Oregon Bakers: You get to pay 135,000 for being radical religious morons, Judge so orders!

Those bakers should have baked that stupid cake and put ground up glass in it. Or strychnine.

No Hossfly that's illegal
the bakers should have either
1. contracted the work out to other subcontractors whose beliefs wouldn't be violated
2. required all customers and clients to sign waivers in advance agreeing to
consensus and mediation to resolve any disputes, or else agreeing not to do business together if such conflicts cannot be resolved by consensus between both parties (similar to an arbitration waiver, but citing mediation and conflict resolution to avoid legal costs)
Wouldn’t “1” have ended with the same result?

If the couple didn’t know about the subcontract?

Pop23 by same result, do you mean the customers still suing
or do you mean they would still get the cake they want without the conflict obstructing it?

Either way is possible
a. the customers still could have sued if the business said those
remarks they considered harassment or discrimination
b. but as long as the business tried to accommodate the customers
I doubt any lawsuit would go through. For example if I only sew
wedding dresses, and some customer asks me can I also sew
the Tux for the groom or best man. I could say sorry I don't do Tuxes,
but I can hire out that work to someone who can and add it in if you'd like.

So that isn't refusing the business, but hiring subcontractors to do specialized work
that the regular business doesn't do.

What went wrong here, in addition to failing at public accommodation,
is the business owner made those remarks.

I know someone who said something sexist about not hiring women
at the job site because it distracts the men on the job. That's discriminatory to say that.

You have to find a legal way to select the workers you want or don't want on the job,
but can't state something that violates laws or policies.

So that's why I recommend option 2:
From the very start, require customers to sign arbitration or mediation waivers
in case of disputes (regardless of reason) to avoid legal action or costs,
and watch your language. Any dispute that you claim warrants as unresolved
and grounds for terminating business relation could be claimed, but I would
avoid stating any reasons like the ones above relating to sexist or other beliefs.

All businesses should be advised how to handle disputes to avoid lawsuits.
And have the waivers and documents drawn up by lawyers to make sure this is sound.

Online services have arbitration clauses that users sign onto when registering.
So if that can be done legally, there should be a way to put this in writing for
businesses to sign in advance with any customers before conducting business together as well!

No to be overly argumentative, but it would seem that neither solutions work.

1. Subcontracting is simply not complying with the laws intent. It would be like a restaurant owner telling a black man he can’t eat in his place, but he’ll pay the next burger joint to feed him.

EVERYBODY DISCRIMINATES, in one form or the other, even self proclaimed nihilists. An overwhelming majority of society DISCRIMINATES against theft. Nobody wants to be stolen from. However there are certain types of theft that some justify. Take for example of someone stealing a can of soup at the store to feed their starving family. Let’s apply that to a larger scale, how about using government to disproportionately tax the rich to give to the poor? Many people justify that as fair. There are certain sects of the population who think that if you were to leave your door unlocked or you car unlocked with valuables out in the open for everyone to see, you deserve to get stolen from.

What the first amendment does is it gives the individual the power over the government, to choose, follow, and practice/excercise what they believe, as long as that doesn’t involve hurting or stealing from others. A Jew cannot be forced to eat pork, a Muslim cannot be limited to prayer whithin their home, an atheist cannot be required to vow on a bible, or “swear to god.” Just because YOU do not like or agree with these practices, doesn’t mean YOU can use government to force people to violate these practices.

The BOR is the SUPREME law of the land. I will post the first amendment again. I’m sorry you don’t like it, and want to force your beliefs onto those you accuse of forcing their beliefs on others...but be consistent. If you’re not consistent, YOURE GIVING GOVERNMENT THE POWER TO DISCRIMINATE. Making these bakers bake a cake for a ceremony they are religiously opposed to IS DISCRIMINATION. What you are saying is that their beliefs matter less than those of the lesbian couple, that they offered other baking products not dealing with a gay marriage, and the couple who could’ve went to any other baker. In fact their beliefs matter so much more less, that government is not only going to force the cake to baked, but force the bakers to pay 135,000$ because of how much we discriminate against their beliefs...people have a right to their beliefs, and should be able to exercise those beliefs as long as they are not hurting or stealing from others.

“Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.”

This is a clear violation of the first amendment. You cannot cherry pick the parts of the first amendment you like and ignore the ones you don’t like...THAT IS OPPOSITE OF FREEDOM OF SPEECH, what that is, is “I only want to hear/believe/practice what I like, and government should only allow that.” That’s fascism folks. Fascism is censorship and the coherision and forcing of beliefs, anti fascism is freedom of speech and the tolerance of views that you disagree with.

If the law justly applies to the public at large, even if it impedes some specific religious practice, the First Amendment doesn't mean that anyone with a conflicting religious belief can just ignore it. The First was never meant to give religious people special privileges. It's not a "get out of jail free" card. If your religion condones human sacrifice, it doesn't mean you can ignore laws against murder.

The question is whether the law justly applies to the public at large. Should anyone be required to serve someone else against their will, regardless of their reason for refusing? I would answer with an emphatic "No!".
I’ve never said that. What a crock of shit straw man argument. I even said, as long as your beliefs do not harm or kill people, government cannot force you to violate those beliefs. You have a right to a gay marriage, I or whoever else also have a right not to be forced to participate or serve in that ceremony.

AND NO YOU CANNOT IMPEDE A SPECIFIC RELIGOUS PRACTICE AS STATED BY THE FIRST in the very clear way that “CONGRESS SHALL MAKE NO LAW, respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.” Again this is the first amendment in the BOR, highest law of the land, specifically and very clearly telling the government what it CANNOT do. Because if it wasn’t that way, they’d have absolute power to discriminate against whatever popularly held societal belief was out there...just like they did with DOMA which was WRONG.

A Jew cannot be forced to work on the sabbath. But I don’t have to hire a Jew who can’t work on the sabbath if that’s a crucial day of work for my business. And if that Jew also believes gay marriage goes against gods “natural order” then he should NOT be forced to participate or serve in that wedding. That doesn’t mean you or I have to like or agree with his or her decision/beliefs, what it does mean THAT WE CANNOT FORCE HIM TO VIOLATE HIS SINCERELY HELD RELIGIOUS BELIEFS. Despite what you think is “the best interest of the public.” Just like we cannot force a Jehovah’s Witness to take a life saving blood transfusion. And if a Jehovah’s Witness wants his/her respective business to follow in what they believe god wants for them, then they should not be forced to participate in Holliday ceremonies/celebrations such as Christmas, Easter, birthday parties or whatever. That’s probably a bad business model, but it’s not the governments place to tell them otherwise.

By forcing Christians to violate their beliefs...YOU ARE DISCRIMINATING AGAINST CHRISTIANS. There was nothing stopping this couple from going to a different baker. The bakers were NOT stopping them from having their wedding, they simply wished to not do what they believed violated their beliefs.

That's a lotta caps. My point is that the law violates a far more fundamental freedom of association and conscience. We all have these rights, not just religious people.
I never said it didn’t...you seem to be in an argument with yourself. I even used the example of atheist should not be forced to swear on a bible. But usually religious people are the ones with these types of sincerely held beliefs that the rest of society may not hold. That doesn’t exclude non religious beliefs or motivations.

Right. But framing it as a freedom of religion issue implies that only religious beliefs should be protected. The baker shouldn't be forced to bake for anyone, in any circumstance, regardless of the reasons.
It it is a freedom of religion issue. That’s exactly what this is. And that’s what Congress is expressly told what not to do in the 1st A. That doesn’t mean it doesn’t extend to other sincerely held beliefs, but in this scenario it’s absolutely a freedom of religion issue

It it is a freedom of religion issue. That’s exactly what this is. And that’s what Congress is expressly told what not to do in the 1st A. That doesn’t mean it doesn’t extend to other sincerely held beliefs, but in this scenario it’s absolutely a freedom of religion issue

Right, but it's more than that. Arguing it as a freedom of religion issue is just arguing for a special exemption for (government approved) religious beliefs, and I think that's a mistake.

So someone can claim "religion" and then get to discriminate, right?

How did that work for Piggie Park Enterprises when they claimed a religious right to discriminate (Newman v. Piggie Park Enterprises) or when Bob Jones University claimed a religious right to discriminate (Bob Jones University v. United States)?

In approximately 21 States it is illegal to discriminate based on sexual orientation but in all 50 states it is illegal to discriminate based on religion. In other words in most States bakers can refuse service to gays, but in NO states can a baker refuse a Christian because of their religious views on same-sex marriage.

>>>>

How did that work for Piggie Park Enterprises when they claimed a religious right to discriminate (Newman v. Piggie Park Enterprises) or when Bob Jones University claimed a religious right to discriminate (Bob Jones University v. United States)?

In approximately 21 States it is illegal to discriminate based on sexual orientation but in all 50 states it is illegal to discriminate based on religion. In other words in most States bakers can refuse service to gays, but in NO states can a baker refuse a Christian because of their religious views on same-sex marriage.

>>>>
Like I stated before, I believe a gay baker should have a right to decline service to someone from the West-boro Baptist church. Property rights folks. If you don’t like who a business serves or refused service too...DONT SHOP THERE. It’s that simple.

Also I’ve never heard of a sincere belief that would bar someone from baking a cake for a Christian wedding...if that existed, then by all means they should be able too. The question is why are we using government to force people to go against their religious beliefs?? If a pro choice coffee shop business owner wants to refuse service to a pro-life group, he should be able too. That pro-life group shouldn’t sue, just go to a different freaking coffee shop! Why would you want service from someone who clearly disagrees with your beliefs that way? Leave it up to the rest of the people to decide whether or not they want to go to that coffee shop.

And we’re not just talking about the run of the mill service or product. This is an important piece in a wedding ceremony...if a gay couple comes across a particular vendor that doesn’t believe in gay marriage and doesn’t want to participate, then find another vendor, they’re all over the freaking place. Weddings are big business.

>>>>
And everybody continues to ignore the first amendment on this issue. It’s a pretty big one. I know defending the first means I have to defend slim balls rights to their point of view...but I do so because it is so important.

The threatening statements (inciting violence is a crime) are these:

• “Islam is dangerous – fact: the more muslim savages we allow into america – the more terror we will see -this is a fact which is undeniable.”
  • “Filthy muslim shit has no place in western civilization.”
One can argue the penalty should be civil, and this law is no doubt on track for the appeals courts.

Right, but it's more than that. Arguing it as a freedom of religion issue is just arguing for a special exemption for (government approved) religious beliefs, and I think that's a mistake.

How’d I get quoted on the above?

Tweren’t me folks

>>>>

Curious,

If the baker subcontracted the work out, to satisfy his religious beliefs (someone else created the cake and made the profit, the Baker is just the middleman) how would that sit under the PA laws?

>>>>
And everybody continues to ignore the first amendment on this issue. It’s a pretty big one. I know defending the first means I have to defend slim balls rights to their point of view...but I do so because it is so important.
No. Not everybody.

Did you bother to read the actual ruling.

The First Amendment is cited ...oh, about 200 times.

It might behoove you to give it a once-over: http://www.publications.ojd.state.or.us/docs/A159899.pdf

They wanted a custom made gay-themed cake. The bakery did not offer them. I have posted in this thread that the baker himself said they serve gay people.

They never got to design discussion, this is agreed to by the bakers in the Statement of Facts that they agreed to as part of the court proceedings.

You statement that they requested a "gay themed cake" is not born out by the facts.

I presented a sample cake from one of the bakers catalog in a previous post. The bakers would have made it and sold it to a different-sex couple but refused it for a same-sex couple. Since it's the exact same cake, what specifically in it's manufacture or design suddenly makes it "gay themed" when it's the same cake?

(The answer of course is that there is no difference in the Wedding Cake, the difference is who is ordering it.)

>>>>>
In a (very sad, yet quite comprehensive article) I read today that just punches ya in the gut with what these women have endured (re: the doxing, threats and terrorism right wingers have sent them on their phones and beyond...)

And how these women have given to the community and fostered special needs children - one with cerebral palsy, autism and a chromosomal disorder that causes developmental delays, and another with Asperger's and had stopped speaking after her mother died, and that during this nightmarish ordeal, one of the women developed cervical cancer - and, well, just heartbreaking....

The hate keeps coming: Pain lingers for lesbian couple denied in Sweet Cakes case

Anyway, one specific about the cake itself I learned, was they wanted Melissa's "'raspberry fantasy cake,'" a two-layer, white butter cake baked with raspberries and topped with white chocolate."

The same cake they had made for the mother - who is heterosexual - two years earlier.

A simple, two layer cake. As they were not well off, without a doubt, they just planned to pick it up. & the whole "the bakers had to attend the event" portion is just garbage.

Tweren’t me folks

Sorry about this Pop23 - I saw it too late to edit. Maybe a moderator can help us out.

Tweren’t me folks

Sorry about this Pop23 - I saw it too late to edit. Maybe a moderator can help us out.

Nothing to worry about. Stuff happens

Make me a sammich. Not that kind. The kind I want. Or face jail and a fine.

If your business offers custom made sandwiches, then you have to make what the customer requests. Unless he wants ingredients that you do not stock.

Beyond serving gays with equal access to everything he offers, what is his business required to do. You tell us.

That is exactly what the bakery had to do. And exactly what they did not. They refused to provide a wedding cake, a product they offer to everybody else.

They were looking for a specially made, custom baked cake. The bakery did not offer what they were looking for. To anyone.[/QUOTE]

Actually, they did offer custom designed wedding cakes. But more important, the discussion never even got to the point of whether the cake was to be custom designed, or selected from the bakery's catalog. Service was refused as soon as it was apparent that the couple was gay.

Curious,

If the baker subcontracted the work out, to satisfy his religious beliefs (someone else created the cake and made the profit, the Baker is just the middleman) how would that sit under the PA laws?

I would think it would be fine. The relationship is between the customer and the business. How the business supplies the product is irrelevant.

& the whole "the bakers had to attend the event" portion is just garbage.

Even that part is garbage. I worked for a caterer. Usually did 2 weddings every weekend. NEVER, had I attended the actual wedding. You show up at the reception hall HOURS before the reception to set up. In those cases where the bakery delivered the cake, they were long gone by the time the guests arrived.

& the whole "the bakers had to attend the event" portion is just garbage.

Even that part is garbage. I worked for a caterer. Usually did 2 weddings every weekend. NEVER, had I attended the actual wedding. You show up at the reception hall HOURS before the reception to set up. In those cases where the bakery delivered the cake, they were long gone by the time the guests arrived.
Thank you.

And in this case, it was likely just a backyard or home reception, as the couple were not well off.

I've been to 5 gay / lesbian weddings. Four were at the home of the couple/s - one was at a small hall.

Forum List

Back