Stem cell research

dilloduck

Diamond Member
May 8, 2004
Austin, TX
Seems to be a positive thing to me---I don't understand all the fear surrounding this research. Can anyone fill me in as to why this is opposed by so many?

Originally posted by dilloduck
Seems to be a positive thing to me---I don't understand all the fear surrounding this research. Can anyone fill me in as to why this is opposed by so many?

Why do you call it fear?

I can't see it as a fear issue.

1. It isn't necessary

2. It ends up making babies into "donator livestock".

Which of those is fear?

Which of those is false?

Why would anyone be dumb enough to support it except out of selfish justification of life preservation while justifying the taking of another?

There is nothing good about it.

Only the ignorant and selfish can support it.

Originally posted by NewGuy
Why do you call it fear?

1. It isn't necessary

Which of those is fear?

Which of those is false?

Why would anyone be dumb enough to support it except out of selfish justification of life preservation while justifying the taking of another?

So I know you like Reagan, but I guess you think Nancy is "ignorant and selfish."

Interesting.

Originally posted by nycflasher
So I know you like Reagan, but I guess you think Nancy is "ignorant and selfish."

Interesting.

Isn't that obvious?

She says herself in interviews she has always depended almost TOTALLY on him and that she almost cannot mentally function at all on her own.

Isn't that obvious?

She says herself in interviews she has always depended almost TOTALLY on him and that she almost cannot mentally function at all on her own.

wow.

Those who don't think taking the VERY beginnings of human life (Cells) into research for the cause of those who are already alive and who will be alive in the futeure can support it easily and righteously. Those who think the 'MAGIC' happens when a baby is first conceived get all pissy, those who realize the 'MAGIC' is already all around us see the common sense in it.

Why do you call it fear?

1. It isn't necessary

Which of those is fear?

Which of those is false?

1 Being able to vastly improve a persons life may not be necessary but seems like a good thing to me.

2 I thought stem cells can be obtained by means other than aborted fetuses.

3 I have heard that some people are afraid that the ultimate result could be human cloning and this frightens some people.

Originally posted by Gop guy
Sorry, brainfart.

happens...
pertains, good word.

some stem cell info from WebMD

Theoretically, virtually any disease could be treated by stem cells. Every disease that we know of happens because cells in the body either are not functioning right or because they are overwhelmed. So, for instance, after a heart attack, the muscle cells in the heart are not working properly and if they were replaced by normally functioning cells, your heart would be as good as new. In other diseases, your body has the ability to cure itself but it is overwhelmed. Stem cells can be used to create the cells in the body that are responsible for fighting these diseases and then putting them in the body-the same way an army commander may send in reinforcements to a help a unit that is in danger of losing a battle.

As a matter of fact, scientists may be able to pick the right set of stem cells and make them grow into an organ like the liver or the kidneys. That way, they could generate a lot of replacement organs that could be used for organ transplants as and when they are needed.

It is important to keep in mind that these are still possibilities. Until a lot more research is done on the subject, we cannot be sure.

In the near future, scientists will focus on developing treatments for more serious diseases for which there are no present cures.

Examples of the kind of research that is currently being done using stem cells include:

Diabetes: Scientists are trying to get the stem cells to turn into insulin-producing cells that could then be put inside the body of a person with diabetes.
Parkinson's disease: In Parkinson's disease, specific nerve cells in the brain are not working properly. If those cells can be created out of stem cells, they can be used to replace the diseased cells.
Heart disease: After a heart attack, a portion of the heart muscle dies. Scientists are trying to get stem cells to make heart muscle cells that would replace the damaged part of the heart.
Cancer: In many cancers, like breast cancer, treatments like chemotherapy and radiation can destroy the bone marrow. By using stem cells to re-create the bone marrow, doctors could use more powerful treatments to treat the cancer. Stem cells could also be used to create specific cells that could kill the cancer. If an organ or a chunk of tissue has to be removed or destroyed to get rid of the cancer, stem cells could be used to replace it.
Spinal cord injury: Stem cells have been used to make the nerve cells in the spinal cord. This may help or even cure people who have lost use of their arms or legs because of an injury to their spinal cord, such as "Superman" actor Christopher Reeve.
Crohn's disease: This illness is an autoimmune disease, where the body's immune system doesn't work properly and starts attacking normal cells. By removing these misguided immune cells and using stem cells to create healthy replacements, doctors hope to cure these diseases.
Genetic diseases: In many genetic diseases, there is a specific defect in the genes. Stem cells that do not have this defect could be used to correct the problem.

Originally posted by Modu$OperanDi
Those who don't think taking the VERY beginnings of human life (Cells) into research for the cause of those who are already alive and who will be alive in the futeure can support it easily and righteously. Those who think the 'MAGIC' happens when a baby is first conceived get all pissy, those who realize the 'MAGIC' is already all around us see the common sense in it.

Not even adressing your illusionary new age spirituality, the VERY beginnings of life, is still a life.

Originally posted by Modu$OperanDi

So by extension, can't the "magic all around us" crowd justify killing anyone cuz hey, "there's still magic all around us". Maybe you could explain how "magic all around us" makes killing ok.

You have proven your sick, anti-human nature, yet again.

Originally posted by nycflasher
happens...
pertains, good word.

some stem cell info from WebMD

Theoretically, virtually any disease could be treated by stem cells. Every disease that we know of happens because cells in the body either are not functioning right or because they are overwhelmed. So, for instance, after a heart attack, the muscle cells in the heart are not working properly and if they were replaced by normally functioning cells, your heart would be as good as new. In other diseases, your body has the ability to cure itself but it is overwhelmed. Stem cells can be used to create the cells in the body that are responsible for fighting these diseases and then putting them in the body-the same way an army commander may send in reinforcements to a help a unit that is in danger of losing a battle.

As a matter of fact, scientists may be able to pick the right set of stem cells and make them grow into an organ like the liver or the kidneys. That way, they could generate a lot of replacement organs that could be used for organ transplants as and when they are needed.

It is important to keep in mind that these are still possibilities. Until a lot more research is done on the subject, we cannot be sure.

In the near future, scientists will focus on developing treatments for more serious diseases for which there are no present cures.

Examples of the kind of research that is currently being done using stem cells include:

Diabetes: Scientists are trying to get the stem cells to turn into insulin-producing cells that could then be put inside the body of a person with diabetes.
Parkinson's disease: In Parkinson's disease, specific nerve cells in the brain are not working properly. If those cells can be created out of stem cells, they can be used to replace the diseased cells.
Heart disease: After a heart attack, a portion of the heart muscle dies. Scientists are trying to get stem cells to make heart muscle cells that would replace the damaged part of the heart.
Cancer: In many cancers, like breast cancer, treatments like chemotherapy and radiation can destroy the bone marrow. By using stem cells to re-create the bone marrow, doctors could use more powerful treatments to treat the cancer. Stem cells could also be used to create specific cells that could kill the cancer. If an organ or a chunk of tissue has to be removed or destroyed to get rid of the cancer, stem cells could be used to replace it.
Spinal cord injury: Stem cells have been used to make the nerve cells in the spinal cord. This may help or even cure people who have lost use of their arms or legs because of an injury to their spinal cord, such as "Superman" actor Christopher Reeve.
Crohn's disease: This illness is an autoimmune disease, where the body's immune system doesn't work properly and starts attacking normal cells. By removing these misguided immune cells and using stem cells to create healthy replacements, doctors hope to cure these diseases.
Genetic diseases: In many genetic diseases, there is a specific defect in the genes. Stem cells that do not have this defect could be used to correct the problem.

And all totally unnecessary. Again, Stem cell research cannot do anything we cannot already do with electrochemical stimulation.

The problem here is that this issue is now a political football that generates money and government power everytime someone takes a stand, or creates a law. It now will never go away, and will continue to misinform and dumb down citizens.

Originally posted by rtwngAvngr
So by extension, can't the "magic all around us" crowd justify killing anyone cuz hey, "there's still magic all around us". Maybe you could explain how "magic all around us" makes killing ok.

You have proven your sick, anti-human nature, yet again.

Killing of an aware being and 'killing' a couple of cells in a petrie dish is a very different thing.

Forum List

Back