opinion

Do you have any idea of what our 'universe' would be like right now had there been an infintely present cosmos? Do you know how long forever is even with time and space being together.

With scientist's understanding today, an infinite universe would long ago have collapsed into nothingness or expanded to a large void with no mass, energy, time or us.

If just one of the laws of physics were to change only an infintesimal amount (without a watchmaker keeping everything in order) this universe we live in would no longer exist. In your opinion, what do you think keeps the laws fixed and maintaining the universe in a constant state instead of your chaos concept with no watchmaker?

Is there a constant that keeps things working or is there simply haphazard events that seem to stay in perfect alignment and order?

As i said no doubt a theory of the universe being infinite does propose many problems, but the need of a watchmaker is not necessary. You say that with an infinite universe, it would either expand infinitely or collapse, but you assume a dynamic and non-uniform universe. A stable and infinite universe needs only one thing and that is it needs to be uniform. It was the COBE satellite of the 90's that proved the non-uniformalities of temperature, thus further proving a dynamic universe, but hypothetically a infinite universe could exist were it uniform.

The idea of nothingness then comes existance of course must mean there is something 'above' us, that like Einstein said we cannot percieve. But an infinite universe with no beginning and no end is possible without a watchmaker. I know we don't live in infinite universe, i was just speaking hypothetically, i didn't know it would make a big deal.

Good for you but I can give you an alternative theory that explains much more than a philosophical or religious perspective that clears up so many things that are now considered unexplainable by the scientific community.

Example: What is on the other side of our universe and what does the border of the universe look like?
Thank you :) but what's the alternative theory?

Regarding the other side of the universe, remember no one knows, but i guess it depends whether you think of it as OUR universe or THE universe, which you just called OUR and i called THE, so that depends on believe on whether there are multiple universes inside a more grand universe. Super String Theory gets into that idea of mutliple universes that also seems to describe the big bang as a non-special event thus also introducing the problem of a grand universe without beginning nor end.

Regarding the border of the universe, you see there is no border of the universe. Imagine Earth, on our 3-D surface there is no border. Now imagine the universe, which can be finite yet without bounds by introducing higher dimensions, which when curved similar to Earths curvature, can simulate a universe without a border.

Originally posted by Man of 1951

As i said no doubt a theory of the universe being infinite does propose many problems, but the need of a watchmaker is not necessary. You say that with an infinite universe, it would either expand infinitely or collapse, but you assume a dynamic and non-uniform universe. A stable and infinite universe needs only one thing and that is it needs to be uniform. It was the COBE satellite of the 90's that proved the non-uniformalities of temperature, thus further proving a dynamic universe, but hypothetically a infinite universe could exist were it uniform.

The problem here is the stable universe theory that depends on non-uniformities of temperature. This proves nothing except that a dynamic universe which is rapidly expanding has now been pretty much accepted by the scientific community. Hypothetically a uniform universe is only as far as the eye can see. But with Hubble and other evidence now collected, the universe is neither stable nor uniform and thereby an infinite universe has been pretty well discounted.

The idea of nothingness then comes existance of course must mean there is something 'above' us, that like Einstein said we cannot percieve. But an infinite universe with no beginning and no end is possible without a watchmaker. I know we don't live in infinite universe, i was just speaking hypothetically, i didn't know it would make a big deal.

So you agree that your argument is moot.

Thank you :) but what's the alternative theory?

Regarding the other side of the universe, remember no one knows, but i guess it depends whether you think of it as OUR universe or THE universe, which you just called OUR and i called THE, so that depends on believe on whether there are multiple universes inside a more grand universe. Super String Theory gets into that idea of mutliple universes that also seems to describe the big bang as a non-special event thus also introducing the problem of a grand universe without beginning nor end.

Regarding the border of the universe, you see there is no border of the universe. Imagine Earth, on our 3-D surface there is no border. Now imagine the universe, which can be finite yet without bounds by introducing higher dimensions, which when curved similar to Earths curvature, can simulate a universe without a border.

My theory is really not mine but is being investigated by many reputable scientists around the world.

There are a few things that must be understood before this THEORY is comprehensible. You must be able to step out of the box so-to-speak and look at things from a different perspective much like Einstein did with his theories, the most notable of which was his theory of relativity. It is a bit different than you have been made aware of as yet. All the following statements are purely hypothetical and in the area of metaphysics.

1) You have to forget about anything called a universe and understand all the definitions of a dimension

2) You have to forget about all the known laws and quantities of physics such as gravity, photons, mass, velocity, space and all the other things that you are familiar with.

3) You have to forget about the uncertainty princples of QM

4) You have to perceive your own solid body reality only as your consciousness assumes it exists

5) You have to forget about any time/space relationships and think more in terms of infinities in timelessness (no past, present or future times)

6) You really have to forget about all the things you have previously understood as proven by observation and experimentation

7) You have to understand thoroughly the physics, properties and qualities of what is known about holographic images

It is very difficult to even contemplate these thought processes listed above.

If you are interested in this theory, give me a response so that I do not waste my time and effort.

My theory is really not mine but is being investigated by many reputable scientists around the world.

There are a few things that must be understood before this THEORY is comprehensible. You must be able to step out of the box so-to-speak and look at things from a different perspective much like Einstein did with his theories, the most notable of which was his theory of relativity. It is a bit different than you have been made aware of as yet. All the following statements are purely hypothetical and in the area of metaphysics.

1) You have to forget about anything called a universe and understand all the definitions of a dimension

2) You have to forget about all the known laws and quantities of physics such as gravity, photons, mass, velocity, space and all the other things that you are familiar with.

3) You have to forget about the uncertainty princples of QM

4) You have to perceive your own solid body reality only as your consciousness assumes it exists

5) You have to forget about any time/space relationships and think more in terms of infinities in timelessness (no past, present or future times)

6) You really have to forget about all the things you have previously understood as proven by observation and experimentation

7) You have to understand thoroughly the physics, properties and qualities of what is known about holographic images

It is very difficult to even contemplate these thought processes listed above.

If you are interested in this theory, give me a response so that I do not waste my time and effort.

I've read all about Einstein's theories and a lot about theoretical physics, old and new. I'd be glad to hear about this theory.
If you want maybe post the theories name or perhaps a link which i could read and i'll come back to discuss it with you. Which ever seems best.

Originally posted by Kathianne
How about giving Aquinas credit?

"Things are in motion, hence there is a first mover.
Things are caused, hence there is a first cause.
Things exist, hence there is a creator.
Perfect goodness exists, hence it has a source.
Things are designed, hence they serve a purpose."

http://members.aol.com/Philosdog/Aquinas.html

Thus begging the question of "Who created the creator?"

Again, the <i>a priori</i> reasoning used to reach Aquinas' conclusions provides us with no genuinely useful conclusions.

Lets' try this again...... We gather information. Humans gather information, that's what they do. some gather more than others.
None can gather all of it. As history has progressed more and more information is being archived to the extent that,( to quote James Burke )"if you have read about something that knowledge is obsolete"
It isn't hard to imagine then that considering the progress made since people thought that when you threw string in the corner it became worms to today when everyone can get an unsightly, painful tattoo to prove their individuality by looking alike; that eventually at the end of a closed universe,( remember dark matter), we will know everything .
That Omega Point as Frank Tipler describes it ,( in The Physics of Immortality"),is GOD.
We know this has happened. You are here , you're reading this. Science admits that a spontaneous generation of life is a mathematical, ( and therefore physical) impossibility.
So, we have a Creator.

GOD is. You is. He;(the metaphorical He. I sincerely believe we are created in His image, I just have not heard which part of the light spectrum we are being imaged in. Or what about us, aura, halo, pattern of motion bears that uncanny resemblance.
Its not circular. It is fact. So Behave! The 'ol and usually not judgemental Perfessor

Originally posted by Man of 1951

I've read all about Einstein's theories and a lot about theoretical physics, old and new. I'd be glad to hear about this theory.

If you want maybe post the theories name or perhaps a link which i could read and i'll come back to discuss it with you. Which ever seems best.

But the vicissitudes of a century of revelations in physics warn us not to be dogmatic. There could be more levels of structure in our universe than are dreamt of in today's physics.

Remember that there are so many questions that today's science are based on our brain's input data that cannot be answered in any coherent way other than theories such as the string theory, the expanding or contracting universe and the uncertainty of where particles at any one time and why particles seem to have the ability to communicate with each other across the so-called universe which violates Einstein's nothing can go faster than the speed of light photons premise. The following sites give only some of the possibilities that can explain all these things but you will have to think about an alternate out-of-the-box theory.

Go to the two following sites and if you would like, we can discuss the possibilities of this THEORY.

Article on this subject in Scientific American Journal

http://www.crystalinks.com/holouniverse1.html

or the same article with illustrations

http://www.umsl.edu/~altmanc/holographic.html
--------------------

http://perso.club-internet.fr/molaire1/e_quantic4.html#nonsep

There could be a point in a dimension (not universe) from which a giant hollograph is projected creating what appears to exist with all the known laws we assume are present. While instead of solid bodies and things, we exist in the form of some form of plasma or free will that perceives our universal reality. In other words we might live in a dimension of timelessness where only for a short perception of what call time, we experience this life cycle of ours and after what we know as death just continue on in the same timeless dimension but without the ability to perceive a solid state universe. In other words, nothing really dies but returns to another existence as part of some creation of that ole watchmaker everyone tries to avoid finding.

PROPERTIES OF HOLOGRAPHS: Holographs have many properties or behaviors that are absent in normal photographs. For example, a normal photograph produces a two-dimensional image, in which depth is merely inferred; the image produced by a holograph is three-dimensional and may appear to be as real as the original object.

With a normal photograph, there is a one-to-one correspondence between the points on the photograph and the image it contains. For example, in a photograph of a human being, the image of the head is recorded in one specific place or part of the photograph, and the image of the torso is recorded in a specific part of the photograph that corresponds to where we would expected it to be. The same is true for the arms, legs, etc. The part of the photograph that contains the head will always contain the head. The same is true for the rest of the body and photograph. The head always contains the head and nothing else. If the part of the photograph containing the head is cut off, the head is gone.

Holographs contain the entire photographed image throughout the entire holograph. If the holograph is cut into two pieces, each piece contains the entire image. Cutting it into three pieces produces three complete images. Four pieces produce four holographs, etc. The entire image is contained throughout the holograph in the wavy lines of the interference pattern. Due to the current state of holography, as the holograph is cut into more and more smaller and smaller pieces, the image begins to loose detail and clarity. It is believed that this loss is due to the materials used for holographs. Ideally, a holograph can be cut infinitely and still contain the entire image of the object.

This characteristic of holographs, their unusual relationship between the whole and its parts, suggests that information contained within the whole of a holograph is simultaneously shared with its parts. Albert Einstein's theory of relativity limits the exchange of energy, matter, or information to the speed of light. The more recent theory of quantum physics predicts that the exchange of energy, matter, and information throughout the universe is instantaneous, not limited by the speed of light. Recent technological developments in the field of physics supports the instantaneous exchange of information, which is consistent with a holographic model of the universe.

Another very interesting property of holographs is that an extremely large number of different images can be recorded on the same photographic plate without interfering with one another. Holographs can record and store an astounding number of separate holographic images if the angles of the reflected laser beams striking the film are changed. It is possible to record many different images on the same surface by slight changes in the angles of the beams. It has been demonstrated that one cubic centimeter of film can hold as many as 10 billion bits of information. The image that appears when the holograph is illuminated depends on which interference pattern is illumined. The choice of interference patterns is determined by characteristics of the illuminating laser beam such as its angle, depth, or frequency. The ability to store an almost infinite number of images or information in much the same space serves as a model for the storage of information in the human brain.
Holographs also allow images to mix or blend under certain circumstances, which also serves as a model for the human brain's creativity

Forum List

Back