Ordinary men on netflix

the watcher

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2016
Very timely, about how people can be manipulated by the state to do almost anything. Control of the narrative along with forced patriotism can and will replace personal moral values. Once groupthink is established it goes downhill very fast. Very relevant to what is happening in the world today.

I have this on my list.
I have read several books on Nazi development and is one of the key interests I have in the field of mass psychology.

I watched it this morning, it was OK though I can't say it revealed that much that I did not know already. Keying on one Battalion was a bit different.

It does go to show one thing is always true....A single death is a tragedy; a million deaths is a statistic.

Yes, just finished, and agree, it was okay, a low budget, but interesting look at a police battallion of "Ordinary men", most of whom could be convinced to kill women and children, the reasons too complex to try and explain here.

I read the book by Browning (of the same name) years ago. He is interviewed here.

How cool they interviewed the actual prosecutor from Nuremberg in 1947! Still had all his marbles, and just died this past April.

Germany in 1932 was in dire straits, mostly due to their own failed bid for world resources, and fell in love with a party that promised everything, and had early success. The nazis crushed opposition, took over industry and the media, started their global war of conquest and very nearly succeeded. We are one major bank fail away from being faced with decisions that the Germans faced, too horrible to contemplate. The US also was suffering in 1932 with the crash of Wall Street, and only the attack at Pearl Harbor gave us some direction, or it could have been us. We are turning into the monsters we claim to fight. Men can be conditioned to kill others if they are convinced that the others are inferior they hate them, and spreading hate is always a prelude to violence. Just turn the news on and you will see. That is what the director was trying to illustrate.

Forum List

Back