with not paying an inventor because they are an 'amateur'. :dunno:

Is that sort of situation common?

E.g. in 2016, the University of California was granted 505 patents. I've never heard of students being paid for their contributions, beyond free rides. There's no legal entitlement for payment when you invent under the umbrella of someone else. They own the patent, not you.

Are they not now?

Each individual situation would have to be looked at, but if a student is part of the invention of something which goes on to be patented, then makes money, I would imagine they are legally entitled to a portion of the income. Unless the students sign some sort of waiver going into whatever course/program the patent arises from, I don't see why they would not be paid. I don't think you can get away with not paying an inventor because they are an 'amateur'. :dunno:

E.g. in 2016, the University of California was granted 505 patents. I've never heard of students being paid for their contributions, beyond free rides. There's no legal entitlement for payment when you invent under the umbrella of someone else. They own the patent, not you.

I don't really know anything about patent law.

And the idea that amateur athletics should have amateur coaches is ridiculous. .

I'm typing this very slowly in the hopes you will understand. Amateur means no pay and that applies to players and coaches.

Why should they have to skip college? Why can't colleges simply pay their student athletes if those athletes are bringing a bunch of revenue to the school?

Because that would be admitting college is just a minor league for the pros and fans don't follow minor leagues.

And the idea that amateur athletics should have amateur coaches is ridiculous. .

I'm typing this very slowly in the hopes you will understand. Amateur means no pay and that applies to players and coaches.

Amateur athletes are those who do not get paid for participating in their sports. They can be amateur athletes even if their coaches are professional.

Many universities own very profitable patents. If football players are paid, shouldn't the students who contribute to those patents also be paid?

Are they not now?

It depends on the contract. Many places fund the research in exchange for ownership of any patents.

Your stadium cost hundreds of millions of 2018 dollars. The last of a dozen expansions was $66 million 8 years ago. Your stadium costs million of dollars per year to maintain. But, it's owned by the university. And, the university probably pays all these bills with taxpayer money, as well as the millions of dollar in free tuition for the football and other teams.

The football program itself probably nets the university millions of dollars per year, revenues minus the cost of operating the team, but without regard to all the other millions in the first paragraph.

The football program does net millions of dollars for the university. The expansions provide more ticket sales as part of that income. The most recent itemized list I have seen showed revenues of $34 million from ticket sales alone. The last figure I saw for money returned to the UA was almost $10 million returned to the university general fund.

No, it does not. Amateur athletics only means the players are not paid. Unless you would care to show a link for any major amateur athletic system which doesn't pay the coaches & staff. Even the smallest athletic teams (swimming, rowing, cross country ect) pays the coaches and staff. They are part of the University faculty.

Because that would be admitting college is just a minor league for the pros and fans don't follow minor leagues.

If you want to see it as NFL minor leagues, so be it. But since, in the best situations, 10% to 12% make the pros, and most places having far less than that, college football is its own sporting event.

[

The reason I brought up the Olympics is because of your incredibly ignorant comment showing you think the coaches of amateur athletes are supposed to be amateurs too. They aren't.

And i'm right about that. Coaches should NOT be paid in amateur sports anymore than the athletes should be. I realize that is not how it's done and that needs to change.

The real answer is to end sports programs at colleges. College is for learning not entertainment. No sports and no liberal arts nonsense either. College should teach STEM only. THINK
Fatcats Love Mice

STEM is for suckers. Spending years childishly and slavishly working without pay in college sets them up to be mercilessly exploited by the Low-IQ economic bullies who own and run corporations.

They do not get the full cost of schooling which is pretty sad considering what they bring to the University. I have to think about Curtis Enous as he had to sit out his final bowl game because some one bought him a suit to wear at the Heisman ceromoney. I worked with his mother at the state. For all he did for his college a simple cheap suite should not be to much to ask. I do not think they should be given millions but enough to live off of while at school at least!

If the coaches get millions, why shouldn't the star players? THINK

If college players get paid, it won't be like the NFL where the stars make more. It will be more like a stipend. And even across the board.

They already get per diem from the university, it isn’t much; however, it is more than those that actually pay for an education.
A Seed Doesn't Grow in Sand

Think. Why should the talented be forced to sacrifice? Business and society need them more than they need to become Cash Cows for Corporate Cowboys.

Are they not now?

I don't really know anything about patent law.
Plute Loot

The rule of law is the law of the rulers. Patent law is grand larceny by wolf investors against sheep inventors.

Never heard of a student getting paid patent money for anything they come up with as a research student. I have heard of some being hired on with the company that owns the patent (gatorade is a good example) after, but that's no different than great players in college being able to find NFL jobs.

Also, who do you pay? not many football teams make money, and lets be honest, of the ones that do, you can count a dozen players that really make a difference for them. Do you not pay the female sports teams, or basically anything other than some football teams and mens basketball teams?

Do you make the rest of the student athletes pay their own way? I read where a division I football scholarship averages $46,000 a year. THat's right where the XFL was. That's more than AAA baseball, Development league NBA, or any other minor league football league comes close to paying.

And I'm sure if you take that Alabama job, with Saban and his staff, their facilities, etc, you are much more likely to make it to the NFL, rather than playing in the FXFL, or whatever paying league you'd want to try out.

The football program does net millions of dollars for the university. The expansions provide more ticket sales as part of that income. The most recent itemized list I have seen showed revenues of $34 million from ticket sales alone. The last figure I saw for money returned to the UA was almost $10 million returned to the university general fund.

The construction cost spread out over time, plus maintenance, probably exceeds $10million/year. It would be nice to see a brief, full accountability of costs and revenue.

Forum List

Back