OSU athletic director slams HUGE coach salaries in "AMATEUR" college football

They do not get the full cost of schooling which is pretty sad considering what they bring to the University. I have to think about Curtis Enous as he had to sit out his final bowl game because some one bought him a suit to wear at the Heisman ceromoney. I worked with his mother at the state. For all he did for his college a simple cheap suite should not be to much to ask. I do not think they should be given millions but enough to live off of while at school at least!

If the coaches get millions, why shouldn't the star players? THINK

If college players get paid, it won't be like the NFL where the stars make more. It will be more like a stipend. And even across the board.

They already get per diem from the university, it isn’t much however it is more than those that actually pay for an education.

[

The reason I brought up the Olympics is because of your incredibly ignorant comment showing you think the coaches of amateur athletes are supposed to be amateurs too. They aren't.

And i'm right about that. Coaches should NOT be paid in amateur sports anymore than the athletes should be. I realize that is not how it's done and that needs to change.

The real answer is to end sports programs at colleges. College is for learning not entertainment. No sports and no liberal arts nonsense either. College should teach STEM only. THINK

Jeez, you have become a real jerk lately. Not long ago you were excited about the Big10s bowl season. Now you want to kill it all?

Luckily, you don't get a say in the matter. The boosters who donate money to the universities want football to continue. The power programs are making money from athletics. The fact that you and some AD don't like the coaches making so much money is laughable. Those high paid coaches why WHY their programs are doing so well.

And the idea that amateur athletics should have amateur coaches is ridiculous. Unless you are talking Little League, the coaches and trainers in almost all amateur athletics are paid. You expect knowledgeable coaches who can motivate athletes to do it for nothing? Don't be daft.

[

The reason I brought up the Olympics is because of your incredibly ignorant comment showing you think the coaches of amateur athletes are supposed to be amateurs too. They aren't.

And i'm right about that. Coaches should NOT be paid in amateur sports anymore than the athletes should be. I realize that is not how it's done and that needs to change.

The real answer is to end sports programs at colleges. College is for learning not entertainment. No sports and no liberal arts nonsense either. College should teach STEM only. THINK

I notice you keep ignoring all the positives of having a quality head coach, which results in a winning program. I guess that ruins your argument, doesn't it?

So the university recruits a kid, tells them they will pay for the kids education, teach them how to play a sport, the kid agrees that he will not be paid cash but in the form of an education and this is now not a good deal for a the student who may not have a way to college to begin with?

So the university recruits a kid, makes millions upon millions of dollars through his work for the college's sports program, sells merchandise using the kid's name and likeness, college sports is a multi-billion dollar industry, coaches make millions, but by labeling the kids 'amateur', the college can avoid actually paying the student. They get scholarships? That's great. That doesn't come close to matching what the star athletes, the kids at the big schools, bring in in money for their universities. But, because they are 'amateur' athletes, they don't get paid based on their value; they don't get paid at all.

I don't mind college coaches getting paid. They help bring in big bucks to their schools. I just find the idea that college athletes can't be paid because of some sort of 'integrity of the game' rationale to be a load of BS. :dunno:

So the university recruits a kid, tells them they will pay for the kids education, teach them how to play a sport, the kid agrees that he will not be paid cash but in the form of an education and this is now not a good deal for a the student who may not have a way to college to begin with?

So the university recruits a kid, makes millions upon millions of dollars through his work for the college's sports program, sells merchandise using the kid's name and likeness, college sports is a multi-billion dollar industry, coaches make millions, but by labeling the kids 'amateur', the college can avoid actually paying the student. They get scholarships? That's great. That doesn't come close to matching what the star athletes, the kids at the big schools, bring in in money for their universities. But, because they are 'amateur' athletes, they don't get paid based on their value; they don't get paid at all.

I don't mind college coaches getting paid. They help bring in big bucks to their schools. I just find the idea that college athletes can't be paid because of some sort of 'integrity of the game' rationale to be a load of BS. :dunno:

I agree, they should all be allowed to go pro at 18, skip college if they want, they are wasting their money making years. The NFL should just start drafting high school students.

I agree that there should be some way to pay the college students. My son made money while he was in school and on a scholarship. His was an academic scholarship and he made money doing research in his field.

I agree, they should all be allowed to go pro at 18, skip college if they want, they are wasting their money making years. The NFL should just start drafting high school students.

Why should they have to skip college? Why can't colleges simply pay their student athletes if those athletes are bringing a bunch of revenue to the school?

Why should they have to skip college? Why can't colleges simply pay their student athletes if those athletes are bringing a bunch of revenue to the school?

If you are going to pay, then why go to college. You can make more in the pros, then you would have millions to go to college later. Just skip the college and make the big money.

If you are going to pay, then why go to college. You can make more in the pros, then you would have millions to go to college later. Just skip the college and make the big money.

The vast majority of college athletes do not go pro. There is a limited amount of space in the professional leagues.

That's not even the point, though. Some colleges make a lot of money off of their athletes. Why shouldn't those athletes get paid if they are going to bring in so much revenue?

The vast majority of college athletes do not go pro. There is a limited amount of space in the professional leagues.

That's not even the point, though. Some colleges make a lot of money off of their athletes. Why shouldn't those athletes get paid if they are going to bring in so much revenue?

I have no issue with it, I think they shouldn’t be forced to play college before they can go pro, it’s not fair to limit a person’s income. So, pay them for college but allow the good players to go pro out of the gate.

The situation reminds me of this video of the Connecticut basketball coach answering a question about his huge salary.

What I dislike is that lack of freedom players have to transfer schools meanwhile coaches go their own way all the time.

The situation reminds me of this video of the Connecticut basketball coach answering a question about his huge salary.

What I dislike is that lack of freedom players have to transfer schools meanwhile coaches go their own way all the time.

Does team revenue pay to build and maintain the stadium? If not, then the 12 million the school allegedly profits is BS.

Does team revenue pay to build and maintain the stadium? If not, then the 12 million the school allegedly profits is BS.

It is a public college and so that's up to the state's Board of Regents, I can only guess that the men's and women's basketball programs supports the stadium. Unlike professional teams that threaten to leave if a new facility isn't provided to them every 20 years, the college teams are stuck with what they have. I looked up Connecticut's arena and it was built 28 years ago for $28 million. That video was uploaded back in 2009 and so that $12 million must have grown a good bit since then, yet they're still playing in the same old place.

Not sure of the update and maintenance cost. The team's a money producer that probably not only supports the facility but also the facilities used by other non-income producing sports such as woman's softball and such.

Part of the problem is that many colleges cannot afford a big name coach. Without a top level head coach, they won't get the players. If players are paid, is it a standard pay across the entire FBS roster, or would each school be able to bid on players?

I only know for sure about Alabama. Bryant Denny Stadium is owned and maintained by the university.

Many universities own very profitable patents. If football players are paid, shouldn't the students who contribute to those patents also be paid?

Are they not now?

Each individual situation would have to be looked at, but if a student is part of the invention of something which goes on to be patented, then makes money, I would imagine they are legally entitled to a portion of the income. Unless the students sign some sort of waiver going into whatever course/program the patent arises from, I don't see why they would not be paid. I don't think you can get away with not paying an inventor because they are an 'amateur'. :dunno:

Is that sort of situation common?

I have no issue with it, I think they shouldn’t be forced to play college before they can go pro, it’s not fair to limit a person’s income. So, pay them for college but allow the good players to go pro out of the gate.

I think that is about the NFL, rather than colleges. The NFL has rules about how young players can enter the league.

I think that is about the NFL, rather than colleges. The NFL has rules about how young players can enter the league.

Could be, I’m not sure either.

Part of the problem is that many colleges cannot afford a big name coach. Without a top level head coach, they won't get the players. If players are paid, is it a standard pay across the entire FBS roster, or would each school be able to bid on players?

That is a good question. If pay is different for each school, it could make recruiting even more lopsided than it is now.

Forum List

Back