Opera

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bosouX_d8Y]YouTube - Schubert - Ave Maria (Opera)[/ame]

a-night-at-the-opera.jpg

Ah, Maria Callas - probably the most famous of the divas. She had a hell of a good voice ... and a hell of a temper.

I wish opera would not be such a loathed art by some people. I would LOVE to see a live opera, because my feeling is that you actually need to be there in person to truly get the emotion of the performance. Well, at least I've had the pleasure of seeing live ballet.

Ah, Maria Callas - probably the most famous of the divas. She had a hell of a good voice ... and a hell of a temper.

I wish opera would not be such a loathed art by some people. I would LOVE to see a live opera, because my feeling is that you actually need to be there in person to truly get the emotion of the performance. Well, at least I've had the pleasure of seeing live ballet.

Hi Granny...love to see your avy...lol. Makes me smile. :)

Two immediate members of my family were classically trained in opera [Juilliard] and I grew up listening to Dad singing it. I came to love it very much.

So glad to hear from you, this beautiful day,

Aqua*

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXkjKf2WZ4M]YouTube - Mario Lanza/Luciano Pavarotti: O sole Mio[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr1WlGlw8KQ]YouTube - Eri gia tutta mia and Quel sguardo sdegnosetto by Monteverdi[/ame]

Very interesting, P F. :)

I offer:

A timeless classic by a beauty from Russia. I think I prefer it by Kiri Te Kanawa, from New Zealand. All of the Operatic sopranos sing it beautifully though. Anna's voice has some maturing to do, but she is soaring....*Love her*.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0diDwHtATw]YouTube - ANNA NETREBKO: O MIO BABBINO CARO[/ame]

I"m always in awe that anyone can sing like this.

I'm always in awe of finding a friend like you, Terry. :) One kewl lady...

Aqua*
Thank you Aqua, you're pretty cool yourself.

I like Anna's voice in the vid below. My jaw just hangs open to hear the sound coming out of their vocal cords. Just getting over laryngitis myself and I couldn't carry a tune before it. Wow, they surely have a gift!

Two immediate members of my family were classically trained in opera [Juilliard] and I grew up listening to Dad singing it. I came to love it very much.

Aqua*

Good school, Julliard. I was fortunate to have a teacher who went there - two of them, as a matter of fact. When I was a kid I sang in the Girls' Choir at the orphanage where I lived. Like the other girls (who I'm still in touch with after all these years), I loved music - it was a great escape - and the choir director was one of the two people who actually gave a damn about the kids in the home. When I came back to live with my mother I had the good fortune to have a HS music teacher who REALLY taught music/singing. We learned about the great masters whether we wanted to or not! And at that time I was still going to church - and the truth is it was the music that kept me there. The church organist was a Julliard graduate (she and my HS teacher knew each other) - and she taught us by the Julliard methods. I think she had either 6 or 7 choirs going on at that church for years - Cherub choir (she started kids at about age 4 and they progressed upward), teen choir, men's choir, full choir ... and nobody ever said "no" to her. She would call every week and say, "Don't forget choir practice tomorrow - I'll pick you up after school. Good bye, darling." We all said OK because that all we could get in!!

Aqua*

Good school, Julliard. I was fortunate to have a teacher who went there - two of them, as a matter of fact. When I was a kid I sang in the Girls' Choir at the orphanage where I lived. Like the other girls (who I'm still in touch with after all these years), I loved music - it was a great escape - and the choir director was one of the two people who actually gave a damn about the kids in the home. When I came back to live with my mother I had the good fortune to have a HS music teacher who REALLY taught music/singing. We learned about the great masters whether we wanted to or not! And at that time I was still going to church - and the truth is it was the music that kept me there. The church organist was a Julliard graduate (she and my HS teacher knew each other) - and she taught us by the Julliard methods. I think she had either 6 or 7 choirs going on at that church for years - Cherub choir (she started kids at about age 4 and they progressed upward), teen choir, men's choir, full choir ... and nobody ever said "no" to her. She would call every week and say, "Don't forget choir practice tomorrow - I'll pick you up after school. Good bye, darling." We all said OK because that all we could get in!!

Thank you Granny, for sharing a beautiful and educational part of your life. Music in our lives is elevating. So are people that care. :)

Went to the opera one time. My wife, son and I were the guests of a lady who was major figure in the Department of Music at IU, back then which was perhaps 1982. We saw Porgy and Bess.

The best part , and what I thought was really neat and unexpected at the time, was that as people are taking their seats and as they procede past the people who are already seated and are edging sideways they FACE those people who are already seated rather than turning their butts to them. It's a matter of courtesy to those already in their seats. As they move along sideways they smile and make polite greetings and are just friendly to those they pass by.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6Fr3I4fUAo]YouTube - The Evening Prayer - Kathleen Battle, Frederica von Stade[/ame]

I didn't like this so much. I just couldn't get past the puffy sleeves and the obvious can of hair spray applied to the one hairdo.

Yeah I'm different.

I couldn't get past the beauty of their harmonizing voices, and the melody from Humperdincks Hansel and Gretel, to critique their fashion styles.

Yeah, I'm different too...:lol:

I still want to dance with you to the long version of Freebird, though...:lol:

Thanks for your response, sweetie.

Forum List

Back