Optimism, Takes the Back Seat on Children

Lumpy 1

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2009
Parents are getting a little moody on their children's future according to this poll.

(Rasmussen Reports)
Sixty-two percent (62%) of American adults believe that today’s children will not be better off than their parents. The number holding that pessimistic perspective has increased from 53% in July and is up 15 points from 47% at the beginning of 2009.

I find myself generally in the optimistic camp on most things. Without playing the blame game, I find my optimism a little shakier over the last 3 years or so in regards to the countries future. The national debt, jobs, the terrorist threat, nut cases with nukes, dysfunctional state and federal governments and the list goes on and on.

I have two young adults that have flown the coop and another one soon on the way.( Why, when I was a kid we had to tunnel our way 5 miles to school, in the snow, just thought I'd throw that in) When I moved out on my own, you could screw up with money and bills but you had time to straighten it out and learn from your mistakes. You could switch jobs easily and try out different things.

Now, they have a harder time switching jobs or finding jobs at all. When the youngsters mess up on finances, their time for recovery is compressed and they simply get in deep trouble far more quickly than the past. My youngsters moved out a 18 but I hear many don't move out until much later.

The trend of our government to put things off, borrow on the future and wimp out on the hard decisions had better stop or I think this snap shot poll will end up the reality...:hmpf:

Last edited:
I worry about my own kids too Lumpy. My 19 year old will be taking 5 years to graduate and if he wants to go to grad school, we will prob. pay for that as well. I don't see the economy turning around for quite some time.

My younger son (16) is seriously considering West Point. I doubt if his grades are good enough to get in, but I would love to see him consider any of the military academies. At least he will have a job when he gets out.

I read that many young males are now living with their parents until they 30. AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!

I worry about my own kids too Lumpy. My 19 year old will be taking 5 years to graduate and if he wants to go to grad school, we will prob. pay for that as well. I don't see the economy turning around for quite some time.

My younger son (16) is seriously considering West Point. I doubt if his grades are good enough to get in, but I would love to see him consider any of the military academies. At least he will have a job when he gets out.

I read that many young males are now living with their parents until they 30. AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!

My guess is that the economy wont turn around for at least 3 years, home prices wont bottom out for 2 years and this recession is going to bump along the bottom for at least 2 to 3 years. After that the cycle will be in a positive direction and I'm optimistic that our young adults will be fine. Allot depends on how much the American people will allow Obama and the Democrats mess up the future of this country.

My son joined the Army after graduating high school. There is quite a few good training programs offered, he loves and hates the experience. He has 2 years to go and is considering joining the Air Force. If your son could get into West Point he'd pretty well be set but I'm not sure about the time obligation. Nice communicating with you..! :)

Forum List

Back